Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Octane Boost?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2003, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Octane Boost?

Ok for those that can only get 91-92 octane, what about the octane boosters that you can add to your gas tank? Do these work or are they just a waste and can be harmful?

Has anyone used any, and if so please advise.
Also how does the stuff mix when you ad a bootle to say 91 octane gas? Pining only happens when you run too low of octane gas right?

This might help others that can only get 91-92 octane gas in there areas. Since seeing that the evo likes the higher octane.

Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Ummmmm 33 hits and nobody has a response?

Somone has to know a little about this.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

I think it has been covered before, most people thinks those booster doesn't do too much for your car. do a search, there are couple of treads talking about making your own unleaded race gas
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

i remember someone on this board saying that some octane boost can leave deposits. i don't see how it could hurt as long as you get one that says it won't leave deposits, actually alot of the octane boosts "say" they will clean out the deposits. can't really give you a definate answer though, sorry.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your better off mixing in a little 100+ with your 91 cal CBG gas. I really have not heard of an octaine boster that works.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:31 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Adding toluene from your local paint store would be a good octane booster. It was discussed on nasioc.com. Try a search
Old Mar 26, 2003, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Toluene or xylene. Octane boosters from the store dont do anything... The raise it about a point. Not 92-93, about 92-92.1
Old Mar 26, 2003, 05:14 PM

Octane boosters do work. However they don't raise it that much. For example when a bootle of octane booster claims a gain of 9 points. this really means .9 octane points. So if you bought this bottle and put it into a tank of 91 octane it would bring you up to 91.9 octane....

and yes you can get it from your local paint store.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Octane boosters are Xylene/Toluene. If you want a true booster, run a 10-30 percent mix of Xylene/Toluene in your gas. That will bump you up substantially. I am well rehersed on the topic.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by BADWRX
Octane boosters are Xylene/Toluene. If you want a true booster, run a 10-30 percent mix of Xylene/Toluene in your gas. That will bump you up substantially. I am well rehersed on the topic.
now im just wondering if this will damage the engine after using it for a while? and how much of a boost are you talking about? thanks for any info
Old Mar 26, 2003, 09:49 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Here is some info.

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by gtr
Here is some info.

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html
wow, thanks
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BADWRX

As a previous WRX owner I have read many interesting octane booster threads on i-club and Nasioc. Anyone wanting to get the low-down needs to spend an evening doing some searches and filing the info for future reference.

As mentioned above, Xylene and Toulene appear to be the best for home brew hi-octane. MMT appears to work, but seems to have some undesirable side affects like coating your plugs and 02 sensor with a thin red metallic coating...oh and also plugging-up your cat over a period of time.

I was just in one of the chain auto parts stores recently, and they had a box full of small glass vials with the simple label MMT on them. It claimed that one vial mixed with I think 15 gal would result in a 2 point increase in the octane rating. I think some of the other octane-booster-in-a-can products may also contain MMT. The EVO car manual states clearly do "NOT" use fuels containing MMT additives!

I am fortunate to have 93 available on a regular basis in the St.Louis area and thats typically all I ever need.

Here are a few links:
http://www.idavette.net/hib/fuel/

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/a...e/mmt_cmts.htm
Old Mar 26, 2003, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

the NOS octane booster for drag or street is proven to give u like 1 hp...somewhere along the line....but it leaves a residue in your pipings. and its easy to detect the residue...definitely void warranty...

and besides octane boosers are supposed to be used for old ****box cars with loudass ping noises with the engine...
Old Mar 26, 2003, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
er.........my friend's civic used some octane booster and it ****ed the engine, reallll bad...he had to replace lots of stuff, cost him a lot

Quick Reply: Octane Boost?