Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tow hitch question....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tow hitch question....

Is it possible to install a tow hitch or tow bar to the EVO? If so, what are the issues or problems with that? I think it would be nice to have the ability to tow a small trailer or to attach those bike racks to the EVO but I'm not sure it's feasible or advisable to add this thing to the EVO.... I'd like to see some pictures or hear some advise...

Thnx
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw a picture somewhere and someone had this done.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Putting a tow hitch on an EVO is like vomiting on a flower ! Do you think the flower will look good afterwards.... no. Don't vomit on your EVO !!!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

I've seen 1 or 2 custom hitches on evos for very light loads. Such as, an extra set of wheels when going to the track.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aux.
Putting a tow hitch on an EVO is like vomiting on a flower ! Do you think the flower will look good afterwards.... no. Don't vomit on your EVO !!!
well, I don't want to vommit on my interior by putting my muddy moutain bike in the back.

Since I already have a hitch mounted bike rack, a trailer hitch makes perfect sense.

There are several hitch mounts available for the Lancer, but they are not a direct bolt on due to our huge rear bumper skin. (FWIW: the JDM Evo 9 rear bumper has a little panel Just for the tow hitch reciever) That said, I plan on buying a lancer tow hitch, and modifying it to work with the EVO which should be a trivial amount of welding to make it fit.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
well, I don't want to vommit on my interior by putting my muddy moutain bike in the back.

Since I already have a hitch mounted bike rack, a trailer hitch makes perfect sense.

There are several hitch mounts available for the Lancer, but they are not a direct bolt on due to our huge rear bumper skin. (FWIW: the JDM Evo 9 rear bumper has a little panel Just for the tow hitch reciever) That said, I plan on buying a lancer tow hitch, and modifying it to work with the EVO which should be a trivial amount of welding to make it fit.
Oh, I thought it said tow HOOK cover.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BMan
Oh, I thought it said tow HOOK cover.
yes, but the lancer tow hitch I saw bolted up to the tow hook too

[edit]
Here is what I am talking about

typical install instructions
install instructions

The only problem is this hitch assumes a 3" drop from the reciever to the bumper beam. On the EVO we need 5" to clear the bumper skin.

That is the only thing keeping me from installing it right now, a 2" gap.

Last edited by chrisw; Jan 5, 2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

K, I get it.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

I have a custom hitch on my car made by a member on this board called "rallitrack" I believe. It was $120 shipped or something like that and it bolts on, no drilling. I used it to pull my waverunner and it works like a charm. BTW, it is VERY well hidden and you have to know what to look for to see it.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1.8t
I have a custom hitch on my car made by a member on this board called "rallitrack" I believe. It was $120 shipped or something like that and it bolts on, no drilling. I used it to pull my waverunner and it works like a charm. BTW, it is VERY well hidden and you have to know what to look for to see it.
I would love to see some pics
Old Jan 5, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

I will snap some for you tomorrow
Old Jan 5, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

I would love to see some pictures. My buddy has one and he had to trim about a 1/2 an inch at the bottom. Did you do this?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

No trimming or cutting involved.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the good input guys .. Oh yeah, what's this about vomiting? I don't get it. It seems to me that it's more kind on the car to use a tow hitch type bike rack that those that attach to the trunk. Those are more likely to mar the trunk, bumper or wing plus the bikes might bang against the car. Also, the aluminum roof could get damaged with a roof mount which I don't really want Anyway, why is it that somebody alway has to slam ppls ideas or questions? We are not all the same. As they say, one man's meat is another man's poison....... Oh yeah, I'd love to see those pictures too
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
Is it possible to install a tow hitch or tow bar to the EVO? If so, what are the issues or problems with that? I think it would be nice to have the ability to tow a small trailer or to attach those bike racks to the EVO but I'm not sure it's feasible or advisable to add this thing to the EVO.... I'd like to see some pictures or hear some advise...

Thnx

Do not put a friggin hitch on an EVO

Quick Reply: Tow hitch question....