Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

04 Evo: Common Problems?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2006, 01:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FinsNCanes
The paint sucks ;p.
+1 on the paint sucking, but thats for the years
also
trying to drive slow is another problem
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump cause im thinking about buying an evo mainly because of performance and looks.

Thing is , ive read that evos have lots of oil leak problems and little things like rain or something inside the car is bugging someone.

I plan on keeping my evo stock if i even get one, ppl complain about brake dust and paint and stuff to keep the car clean , thats no problem cause it happens on the sti.

I already have a well modified wrx and i want something with a higher platform so i dont need to mod my car, also since the wrx is my daily and the evo will be , i need something reliable. my car is reliable now , but down the road , who knows
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kcook
...Thing is , ive read that evos have lots of oil leak problems and little things like rain or something inside the car is bugging someone...
Haven't heard of any of those problems before. The most I've heard that upsets some is the P0300 code (random misfire) which comes typically cause of the input shaft from the tranny causes vibrations which would trigger the error code...doesn't affect performance though. And then the throwout bearing making a small noise in idle when the clutch is depressed, especially when the A/C is on...other than those minor issues, smaller stuff such as brakes and c/f wing peeling the clearcoat is some others that I've heard about. Every car is different, and any manufacturer is going to have something that urks you though, not just Evos.

I have an 03' Evo 8 myself and love it! Besides the fact that Tarmac Black is a pain to keep clean and maintain, it's looks mean. Purchased it with 10K miles and it now has 20K miles and running like a champ!

Good luck with your research and journey towards your Evo.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Girls 04 RS is Perfect in every way.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

It depends on how it was used. Is it modified at all? Has it been tracked? Most EVO owners thrash their cars, so buyer beware.

I have had plenty of engine and gearbox problems with my '04 RS, but it is heavily modified and run on the racetrack as often as almost any other EVO in the USA.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so far my sunroof went out. I am gonna fix it soon.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 09:17 AM

Good luck not modifying it!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Clutch clutch clutch. If you dont launch the car and know how to drive a clutch decently (which it sounds like you do), Then you'll be fine. If you start launching the car, you'll be looking for an ACT/Exedy clutch pretty quick.