Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Virtual/Real Guages

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virtual/Real Guages

I have an OBD2 reader that I leave hooked up to the car. It has a virtual gauge cluster that persists of air temp, coolant temp, intake manifold pressure, maf pressure, fuel pressure, speedo, and tach.

This is from the program DigiMoto. Just a sidenote, but can't seem to get it to display the maf or fuel pressure gauges. Maybe our cars don't provide that info through the OBD2 connection? Anyways, I got the reader mainly to clear CELs and check codes, but this virual gauge cluster is not too shabby. I'm doing the three gauge cluster setup and was planning to buy an oil temp/pressure gauges and water temp, but I don't see the point in a water temp now since the program displays this gauge. Should I still get a "real hardware" gauge or go for something else? I also own the PLX R-500 so I don't need a boost, egt, or afr gauge. How accurate are these virtual gauges (obd monitors)? My coolant after normal driving hits around 200F. Is that a normal temp?

Last edited by silex; Jan 9, 2006 at 01:43 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:45 AM
Evolving Member

your coolant hits 200F -which is about 90C --100C is boiling point. My defi's show about 90C as well, so you are good
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry about the wrong temp. If you noticed, I edited it minutes before your reply . Phew that's good to know and also tells me that I might not need to buy a hardware coolant guage! What are your thoughts on this? I believe I can get away without one, but now I still need a third gauge for my pod. Maybe I should opt for a fuel pressure or maybe a boost gauge just to have something mechanical to look at. The R-500 boost gauge, being electronic, might get on my nerves more than I can handle. I'm going with the Blitz BLM so my choices are limited. It's either boost, vacuum, fuel, or egt. I'm already getting both oils.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 08:10 AM

so these "guages" can only be seen when the laptop is plugged in there is now way to output those reading to real guages, correct?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

I'd have to check with the software, but that's a great question. I doubt it since I'd have to somehow connect the real gauge through my computer and I don't see how that is possible. According to miki it appears that since my temperature is within range, that the obd connection itsself has a rather accurate reader built-in. So I'm asking why bother with a real gauge? And yes, I would need the laptop always plugged in, but that's not a problem since it will be integrated for in-car use. I'm leaning more towards buying a mechanical boost gauge now instead since I've heard that electronic boost gauges tend to refresh too quickly to keep track of boost drop and creep.

Last edited by silex; Jan 9, 2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Thats cool, a lot better then blowing through AA batteries on my palm pilot
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump for some more info
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Lol thanks for the bump I was going to do anyways, but yeah, I'd love some more feedback. I'm about to purchase some gauges right now and I'm still contemplating getting a mechanical boost gauge instead of the coolant.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

have you thought about an in car computer with an lcd screen to have the gauges display at all times? without a laptop?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

I actually tried that before the laptop. I had a 1GHz P3 with a custom fiberglass case that I had mounted under the driver's seat. It was a tight fit, but worked. I wanted to for-go an in-dash screen this time around since my last one was stolen in the M3. Plus I thought it over and didn't want pillar or dash mounted gauges if I could avoid it. Plus the laptop works great through an inverter plugged into the lighter adapter, but the desktop always overloads it. Plus, I'd have to drill through the firewall and attach new wiring to the battery on new terminals. I don't mind doing it, but I'd rather avoid it if I could.It's a small sony Vaio with a 10.2" screen so I can even mount it on my dash while the keyboard hangs down over the front clock and ac vents or I could even build my own laptop stand (which I was leaning more towards).
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

oh okay... i was trying to imagine what all those gauges on a little 7 inch touch screen would look like. Chances are they wont even be visable.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Check out MP3car.com . There are actually vga touchscreens available that can run resolutions of up to 1600x1200 (most of them are widescreen though). they were developed to basically solve the issue of being able to use desktop gps software and have it still be readable. But still, I'd take my 10.2" screen to a 7" anyday. So how about helping me decide between the fuel, boost, or 'just sticking with the water temp' gauge? Also, anybody know why the obd device can't detect maf or fuel pressure?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

have you tried maybe contacting them? They might know a fix? This is on your evo ix right?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

digimoto
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Late Apex
have you tried maybe contacting them? They might know a fix? This is on your evo ix right?
Corrent. That's a good question. I'll email and seem but I bet it might have something to do with the IX and it's electrical system.

Originally Posted by dryad001
digimoto
WHY?!?!?!

Quick Reply: Virtual/Real Guages