Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need your advices about Alarm!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True, I think a pair of Energizer last about 6 weeks.

Originally Posted by static63
The 791xv remote goes through batteries pretty quick. The remote is also fragile, if you get one be careful. They are also expensive to replace!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
IMHO, compustars suck!!! I have seen them before they were installed and have seen the insides of the units. DEI uses military technology and are far more advanced, simple to operate, and install than anything else out there. And they dont give trouble unless you drop that very expensive remote. ($161 at Best Buy or $80 on ebay.) The 791 is an excellent system but if you can find a clifford rsx 3.5, it would be a lil better. Some ones gonna come on here and say that they are the same but TRUST me, there are some lil differences that make the clifford better. Lojack is cool too but you cant remote start your car with it and it doesnt have a built in turbo timer.
Do you think the Viper one may casue some problem such as dead battery of the car becasue i have heard about it from someone.. thanks So, what are the little difference betweem the Viper and Clifford?

Last edited by alexyim; Jan 10, 2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a Viper 791xv. Yes, they go through batteries very often, like once every 3-4 weeks. I have a compartment full of extra AAA batteries in my car just for that purpose. Yes, they are fragile, as I've dropped it many times. My transmitting doesn't work anymore and I cannot arm/disarm my car. I'm currently getting this checked out though. Most like it's an isolated incident.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
I have a Viper 791xv. Yes, they go through batteries very often, like once every 3-4 weeks. I have a compartment full of extra AAA batteries in my car just for that purpose. Yes, they are fragile, as I've dropped it many times. My transmitting doesn't work anymore and I cannot arm/disarm my car. I'm currently getting this checked out though. Most like it's an isolated incident.
He's referring to the car battery draining, perhaps due to excessive leakage current in the electronics (unlikely), or maybe a bad installation. If this happens to you, you can probably diagnose the problem easily with a current meter.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the viper also. I dunno how some of you change batteries every 3-4 weeks. Turn off the led light, you don't need it at times. That is what killing your batteries. My batteries last for 2 months. Go with viper or clifford. They are pretty much the same.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alexyim
Do you think the Viper one may casue some problem such as dead battery of the car becasue i have heard about it from someone.. thanks So, what are the little difference betweem the Viper and Clifford?
No, chances are that problem was caused by improper install or something else in the car. The Siren on the clifford is better built and the shock sensor is a little better than the dei clear universal one. The antenna jack on the brain has security walls to stop the antenna plug from possibly shifting slightly over time thereby preventing range issues. And the remote is more low key, carbon look versus electric blue of the viper. The same alarm yes but if you can find the clifford for the same price, i would buy that.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_rc
I got the viper also. I dunno how some of you change batteries every 3-4 weeks. Turn off the led light, you don't need it at times. That is what killing your batteries. My batteries last for 2 months. Go with viper or clifford. They are pretty much the same.
Here in CT it gets cold, I remote start my car every nite and every morning. You will go through a battery a month if you use it like me. And the LED should remain off or else it will consume more juice. Just get a 12 pack of energizer or something and you'll be good for the year.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

I don't use the LED, and I've gone through many batteries.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 02:39 AM
Evolving Member

I`ve put a Prestige Informer alarm on my car! (i think its made by audiovox)
It has a remote start, turbo timer, in car temperature on remote...and other cool stuff!
The install took like 4 hours... so many boxes and wires i havnet seen in my hole life!
Anyway, its nice and it works well!
Do u know anything about it...couse i have it for a week?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

This LED that you guys are talking about -- is it the red one that's typically installed on the steering column that blinks when armed? LEDs take a max current of 20mA or so, and when it's blinking intermittently, I just don't see how you can get any kind of car battery drainage when using it, unless you car sits undriven for a couple of years.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

No, it's the backlighting on the keychain LCD. You have the option of turning it off or on.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

I have a viper in my evo, no idea which one it is, but it works well.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thoe99
No, it's the backlighting on the keychain LCD. You have the option of turning it off or on.
thank goodness. thanks for clearing that one up for me. gonna get a 10.5X this week!
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

About the batteries on the remote control, they don't last not because of the backlight (I have it turned off), but because of the 2-way feature. The remote control is constantly sending a signal to the car to see the current status of the alarm, this drains the battery quite fast. You can disable this feature and have batteries for over a year, but then again why did you buy a 2-way alarm?