Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How to tell......

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to tell......

If you have a Walbro 255 lph fuel pump?
Is it louder? does it make a high pitched noise?

Reason for asking is last week, I purchased a Lancer Evo VIII from a local dealership, used, 2003, and the previous owner had did some mods, some of which are still on the car, Greddy FMIC, Greddy EVO2 Catback, CF rear bumper exhaust shield, and Perrin 25mm Rear Sway bar. I dont know what the fuel pumps sound like stock on these things vs and 255lph fuel pump, as the car came like this, so any advice/help will be greatly appreciated!

Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

it is a bit louder than stock if the fuel tank level is low. You won't hear it in the car, you will need to let it idle and stand by the driver side rear door. But if you don't know what stock sounds like, it will be very hard to tell.

The install for the Walbro is straight forward and fairly simple. If you have about an hour, you can pull the pump and know for sure what you have. The install instructions are here in the install section.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

same thing happened to me. I bought a evo used(didnt know what was on it.if anyhting)..i thought it wall all stock. When i was upgrading parts i took the old fuel pump out..and come to find out it was identical to my brand new WALBRO 255. SUCKS(so now i just got a spare) I think the only way to tell is if you take it out and look.lol Some people say its a little more noise from a 255 than stock..but i dont think enough for me to tell.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be able to hear it to some degree at all times inside or outside the car if it's a Walbro. It is usually a louder whine when the tank is low. The stock pump will make no noise ever.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

quick vid, hope you can hear it

quicktime :\

I can hear it from inside the car, but when im standing by the driver side rear door, its kinda loud, im also on a full tank

and thanks for the replies guys appreciate it
Old Jan 8, 2006, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say that most likely is a Walbro. That's what mine sounds like all the time.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks a ton Warrtalon, just to be safe, im going to have RRE check it out , or TT when i go for some work!