Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does stock EVO come with an Oil Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does stock EVO come with an Oil Cooler?

if yes, do you guys upgrade it?

if not, what's the best brand to install?

thnx!
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

yes, and we don't really upgrade the oil cooler unless it is really needed. 500WHP.com sells the nice oil coolers. check them out
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Evo are equipped with an oil cooler, you can see it from the front end on one of the side vents.. looks like a mini radiator.

I don't believe many people upgrade their oil cooler, but some have added fans and what not to it.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

passenger side, just in front of the wheel well, behind the bumper
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:31 PM

thnx

thnx guys ...that's awesome!!!

i just sold my rex for a E9 ... in the rex i had to install an oil cooler cos it didn't come with one ... how hot does your oil get when you guys track?

it used to be 120deg c w/o oil cooler for me on the rex, and after an oil cooler, abotu 105deg c .... 100 deg c = 212 deg f.

thnx!
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Where I live is pretty much the same climate as Singapore. Never had a problem with heat in my VIIIMR. I'd spend money on something else if I were you...

Don't have any numbers to hand. If you're worried about it I'd steer clear of all the 0W40 oils and go with 10Wxx minimum.

Never really heard of anybody with heat problems in their STi either. For the slightly older Sti's like GDB A or B a gear oil cooler has worked for some, but I think they've fixed the gears on the later models.

enjoy your ix

Last edited by x838nwy; Jan 7, 2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:35 PM

thnx mate ... i wasnt' thinking of upgrading at all ... just curions whether it came with one. if it did, and i just found out it does ... i'll spend the cash elsewhere !
cheers all
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The stock Evo oil cooler is huge. I have seen a friend of mine twins upgraded oil coolers on a RX7 TT and the Evo oil cooler is a good as a upgraded one.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:53 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alfcanada
thnx guys ...that's awesome!!!

i just sold my rex for a E9 ... in the rex i had to install an oil cooler cos it didn't come with one ... how hot does your oil get when you guys track?

it used to be 120deg c w/o oil cooler for me on the rex, and after an oil cooler, abotu 105deg c .... 100 deg c = 212 deg f.

thnx!
WRX/STi tends to run cooler due to its semi-closed deck design. You'd find the Evo will run hotter (closed deck design).

On a somewhat stock Evo, you WILL hit 130C easily, be it Pasir Gudang or Sepang. My advice is if you are an avid trackie, do one if not all of the following (in order):
1. T-off your intercooler spray line to spray water onto the oil cooler core
2. Do the same for the radiator
3. Upgrade your radiator
4. Finally upgrade the cooler itself

I have done 1 to 3. Temps are MUCH better compared to completely stock (I can now go on lap after lap at Sepang keeping it under 130C till either the brakes give way or the tires just couldn't keep up).
Old Jan 8, 2006, 04:13 AM

thnx GDB ... wow, 130deg c (that's about 270deg f) is certainly much hotter than the rex i used to drive ....

ok, will try to do as much of your suggestions .... how about the others? do you guys hit such high oil temps?