Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sean Ivey

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Tuned right' is one thing. Driving it over state, beating the crap out of the car in 35deg weather, and it still idling smooth like my lexus is something totally different.

I am around alot of cars with standalone. They never seemed to have that 'one-crank and fire' start-up that Sean's had. They always seemed to sputter a little or need a few minutes to warm up before you could drive them off. You know the standalone symptoms, i'm sure everyone knows what i'm talking about. I was just shocked that this level of 'driveability' existed for standalone guys with out a laptop in the backseat waiting for a quick hook-up.

By the way, you work at a mitsu dealer??
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know aem was having problems on the strat up. but then i thoguht you let it prim a little more and now its not as bad and even people say it starts up like a stock evo now. look on the aem forum was a nice fix for it. i can be wrong tho
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Now i see for myself that it IS all in the tune.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Hahaha, some of you guys must get paid to make these posts and stupid *** remarks that you do.

You had to know this would turn into a crap fest when you posted it so I won't hold anything back.

First off, the 2.3 EVO you are talking about with reference to our name in in the NYC area.

That car has the very first stroker in it we ever built. The car has NEVER blown up or had ANY engine failure other than the first week he had it (over a year ago now) it broke a valve spring. The car has been tuned by I don't even know how many other guys and even with some rather rediculous tunes in it, still never blew up.

Also, I did read the posts and did see you said "I never said it blew up". I am just making it crystal clear.

Now as far as reliability. That car is making some rediculous power. On straight 93 octane fuel on OUR dyno it made 450 whp. Forget about what it made on race gas as I'm sure they dont' want anyone to know. More power than any other car I have ever dyno'd on pump gas on our dyno, ever. The car was picked up a few weeks ago from being here for a re-tune and fixing of some hack work that was performed at another shop. It was suppose to go back to NYC on a trailer. Well after driving the car when they got here they were so pleased with the way the car drove it never went on the trailer and was driven home getting over 20 mpg on the way back.

Furthermore, the car has NO idle air control motor. Yes, there are other ways to make a car idle than an idle air control motor BUT when the weather and such changes and when the car cold starts it is much harder to get it to idle like a "lexus".

This particular car they called me on my way to dinner Friday night and told me it was surging at idle. After I asked some questions we figured out why. Somehow the idle was turned up to 1500+ rpm and the other parameters that were trying to control idle were making it do this as it was out of it's exceptable range.

A gear box and clutch failure surely have nothing to do with the tuner, other than making too much power and breaking parts.

Please know the entire story for comparison. A 45 minute drive isn't quite as long as a 10 hour drive. A 400 whp dynojet EVO isn't even close to the power this car made.

Thanks for you input and yes I agree Sean is a good tuner.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

Something else you have to consider when you want to talk about tuning is what the car is equipped with.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

This is why my first post said what it said. Dave, You've been in the mitsu biz longer than anyone i know. I have complete respect for you and what you have done for the 4g63 platform. If you read every post i wrote, you'll see that i made no mention of any tuning issues that the car in question had. I have alot of respect for that car and for the owner as well. There were no, i repeat NO negative mentions in anything that had to do with you, your shop, or anyone else for that matter. If you also noticed, i continued to make corrections responding to everyone that tried to light fires.

This thread is not intended to be a contest at the keyboards. I made a simple comment so that the people reading this thread could know that standalone can be your friend if in proper hands.

There is no need for you to defend yourself. Your reputation is priceless and i guess what brings you to this post is the 'ohio' comment. I'm sure 'bigbadquattro' didn't realize that it was a gearbox/drivetrain issue this time.

The guy that owns that car is a real good guy. We are all friends in our neck of the woods and are always on the same side of the bets.

"Hahaha, some of you guys must get paid to make these posts and stupid *** remarks that you do."
What does this stem from? Did i make a stupid remark? Did i not try to keep things cool in this thread the entire time? Did i state anything but facts?

I think you owe me an apology Dave. You lost your cool and didn't read through my posts before you started typing. You also forget that i met your face to face before and have no interest in degrading you or your company. I think i at least deserve the same respect.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4kinboost

Sean was with me when i first met Dave Buschur at an atco event. I think that was the first event the RWD yellow car came out. His knowledge of tuning i think comes from longevity like Dave, honestly these guys sleep, eat and drink Mitsu. and understand what keeps these motors alive and well.

How do you attack a guy that says things like this about you??
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by 4kinboost
"i cant say the same for that Evo with 2.3 600whp+ that keeps breaking every day"

LMAO!!!

Like i said, not looking to cause a raucus. But I have seen that car break more times than run. That is what I thought the world of standalone, and 500+hp cars was all about. (I heard 'rottentop' say the car was going 'back to the butcher' in the morning....lol

I guess he should "Do his research" before he spends the next wad of cash.

Because of this, you deserve nothing.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:45 AM
Evolved Member

I guess since you don't know the owner of the car, and you don't know our friend 'Rottentop' so you wouldn't know that the phrase 'back to the butcher' has more to do with the car's street name (those who know will know what i'm talkin about) than David's name or credibility. I'm sure Dave remebers that sticker on the trunklid of that car and can put 2 and 2 together. The rest of the comments i made addressing Dave's fantastic reputation on the street/strip only emphasize that the cars drivetrain issues have nothing to do with dave's engine build.

The "Do his research" comment is a direct quote from Sean's posts. Since we are talking specifically about this car now (and not how well Sean's car ran against the 911 which is why i started this post) the comment was directed towards a throw-out bearing issue that seems to plague many evo's with hd pressure plates. If the owner of the car "Did his research" he would have known of the preventative maintenece and this wouldn't have been the SECOND time it happened to him.

You see are so busy trying to be "inspector Gadget" and trying to discover what you can read between the lines instead of reading what was consistant in everything that i was saying. So I'll say it again in plain english. Sean Ivey's car is impressive. The driveability is fantastic and the car pulls like crazy with-out the side-effects of standalone ems.(no puffs of black smoke when you get on it, no idle surging, quick start-up etc etc.) Dave Buschur is considered by anyone who owns a fast dsm/evo to be the FATHER of the performance 4g63 platform.

Mustard. You try to defend Dave's honor and for that you deserve a pat on the back, but you are missing the point. I NEVER ATTACKED DAVE.
Please take some time and read through my posts again and read everything i wrote.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
So what exactly has been unreliable about the 2.3 car with full race gt35r kit? Is there a thread on that car somewhere?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:54 AM

OK, I will read over this thread.

Also, Ivey is the man.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:27 AM

Great. I stand by my posts.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 03:17 AM
Evolving Member

can someone elaborate more about this "unreliability", because from what i gather it has nothing to do with the tuning or engine itself, so i dont see how dave is involved.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 03:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tritech
can someone elaborate more about this "unreliability", because from what i gather it has nothing to do with the tuning or engine itself, so i dont see how dave is involved.

Thank you. That's what I have been trying to say.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 04:07 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=davidbuschur]Hahaha, some of you guys must get paid to make these posts and stupid *** remarks that you do.

You had to know this would turn into a crap fest when you posted it so I won't hold anything back.

First off, the 2.3 EVO you are talking about with reference to our name in in the NYC area.

That car has the very first stroker in it we ever built. The car has NEVER blown up or had ANY engine failure other than the first week he had it (over a year ago now) it broke a valve spring. The car has been tuned by I don't even know how many other guys and even with some rather rediculous tunes in it, still never blew up.

Also, I did read the posts and did see you said "I never said it blew up". I am just making it crystal clear.

Now as far as reliability. That car is making some rediculous power. On straight 93 octane fuel on OUR dyno it made 450 whp. Forget about what it made on race gas as I'm sure they dont' want anyone to know. More power than any other car I have ever dyno'd on pump gas on our dyno, ever. The car was picked up a few weeks ago from being here for a re-tune and fixing of some hack work that was performed at another shop. It was suppose to go back to NYC on a trailer. Well after driving the car when they got here they were so pleased with the way the car drove it never went on the trailer and was driven home getting over 20 mpg on the way back.

Furthermore, the car has NO idle air control motor. Yes, there are other ways to make a car idle than an idle air control motor BUT when the weather and such changes and when the car cold starts it is much harder to get it to idle like a "lexus".

This particular car they called me on my way to dinner Friday night and told me it was surging at idle. After I asked some questions we figured out why. Somehow the idle was turned up to 1500+ rpm and the other parameters that were trying to control idle were making it do this as it was out of it's exceptable range.

A gear box and clutch failure surely have nothing to do with the tuner, other than making too much power and breaking parts.

Please know the entire story for comparison. A 45 minute drive isn't quite as long as a 10 hour drive. A 400 whp dynojet EVO isn't even close to the power this car made.

Thanks for you input and yes I agree Sean is a good tuner.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

Well the car had no issues last night and Sean handed him his ***. Why don't ask Jeff and Marcus the outcome?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

ok this thread is nonsense without a story, here is all ive heard: sean ivey is a good tuner, he raced a gt2 and won, then someone complains about a 2.3 that buschur built, that wasn't even there? i dont get it

Quick Reply: Sean Ivey