Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Battery dies :(

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery dies :(

My Battery dies in 2 days due to my car alarm. I have Copustar 2WSSR. Is it tipical? I mean It doesnt matter if the alarm is on or not, If I dont drive it for 2 days the Bat voltage goes to 11V and I cant start the car.

Please let me know, if its tipical with alarms?? (Battery used to last 2 weeks in the car without driving it, before alarm went in)
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

no its not normal, i used to have the exact same alarm on my '03, left it for over a week all the time and it started right up every time
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

That does not seem right. Look over your wiring or take it back to the shop where it was installed. It seems like you have something that is drawing to much power. Have you added anything to it, leds, etc. The only thing that would be pulling much power to my knowledge would be the led. I have a alarm by Python made by dei and I can leave my evo for a week w/o starting it and she starts right up. Good luck.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

the battery in my viper alarm remote died in like 1 month... i was so annoyed. i'm wondering if it was just a defective battery.

anyways my viper alarm can sit for a couple days without killing the battery
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Was anyone near the car during those 2 days when you aren't driving? If so was the alarm going off like every other minute? Some alarm might burn a lot of energy due to a secondary siren and stuff like motion sensors, but if it was just sitting still there and the alarm never went off there's something definitely wrong.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Thats the thing, The car was in the garage and the alarm is off. The led is not on (actually they have to fix that also, they said it burned out). I'll post back the result of all this after I go to the shop.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mikiblueeyes
Thats the thing, The car was in the garage and the alarm is off. The led is not on (actually they have to fix that also, they said it burned out). I'll post back the result of all this after I go to the shop.
Look at any datasheet for a typical LED, and you'll find that the current spec is about 20mA. An LED wouldn't kill a car battery that quickly. However, if they said that the LED burned out, that's bad. The only thing that can kill an LED that quickly is to send more current through it than it's actually spec'd for. So I'd think that there's something up with the alarm. Of course, if the LED burned out, then that's not the true source of the battery dying -- there would have to be something else in the system drawing lots of power.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have any amps, or anything else aftermarket that could be drawing power???
Old Jan 12, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

I disconeted my amp. Just incase and it doesnt do any difference. I will take it for diagnostic, they need the car for a day though.