Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bent my wheel hitting a curb

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the alignment might be off, but check to see if it's only the rim that's causing the vibration and stuff.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

i saw a set for 300 in the for sale section (2 were curbed iirc)
Old Jan 13, 2006, 03:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you do wheel balancing after changing your wheels? That could be the reason for the vibration.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.fixrim.com/
they fixed my rim when it got bent(my brother did it)..fixed price and they will even repaint it back....after that I purchased an alignment package good for 5 years unlimited from a reputable shop so I get my tires aligned every tire rotation...G/L!!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Alignment check is certainly a very good thing. Also get the car up on jacks and look at all the parts connected to the wheel hub. Chances are if the car can be aligned, then nothing is bent. If vibrations persists after the alignment, it's probably the wheel bearings or some bush in your suspension.

If you hit it on full lock, then the steering rack and linkage might need looking at. Once had a steering linkage broke in the middle of a 80mph corner. Straight into barriers. Even the roof was bent!

Hope it works out for you man...

Last edited by x838nwy; Jan 13, 2006 at 05:27 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Well I had my wheel balanced when I put my new rim on. The steering wheel doesn't shake when i'm driving. It only vibrates when I go to switch lanes to the right at speeds past 45mph. I'm not sure what it is but i'm having it looked at today so hopefully that does the trick.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

If u bent a rim, you bent a control arm, if you bent a control arm you shoved the CV shaft into the tranny, if you bent your control arm you bent a strut, if you bent a strut, in most cases you bent a kuncle, if you kit the curb really hard, you probably bent the control arm ALONG with the subframe. Don't worry to much about the CV shaft, in most cases it usually isn't damaged, but the rest probably is, you looking at about 1500 to fix it your self with OEM parts from the dealer, 1000-1200 for discounted online parts and about 2500-3000 for a shop to do the work, it's not that hard to repair this, i did it on my RSX and i was able to fix it quite easily, also get an aligment after you replaced everything
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Holy crap 2500-3000 to fix it. I'm taking this to insurance.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Alignment check is certainly a very good thing, If that dose not fix it, take it to the dealer and see if it will be covered under warrenty.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

I just got back from the shop. They check everything and tie rod isn't bent, control arm isn't bend also the strut looks fine. The guy told me it's the Wheel bearing that's messed up. He gave me an estimate of 330 for the repair and that's including labor. I went to precision tune which is like a jiffy lube and they told me the bearing was bad also but their price was highway robbery. They wanted 359 just for the bearing when the first guy told me the bearing was only 179 and that's for the whole hub from Mitsubishi. I lucked out this time and will never do this again. 650 bucks in damages to learn.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

your lucky.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

get a new one. its that simple.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Yep getting it fixed on monday because I had to get the part from Mitsubishi and most places were closing. The dude at precision was acting like a little girl. At first he was like you can drive and i'll just sit and the passenger seat and listen to the noise. Then two seconds later he was like if you don't mind can i drive, it's like a once and a lifetime chance for me to drive this car. So i said sure go for it and we went around the block until he heard the noise and said it's definately the left bearing that's making that noise. I then asked him if he wanted to go around the block again but this time I said go for it so he gunned it. I'm pretty sure he came in his pants. He was like are you sure this is stock. I assured him that it was bone stock. My evo made another persons day today.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Is there a possibility that something internal can be wrong even though the control arm, tie rod, struts are not bent? I assume that those are the 3 first things to break and are signs of problems but if they are ok would it be safe to assume that everything else is ok. The alignment is only off by a little bit and the guy told me I didn't really need an alignment unless I really wanted to get it. Let me know if theres anything else I should look for.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

the same happened to me last year with your exact problems.what needed to be replaced was the control arm,ball joint,and a new wheel.they all covered it under warranty cause i lied to mitsubishi .but the oem wheel was a pain in the butt to find good luck.

Quick Reply: Bent my wheel hitting a curb