Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test drove an STi and EVO IX the other day

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drove an STi and EVO IX the other day

I just wanted to share my experience with you guys since I'm kind of in a dilemma on which car to get if either. I know on this site right away that most of you will recommend the Evo, but I'm posting for thoughts nonetheless. I'll quote my post/poll from another forum to make it easier so I don't have to write a completely new one. Is there a site or sites like EvoM for Imprezas/STis, etc.? Also, what are good tuners for STis? Does Vishnu do as good work for that car as on the Evo? I don't really know the other tuners for the car besides like HKS or something.

I'll say that the extra displacement on the Subaru makes a big difference in the feel comparing each engine, even with mivec.

I am in the market for a new vehicle and was considering the two of these. I test drove both cars and they both seem pretty fun and quick. My last car was a 4 cylinder turbo, so there's no change on that front besides the additional power. The STi seemed to have less turbo lag as it runs lower boost and is a 2.5 liter with 300 hp while the Evo is a 2.0 liter with 286 horsepower, but also I didn't think about turbo lag until I drove the Evo, so it's possible that I didn't look for it.

The gearbox in the STi had an optional short shift throw kit, and the clutch travel was very small between the floor and its resting state, especially compared to my last car (Audi TT 1.8T 225). The clutch on the Evo had a little bit longer of a travel, but the big difference was the shifting. The throws on the Evo gearbox were a lot longer than in the STi as you can imagine. Also, the Evo didn't feel as smooth clicking in between gears as the STi, but this could just be it needing to be broken in.

The seats in the Evo are definitely better as they have more lateral support and fit my more slim body type better. I had forgotten that leather was available on the Evo, and the one I drove did have it. I could live with leather up where I'm living now as it doesn't get very hot up there, but down in Los Angeles back home the stuff gets really hot. I remember in a review of the STi them talking about how they made the seats wider for our market because us Americans can be pretty wide sometimes (especially comapared to the Japanese market). For besides the front seats, the Subaru has a nicer overall interior. The stereo system in the Evo is a better design for me personally when compared to the Subaru, but both are pretty good. I hate stereos that don't have a knob for tuning up and down on the radio. The Evo stereo was also more powerful since I suppose their sound package does more than the Subaru's.

The steering in the Evo is a bit lighter than the STi, but both are very tossable and quick to react to every input. The ride quality difference wasn't that noticeable, but the Subaru is sprung a little softer and has a little more body roll in the turns from what I've read on it.

I drove the regular 5 speed Evo IX and not the MR that has the different wheels, Bilstein shocks, vortex generator, and most importantly, the 6 speed transmission. Even if I were to get an Evo, I'm not sure which I would get yet although I'm leaning towards the MR.

As for styling, I like how the Mitsubishi looks much better. If I did get one, I'd replace the rear bumper with the Euro/Japanese spec one since it looks so much better. I'd also have to get rid of the awful front license plate mount which totally ruins the front end. When they first released the pictures of the third facelift of this model of Impreza, I thought it was hideous. But time has gotten me more used to the look and in person it made a pretty good impression on me considering what I had thought initially.

The dealership experience at Subaru was great (the place is a Dodge/Subaru dealer as the father runs the Dodge and his son runs the Subaru, go figure). They had 14+ STis and were very nice. At the Mitsubishi dealer, they only had 2 Evos, one on the lot and the other was the MR in the showroom. The salesman was sort of lame but a nice guy and the manager was a total *****, very controlling and barely even let us test drive the car. This doesn't really reflect on the brands too much for me because I'm sure there's good and bad dealerships all over for each brand.

I'm making a poll of this because I'm curious to know what you guys think of the cars and which you would rather buy and live with based on what you know about them or whatever. Both are around the same price and with very similar performance stats.

Last edited by CarbonFibre; Jan 5, 2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

Both are sick cars. I was in the same dilemma you are in right now. I took some time and thought about it for awhile. I personally love the way the STI looks and sounds. I do not like how the car drives. Yes, torque is nice, but you can always add power to the EVO. The EVO is alot more tuner friendly also. I have buddies with both and like I said both are sick cars. I will ultimately choose another EVO in about 4-5 months. Hopefully an MR. If you find the right Dealership you might be able to get the MR for just as much if not cheaper. Also from what I have read and know of a couple of people that have had this problem. The brackets on the new STI for the motor mounts are made out of plastic. I have known people braking them on launches. You can fix this by going aftermarket, but most Dealerships will void your warranty. If you do not care about a warranty then no big deal. I launched over 20 times and had 24k miles on my stock clutch with no problems at all with my EVO before I sold it. I have also noticed the EVO community is alot friendlier. Good luck to your decision.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:50 AM

I was in the same dilema a few months ago, I did tons of research, talked to several people and test drove both several times

the lower tq , better interior and different clutch are what sold me the STi

I love the Evo's styling, but for a DAILY driver, I would look into the Subaru

good luck
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:40 AM

Better interior?

the Type-C Sti is the only one with a nice interior.... blue stuff all over the insides of your car? no thanks. Untill the 2006 body re-style-ing I would agree it looks good, and the low end torque is much appreciated, but the new body style and bright blue accents on the interior decided it for me. I've just gotta sell my comic books and save a little more for my down payment on my Evo.

the type-c is a japanese domestic market edition only i think, doubtfull we will see it here, even though i think it would def sell more sti's.

-Eeky
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

Funny you said comic books. I was just going through mine Not selling them though.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 03:03 AM

Seriously, I based my decision on the Evo Body

The evo 8/9 body is the true hotness. If you were buying a used sti (not the new ugly front end one - also known as the 2006 sti) then I'm with you.

As for performance, the sti has a more rigid body, and the torque again is a solid selling point. But for style, mod, and community support I'd tell you buy an Evo.

-Thing #1 $7.00 USD (Almost Mint)

-Eeky
Old Jan 5, 2006, 03:11 AM

God I wish the Evo was a 2.5 liter also.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CarbonFibre
If you are thinking about doing any sort of engine modifications then get the evo8/9.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 03:20 AM

Yes, listen to Doogie Howser, he finnished college when he was 16.

Theres lots of good subaru stuff at a http://www.subydude.com/ - Enjoy!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 03:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eeky
Yes, listen to Doogie Howser, he finnished college when he was 16.

Theres lots of good subaru stuff at a http://www.subydude.com/ - Enjoy!
I think it might have been med school but regardless the evo9 is making silly power with a reflash. The IX is capable of running 12.7-12.8 with a 1.7 60'ft, however the average driver will most probably hit 12.9XX.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 03:59 AM
Evolving Member

I think it all comes down to your personal preferences. If you rather have better stability, more comfortable ride, more torque then go with the Impreza. If you want a car with better agility, handling, modification potential, looks, and more fun to drive then go with the Evo.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what I'm wating for a long time...
It can be a 2.2 or 2.3l but, Mitsubishi has to improve the low end torque!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by k270kmh
This is what I'm wating for a long time...
It can be a 2.2 or 2.3l but, Mitsubishi has to improve the low end torque!
the JDM EVO IX has less lag than what u guys are experiencing for the 06. I'm driving a EVO IX GSR running on mag turbo.. the on n off spool transition is barely there with very minimal lag.. i believe the boost comes in much faster as compared to what u guys have over there,,
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:41 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolved Monkey
I think it all comes down to your personal preferences. If you rather have better stability, more comfortable ride, more torque then go with the Impreza. If you want a car with better agility, handling, modification potential, looks, and more fun to drive then go with the Evo.
Couldn't have said it any better myself. But I would like to add that the MR rides just as 'nice' as an STI thanks to the Bilstein suspension.

Last edited by Rnm; Jan 5, 2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Is there a site or sites like EvoM for Imprezas/STis, etc.? .
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/

Quick Reply: Test drove an STi and EVO IX the other day