Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Greg and GSCmotorsports rock the house....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greg and GSCmotorsports rock the house....

So I had their version 1 cams with the sealant issues. Baisically the cams "looked" as if there were surface scratches on the cam lobes themselves due to their preliminary finishing process. This was brought to their attention and they decided to start micro-polishing them to completely resolve the issue. Everything spec wise between version 1 and their version 2 cams are identical...pretty much the only difference is visual. Anyways, I had the version 1 cams w/ the sealant issue. I called Greg up and asked if I could swap to version 2 free of charge. "No problem" was the response and they 2 day shipped the cams to me so I could get them in my car before I left for vacation. What a blessing in disguise this turned out to be. My car previously idled very rough, you could DEF. tell I was camming. I had always heard people say their cammed cars idle'ed much like stock, I couldn't help but think they were crazy. Apparently when putting in my first set of cams, there was a vaccum line that had been unplugged and not put back. This seems to be why my car idled the way it did. However, it was in a very well hidden place, so it went un-noticed to me for 10k miles. I had Topspeed install my version 2 cams. When I got the car back, it idle'ed like a CHAMP. Night and day difference, the car really does almost idle like stock....its a little more rough, but it doesn't chop like the car used to at idle. I am also pulling more vaccum now, which is no doubt a result of the fixed boost leak. Hell, the car idled so good, I called Greg to see if they had sent me straight 264's...I can't believe how good it idles now. Anyways, the version 2 cams def. run quieter than the version 1's did. Micropolishing is def. the way to go. I will say this, HKS may have the "name" but you can't beat customer service and GSC REALLY is one of the best companies when it comes to this issue. Greg answered every one of my question and even called me back when I left a message, something I have yet to get from any vendor I have bought from in my 5yrs of modding cars. Anyways, major props to GSC, Greg @ GSC, and Topspeed.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1.8t
So I had their version 1 cams with the sealant issues. Baisically the cams "looked" as if there were surface scratches on the cam lobes themselves due to their preliminary finishing process. This was brought to their attention and they decided to start micro-polishing them to completely resolve the issue. Everything spec wise between version 1 and their version 2 cams are identical...pretty much the only difference is visual. Anyways, I had the version 1 cams w/ the sealant issue. I called Greg up and asked if I could swap to version 2 free of charge. "No problem" was the response and they 2 day shipped the cams to me so I could get them in my car before I left for vacation. What a blessing in disguise this turned out to be. My car previously idled very rough, you could DEF. tell I was camming. I had always heard people say their cammed cars idle'ed much like stock, I couldn't help but think they were crazy. Apparently when putting in my first set of cams, there was a vaccum line that had been unplugged and not put back. This seems to be why my car idled the way it did. However, it was in a very well hidden place, so it went un-noticed to me for 10k miles. I had Topspeed install my version 2 cams. When I got the car back, it idle'ed like a CHAMP. Night and day difference, the car really does almost idle like stock....its a little more rough, but it doesn't chop like the car used to at idle. I am also pulling more vaccum now, which is no doubt a result of the fixed boost leak. Hell, the car idled so good, I called Greg to see if they had sent me straight 264's...I can't believe how good it idles now. Anyways, the version 2 cams def. run quieter than the version 1's did. Micropolishing is def. the way to go. I will say this, HKS may have the "name" but you can't beat customer service and GSC REALLY is one of the best companies when it comes to this issue. Greg answered every one of my question and even called me back when I left a message, something I have yet to get from any vendor I have bought from in my 5yrs of modding cars. Anyways, major props to GSC, Greg @ GSC, and Topspeed.

for GSC. But your Ideling problem wasnt any different from V1 to V2 it was your boost/vac leak. If that was fixed your car would idle like it does now.

Chris
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Greg is awesome!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TalonRcR
for GSC. But your Ideling problem wasnt any different from V1 to V2 it was your boost/vac leak. If that was fixed your car would idle like it does now.

Chris
Agreed, I was just saying how upgrading to the new cams helped in more ways than one. Not only did I get the latest revision, I also found out about the boost leak.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Greg is def the man