Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo hood versus Carbon Fiber hood -weight savings amount?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2006, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100% bling imo...
when i took off the old hood...i held it up with one hand..it was soooooo light! the cf hood felt just the same to be honest!
Old Jan 6, 2006, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=174979
Old Jan 6, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by panem
yeah man just our hood is as light as the CF hood anyways. maybe even lighter than the CF hood. yeah the CF hood is for blings only man
man
Old Jan 6, 2006, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i don't know how many times i've told people to search this topic... cuz i made a thread about it for the very purpose of informing everyone.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

man one things thats up man is the cf is for a big "bling bling" factor man ifyou know what im tryin-to-say. Dont go with it man its a waste of money man
Old Jan 6, 2006, 08:44 PM

What's the difference between dry weave and wet weave as some have mentioned?

I hear Fiber Images makes good carbon stuff.

Not using pins can be dangerous though, as I even saw some dude with a highly tuned Audi S4 (B5) had his hood flip up while testing. The windshield was completely destroyed and the driver had a huge gash in his forehead that needed to be stitched up, it could have easily been his eye or eyes had he been a little more unlucky. I think part of the problem was that it was a modified hood. I think a well-designed carbon hood meant for use without pins could probably be safe.

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1383221.phtml
Old Jan 7, 2006, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like Robi can get a hood and trunk that actually save a good amount of weight.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 02:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonFibre
What's the difference between dry weave and wet weave as some have mentioned?

I hear Fiber Images makes good carbon stuff.

Not using pins can be dangerous though, as I even saw some dude with a highly tuned Audi S4 (B5) had his hood flip up while testing. The windshield was completely destroyed and the driver had a huge gash in his forehead that needed to be stitched up, it could have easily been his eye or eyes had he been a little more unlucky. I think part of the problem was that it was a modified hood. I think a well-designed carbon hood meant for use without pins could probably be safe.

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1383221.phtml
mmm i believe the difference is that dry lay cf also known as prepreg comes with the resin already in the weave. this means that the minimum amount of resin is used, that means it's lighter. but it also means that you need to have something to hold it's structure while you bake it in an oven that is obviously large enough for whatever you are making, in the case of a hood... that's one big oven.

wet lay is easier... cuz you paint/spray/apply the resin on... but... you can't paint so little as the prepreg and in order to insure strength you might have to over do it a little on the layers.

if you do what robi does and have the people strip the "extra" resin off.... then i guess you could get close huh? hehehe...

Originally Posted by DreamLike1
man one things thats up man is the cf is for a big "bling bling" factor man ifyou know what im tryin-to-say. Dont go with it man its a waste of money man
there's always at least one person that says this.... and i'm so tired of it... worth is totally subjective... i'd gladly pay 1000 bucks to save 7 pounds off the highest part of the heaviest end of the car. why? cuz weight savings is priceless.

Last edited by trinydex; Jan 7, 2006 at 02:16 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what i did on my gsx was to just wait till one of the jagoffs with a blinging cf hood crams his own fist in his *** by trying to sport his cf hawtness hood without pins and having it flip up like the audi driver mentioned before.

Then I step in with a generous offer to buy the busted hood, rip out the fiberglass understructure (the heavy part), and sport a busted *** cf hood with all sorts of cracking in the clear coat. Even with multiple hood pins it still flaps in the breeze like a limp dick, but it's nice ease of access with no hinges. who cares about looks anyways, these cars are never going to turn heads the same way a legitimate supercar does, but with the right parts we can embarrass them back into their owners garages.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 144mph
what i did on my gsx was to just wait till one of the jagoffs with a blinging cf hood crams his own fist in his *** by trying to sport his cf hawtness hood without pins and having it flip up like the audi driver mentioned before.

Then I step in with a generous offer to buy the busted hood, rip out the fiberglass understructure (the heavy part), and sport a busted *** cf hood with all sorts of cracking in the clear coat. Even with multiple hood pins it still flaps in the breeze like a limp dick, but it's nice ease of access with no hinges. who cares about looks anyways, these cars are never going to turn heads the same way a legitimate supercar does, but with the right parts we can embarrass them back into their owners garages.
Wtf? So true...but still wtf???