Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

TBE or Cat-Back?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBE or Cat-Back? Retrictive?

I want to go cat-back originally in order to maintain my factory warranty, but then if I choose to, I could always replace the cat and pipe from the turbo. What I was wondering is the difference in power output with a tuned cat-back versus full tbe. I plan to keep the mods to a minimum, but will be doing such things as intake, bov, piggyback/standalone ecu, and lots and lots of tuning. I want to keep the hardware to a minimum on this car and will be retaining most of the stock parts. It's a IX and after and I get the killer upgraded turbo and MIVEC so it makes sense to me. I want to see what this car in mostly stock trim is capable of. With this in mind, I'll probably end up with an aftermarket ecu before anything else. The car is totally bone stock right now and at the moment I'm doing only reliability and aero mods like gauges, alarm, electronics, etc.

I'm curious as to see if anybody who is running standalone, piggyback, or flash, has a cat-back and their results with their mix of mods. I've read enough of people who have full tbe's and their results, but I truly want to know if a cat-back is that much more restrictive.

Last edited by silex; Jan 9, 2006 at 02:17 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:52 AM
Evolving Member

I highly reccommend the Vishnu Xede program if ur wanting to tune urself and if you want to tune in real time get the S.M.A.R.T upgrade trust me ull like it and it can be removed in mintues unlike a flash
Old Jan 9, 2006, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You'll get a lot more power from a full TBE then just a cat-back.

Also, you should read more stuff on this site about BOVs and Intakes, there really not the best mods for an EVO.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CoEvo05
I highly reccommend the Vishnu Xede program if ur wanting to tune urself and if you want to tune in real time get the S.M.A.R.T upgrade trust me ull like it and it can be removed in mintues unlike a flash
I've heard of this piggyback, but what does the SMART upgrade do? I heard it makes tuning alot easier, but how so?

I've read enough, Evo Kid, to know that aftermarket intakes don't do much and that a drop-in K&N filter is all you need. It can hold up to 400awhp no prob. Also the BOV is unecessary as the stock can hold boost fine. It's when you want to run higher octane gas and boost over 21psi where a metal jdm of aftermarket will come in handy. What both come down to is if you want something that looks nice and sounds nice, that's all. This is why I don't plan to either for awhile and also wait to do the tbe/cat-back until I purchase a standalone or piggyback system (like the recommended xede above) to tune it.

Last edited by silex; Jan 9, 2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Get the full turbo back. It isn't much more, but gives you much better gains.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RnR Racing
Get the full turbo back. It isn't much more, but gives you much better gains.
Much better as in how much better that's what I'm curious about. And RnR, I'll be coming in soon for some work don't cha know .
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

15whp vs 35whp
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

On the IX you will gain 20 AHWP at least with a TBE vs. stock. Same day I had my car tuned a non modded IX got the treatment and that was the difference between both cars after the tune on a dyno dynamics.

Before the tune it was worth 10 AWHP over stock.

When your under the car you might as well swap the whole thing out is my .02
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys I really appreciate the specific numbers! The other question I had was if you're pulled over without a cat, specifically here in socal, will you get impounded on the spot or just get a fix it? I'm not going to do anything to will attract unnecessary attention, but just want to make sure.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

the spool responce is immense with the TBE....DO IT
Changing the exh manifold helps a bunch too.....I did, and it was worth every penny!!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. I do want to be on my dealership's side when it comes to mods though. I don't mind doing this stuff if they won't get on my case about it. I guess I'm just weary of screwing something up. I know personally I won't do anything stupid like that, but say something like my windows actuator breaks and then the dealer won't do the fix because of my mods. That's just dumb.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

well if your worried about warrenty then u should think twice about a standalone or a piggyback...

but the smart upgrade allows you to tune in real time instead of uploading and changing maps
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I see, thanks. I thought with a piggback or standalone you can use a quick disconnect harness? I can swap the stock ecu in anytime.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

yeah you can the xede it pretty much plug and play you only have to splice (pull out of the harness) the boost wire and thats it but better not let ur stealership know lol
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

In SD, if the cop see that you have no cat, your car CAN get impounded. Most cops wont even bother to look under the car, but they will make sure that you will have to pay a visit to the state ref if it looks like you have mods. I am getting a high flow cat just in case... I mean what's a few HP for peace of mind that you won't get harassed and fined for no cat.