Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

TBE or Cat-Back?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im wondering guys what test pipe wont involve the cel to turn on?
My evo has a stage 4 clutch, cams, DownPipe, 3'' HKS CB, but the dealership that sold it to me replaced the test pipe owner originally had on it and gave me the friggin stock cat. Not to jack this guys thread, but i was searching specifically through this one and we havent yet hit the issue of what cat delete/ test/ hi flow will lower the restriction best without throwing on the CEL. Thanks guys in advance... if possible can i have it pmd to me b/c im not too familiar /w this forum yet still trying to learn. Thanks guys.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

LoL it's okay. Your question is valid and plus it keeps my thread alive . Anytime you don' run a cat, you will throw a CEL. Of course you can also use a plethora of tools to reset the light including an obd2 device.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also use devices to prevent the CEL from coming on while using a test pipe.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

The great thing about leaving an obd connection on is that you can check for errors in real-time while the car is on. It's pretty sweet.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tbe
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

So am i correct in saying that if i buy any high flow cat/ test pipe, my evo will run a cat code?

How about codes that may follow like misfires? will those be caused by the cat code?

Also I have a OTC code scanner. Is this device sufficient to what you guys are refering to use in order to prevent or keep the CEL from coming.

I appreciate the help. Im so used to the honda world where all i have to do is get a conversion harness, obd1 computer and make a chip at friends job and soder the biotch down. I love my VIII tho .
Thanks in advance , as always;
Hyperfection
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

BTW reason i asked about the MF codes is because prior to having my CEL on, My otc scanner picks up additional codes such as misfires. I was told by the dealership this is responsive to having a test pipe. I was just wondering if they where correct in this guess b/c i see how a code can throw a MF if designed to fire at difference oxidation levels, but i dont trust dealerships. And would there be any EMS way to improve to fix the caty code...
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:53 PM
Account Disabled

Silex & Pog0 have you considered going to the precision dyno day in San Diego?
Old Jan 13, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

I'd love to...what are the five W's and H? Well, mostly When, Where, and How much?

Small update. Well really a BIG update, lol. Just purchased the RnR 3" TBE so looks like the TBE prevails in the end .
Old Jan 13, 2006, 02:32 PM
Account Disabled

Green light Honda/acura I think it's on Ronson Rd. The total is $750 (350 ecutek, 300 tune, 100 for dyno time). Feb 4 &5 I believe. You can sign up in the precision dyno thread. They Only have two people signed up. RnR will be there. I'll be there