Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX Stroker build-up

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2006, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX Stroker build-up

Hey all,

Just wanted to share some exciting information about an Evo IX that we are working on here at the shop. First off let me explain that the customer wanted to build an ultimate street Evo that can be driven everyday and even on long trips from NY to FL. We gave some suggestions and this is what we came up with....

We decided to stroke the motor along with some other minor supporting modifications to take advantage of the new Mivec head and new turbo. First we tore down the motor completely and wanted to see the exact difference between the Evo8 and the Evo IX motors. I won't bore you with all the details, but let's just say there are plenty of differneces. Even the spark plugs are a different size!

Anyway, some of the minor modifications:

HKS exhaust
HKS Twin Fire Ignition
HKS Intercooler
HKS SSBOV
HKS Downpipe
HKS Intake
HKS 272 exhaust cam
Forge boost controller
Walboro Fuel pump
680cc injectors

Pruven Stoker Motor:
Balanced and bluprinted 2.3 liter
Balance shaft removal
Pruven Pistons
Manley rods
Mitsubishi crank

Dynoflash custom tune

We also left the stock cat as to keep the car 100% emmissions legal. Let me tell you what an unbeleiveavle carthis has turned out to be. I almost never post on here, but the car came out so good that I had to share this experience with you all. We got the car running this past Wednesday and were unable to get the car completly tuned due to time constaraints. One thing I'd like to mention is that for a car with injectors and a cam, this car idles like stock. You couldn't tell this car has any major modifications done to it especially with the nice and low toned HKS exhaust.
Al from Dynoflash was going away on Thursday and was not coming back until today. So we get the car back on the dyno and all I can say is this car is unreal. We started with low boost and we making some nice torque numbers, somewhere in the 370 range with only 18 psi on pump gas. The horsepower was somewhere around 330. As Al from dynoflash was flashing the ECU we were gaining more and more power. Once we peaked out on the pump gas, we decided to put in the race fuel. We didn't really expect much since he has his factory cat still but were amazed at the levels of torque the car was achieving at a mere 26 psi on the stock turbo.

We are done dynoing for the evening, but tomorrow, for testing purposes only we will be dropping the exhaust to see what kind of horsepower numbers the carwill make. I'm not too sure the car will make much more torque since the at the wheel numbers were insane, but I do believe by taking the cat off, for testing purposes, we will break the 400 at the wheel mark!

By the way, the final numbers were, (and these are at the wheels) 375 HP and 490 torque! Just for fun we compared the graphs of a modified Viper (10 cyl) vs this Evo IX and they were dead equal in their torque. This Evo is an absolute monster. After we pulled it off the dyno, I drove it through the parking lot to do a test run and all I can say is this car drives like a Viper.

I am going to attach a dyno sheet of his stock Evo vs. his newly modified Evo. I will keep you guys posted on how this car does tommorrow....
Attached Thumbnails Evo IX Stroker build-up-ixstroker.jpg  

Last edited by Pruven; Jan 10, 2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

nice work and great numbers ..... what was the total cost for the build up and all the mods???
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pruven
Hey all,

Just wanted to share some exciting information about an Evo IX that we are working on here at the shop. First off let me explain that the customer wanted to build an ultimate street Evo that can be driven everyday and even on long trips from NY to FL. We gave some suggestions and this is what we came up with....

We decided to stroke the motor along with some other minor supporting modifications to take advantage of the new Mivec head and new turbo. First we tore down the motor completely and wanted to see the exact difference between the Evo8 and the Evo IX motors. I won't bore you with all the details, but let's just say there are plenty of differneces. Even the spark plugs are a different size!

Anyway, some of the minor modifications:

HKS exhaust
HKS Twin Fire Ignition
HKS Intercooler
HKS SSBOV
HKS Downpipe
HKS Intake
HKS 272 exhaust cam
Forge boost controller
Walboro Fuel pump
680cc injectors

Pruven Stoker Motor:
Balanced and bluprinted 2.3 liter
Balance shaft removal
Pruven Pistons
Manley rods
Mitsubishi crank

Dynoflash custom tune

We also left the stock cat as to keep the car 100% emmissions legal. Let me tell you what an unbeleiveavle carthis has turned out to be. I almost never post on here, but the car came out so good that I had to share this experience with you all. We got the car running this past Wednesday and were unable to get the car completly tuned due to time constaraints. One thing I'd like to mention is that for a car with injectors and a cam, this car idles like stock. You couldn't tell this car has any major modifications done to it especially with the nice and low toned HKS exhaust.
Al from Dynoflash was going away on Thursday and was not coming back until today. So we get the car back on the dyno and all I can say is this car is unreal. We started with low boost and we making some nice torque numbers, somewhere in the 370 range with only 18 psi on pump gas. The horsepower was somewhere around 330. As Al from dynoflash was flashing the ECU we were gaining more and more power. Once we peaked out on the pump gas, we decided to put in the race fuel. We didn't really expect much since he has his factory cat still but were amazed at the levels of torque the car was achieving at a mere 26 psi on the stock turbo.

We are done dynoing for the evening, but tomorrow, for testing purposes only we will be dropping the exhaust to see what kind of horsepower numbers the carwill make. I'm not too sure the car will make much more torque since the at the wheel numbers were insane, but I do believe by taking the cat off, for testing purposes, we will break the 400 at the wheel mark!

By the way, the final numbers were, (and these are at the wheels) 375 HP and 490 torque! Just for fun we compared the graphs of a modified Viper (10 cyl) vs this Evo IX and they were dead equal in their torque. This Evo is an absolute monster. After we pulled it off the dyno, I drove it through the parking lot to do a test run and all I can say is this car drives like a Viper.

I am going to attach a dyno sheet of his stock Evo vs. his newly modified Evo. I will keep you guys posted on how this car does tommorrow....
Nice numbers... So if some how I got a hold of a evo 9 complete head and ecu what else would be needed to get it running
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

nice
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

holy friggen torque batman
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

i think i'm sold on MIVEC now..
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

that power curve is like V8! max power comes before 4000 rpm! it is one torque monster car. He should go to the track and make the record runs.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

That is some impressive torque. Which clutch, can't imagine the stocker will last long.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

this is rediculous. Could an 8 owner expect these results with the same modifications? My guess is sadly, no
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:50 PM
Account Disabled

A 2.3 On a IX turbo? You should be able to get a MASSIVE torque spike for sure on a Evo VIII, why not?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course not without the IX turbo and MIVEC, but you'd definitely get a similar TQ/HP profile with a 2.3L stroker...
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:13 PM
Account Disabled

The main advantages with the IX and in the revised head design which is much more knock resistant than the previous 8. The coolant passages have been redesigned in the head abd block to keep the temps down near the exhuast valves. It has had a huge impact on tuning. Also - the ecu itself is greatly advanced - a huge leap forward in resultion and computing power.

The more IX's I tune - the more I am yearing to put the Dyno Flash Evo up for sale and get a new IX RS to start modding again.

The IX simply has some serious advantages that would take a lot of work to translate to the 8

back in the day - I had a 2002 WRX and I was the first one in the USA to buy a JDM C SpEC STI and transfer the entire ecu and power train into the WRX. It basically took getting a whole wrecked STI and moving everything over.

BTW - in any Evo 8 with STOCK turbo a 2.3 L is a mod which would yield an amazing street car - the stroker gives you 500 rpms faster spool and massive instant tq - its a really nice combo.

Just dont expect to make quite as much as the IX on a 8 - it will be close but the IX has the edge for many reasons.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

amazing work as usual Dan!!!!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:14 PM
Account Disabled

The car recieved a Exedy Twin Disk Clutch also
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:16 PM
Account Disabled

Kudos to the team at Pruven for as always doing a amazing job on this set up.

The entire job from start to finish took less than 3 weeks.

Quick Reply: Evo IX Stroker build-up