Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test drove an STi and EVO IX the other day

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonFibre
I just wanted to share my experience with you guys since I'm kind of in a dilemma on which car to get if either. I know on this site right away that most of you will recommend the Evo, but I'm posting for thoughts nonetheless. I'll quote my post/poll from another forum to make it easier so I don't have to write a completely new one. Is there a site or sites like EvoM for Imprezas/STis, etc.? Also, what are good tuners for STis? Does Vishnu do as good work for that car as on the Evo? I don't really know the other tuners for the car besides like HKS or something.

I'll say that the extra displacement on the Subaru makes a big difference in the feel comparing each engine, even with mivec.
If you haven't driven an MR, you should definitely make it a point to drive one. The suspension is much better in all regards and may very well sway you over to the Evo camp. I've driven a buddy's STi, and I have to admit that the interior is nicer than the Evo, but, for me, the driving experience of the STi just doesn't cut it. To me the Evo has much better reflexes, the STi is just too soft.

l8r)
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

both cars are amazing and like everyone else say, research and decide. make the right choice the first time, i think the evo is a lot more sexier than the sti but that's me, good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy if not you can always trade for the other or get both. good luck.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO X Owner-2-B
Yes, you say that to yourself to make yourself feel better. Furthermore, I think that is the biggest bunch of **** I've read in a while. I, for one, care big time if my car's roof is weighted down like a mother ******. The difference in feeling can be felt on any road. Timing? I could give a ****. It's all about the feel, dude.

I've had a rough day. Please forgive my potty mouth, everyone.
i dont have a sunroof...
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RTS EVO VIII
i dont have a sunroof...
I mean, say that to the SSL owners to make them feel better - too funny.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

^ i'm pretty sure if you lose 50lbs your RS would "feel" even better. "It's all about the feel, dude." ok, i'll shutup now.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Just to put that in perspective, if 53 lbs makes a difference you should be able to feel a difference with a close to empty fuel tank compared to a half tank. 7 gallons of fuel weigh about 58lbs. I understand the weight of the sunroof is up higher but being realistic MR/SSL amounts to diddly weight savings.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RTS EVO VIII
^ i'm pretty sure if you lose 50lbs your RS would "feel" even better. "It's all about the feel, dude." ok, i'll shutup now.
Yeah, I'd agree if I was strapped to the roof itself.

If I was to lose 50 pounds, wow! I'd be a feathery 80-some pounder. Screw the car. I'd feel like ****. I'm a little dude - 5' 8-1/2", 135-ish. I've grown to accept my race car driver physique.

I too found humor in that post that you're referring to. Those few choice words were used mostly for effect - mostly to get a laugh. Glad you enjoyed yourself, but not as much as I.

Last edited by EVO X Owner-2-B; Jan 6, 2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DrSmile
Just to put that in perspective, if 53 lbs makes a difference you should be able to feel a difference with a close to empty fuel tank compared to a half tank. 7 gallons of fuel weigh about 58lbs. I understand the weight of the sunroof is up higher but being realistic MR/SSL amounts to diddly weight savings.
Test, experiment, and you shall see ... Yes, perhaps the weight savings might mean diddly in the feeling of how much each car pulls while accelerating in a straight line, but the 6-speed still might have the edge over the SSL optioned IX. There are many factors, variables here. I was speaking of the sunroof's contribution to a higher roll center of gravity and its negative effect on handling.

Last edited by EVO X Owner-2-B; Jan 5, 2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 08:23 PM

Test driving the MR tomorrow and possibly an STi again. I'll post my opinion on it, most notably the gearbox differences.