Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ralliart ACD ECU

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Macky
Think about it, we are discussing street versions of the Ralliart ECU. WRC and rally cars use a different/hacked ECU, so saying that they are not equipped with S-AYC is irrelevant. your argument that they dont use S-AYC is not applicable here, because race teams do not use street-spec ECUs.

The JDM RS gets AYC as an option by the way, and the GT uses an ECU similar to the US Evo. as far as trying to lecture me on when the AYC came out, dont be silly - the AYC came out in the Evo IV, not the V.

and for the record, during the first outing of the Evo VIII in the Super Taikyu series it DID use S-AYC.

hey egomaniac.. i'm not trying to get into an evo knowledge pissing match with you.. and you are probably right about the IV having ayc and it being an option on the RS, but of all the RS and GT models that are shipped to my country that my friends and I have owned (III, IV, V, VI, VII & VIII's) no RS or GT model has ever had ayc.

more importantly my point that they can ship without ayc/s-ayc is relevant because that would readily indicate that the ecu controlling acd is not necessarily tied to ayc, since an upgraded acd ecu is available from ralliart for the GT, RS (ayc or not)

on the flip-side you are incorrectly assuming because ayc is not present on US models means the upgraded acd ecu will not work. the fact remains that it will not work because of the us vs jdm ecu differences, not the presence or absence of ayc.

and my reference to rally (not just wrc) and the general trend of not using ayc & abs was just to solidfy my point that most RS' are purchased without these options for racing.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I have the pinout of the european ACD computer somewhere. If someone could post the pinout of the USA ACD computer, maybe we could redo some wiring and get this thing to work!

-Max
Old Feb 10, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nitz
hey egomaniac.. i'm not trying to get into an evo knowledge pissing match with you.. and you are probably right about the IV having ayc and it being an option on the RS, but of all the RS and GT models that are shipped to my country that my friends and I have owned (III, IV, V, VI, VII & VIII's) no RS or GT model has ever had ayc.

more importantly my point that they can ship without ayc/s-ayc is relevant because that would readily indicate that the ecu controlling acd is not necessarily tied to ayc, since an upgraded acd ecu is available from ralliart for the GT, RS (ayc or not)

on the flip-side you are incorrectly assuming because ayc is not present on US models means the upgraded acd ecu will not work. the fact remains that it will not work because of the us vs jdm ecu differences, not the presence or absence of ayc.

and my reference to rally (not just wrc) and the general trend of not using ayc & abs was just to solidfy my point that most RS' are purchased without these options for racing.

you did not specify that you were "in another country", so in that case, what applies to the US market does not apply to whatever market you are in. ACD is inherently tied/acts as as the AYC controller as well, so my argument was if the car does not come with S-AYC (i.e. US cars), then if you stuff an ECU upgrade that has AYC control input/output connectors, it might not work.

here is a compiled FAQ about the ACD. read on reply #3:

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=17977.0

C. Upgrading the ACD

While it is possible to upgrade the ACD ECU for the Evo VII/VIII/IX in other markets, at the time of this writing, there are NO ECU UPGRADES available for the USDM version of the VIII or IX. Reason being is that the ACD unit found in other markets also doubles as the AYC control unit. Since we do not have the AYC in our version, the aftermarket units would probably freak-out and not work. I have found no evidence of someone trying to equip a USDM Evo with an aftermarket ECU however. (14) (15)
it is a gray area, it may be possible to upgrade the US ECU, it may not. but noone is apparently willing to spend the money to find out.

nobody is trying to get in a pissing match with you. I simply replied in the same tone as your reply to me.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Macky
you did not specify that you were "in another country", so in that case, what applies to the US market does not apply to whatever market you are in. ACD is inherently tied/acts as as the AYC controller as well, so my argument was if the car does not come with S-AYC (i.e. US cars), then if you stuff an ECU upgrade that has AYC control input/output connectors, it might not work.

here is a compiled FAQ about the ACD. read on reply #3:

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=17977.0

it is a gray area, it may be possible to upgrade the US ECU, it may not. but noone is apparently willing to spend the money to find out.

nobody is trying to get in a pissing match with you. I simply replied in the same tone as your reply to me.

hmm..funny how you're able to determine my tone.
i am in the US now, but grew up in the caribbean.

anyway, just as i thought the ralliart upgraded ACD ecu's are independent of AYC as they do not normally use AYC in rally. as a matter of fact in the ralliart catalogue it states quite plainly that if you plug it into an AYC equipped car an error will occur. there is even a reference to this at:
http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...gmt&prodid=137
"For rally use on all models with ACD (Active Center Differential). Cannot be used with AYC."
this has been further confirmed to me by ralliart australia in an email reply to my questions about this.

in addition, the ralliart ecu's are purchased and used in wrc group n rally as is, not some hacked version of it as you suggested. they use it because the restrictions are stringent on what mods can be done to the cars.

so that pretty much narrows it down to a difference between us and jdm acd ecu pinouts, and who knows maybe sensors as well. i wonder where we could get pinout diagrams from both.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Im actually on the lookout for one from my contact in australia. ill let you know when I get one.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems that doesn't work with US models:
http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...ALLIART+ACD+US

It seems that doesn't work with S-AYC models:
http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...hlight=ACD+ECU