Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another break-in story....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shimla
su37su, just throw rocks at their cars too at night
Naa ill just release my pitbull in thier house at night, that'll teach them a leason.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

if you have an aftermarket head unit...you ALWAYS take your faceplate with you. don't "hide" it in your car. the first thing they do is look for that. at least if you had that faceplate with you, you have the satisfaction of knowing that a-hole isn't going to make any money off the stereo.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
being a Vet, I would say not to do it. That's part of the reason why a lot of cities are trying to ban pitbulls. Some of the nicest dogs I've dealt with were pitbulls. I know you're just kidding but i wasn't when I told you just throw rocks too

Originally Posted by su37su
Naa ill just release my pitbull in thier house at night, that'll teach them a leason.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Ah yes, the "a-hole satisfaction" factor... Like how the guy that broke into my car cut the **** out of his arms, stomach, and legs (okay, scratched, but it probably hurt like a ***** still) as he "gracefully" leapt out of the car and 2 miles away where the police would never even look...

Anyway, you're welcome, but I've been so stressed that I've been researching like crazy on car burglaries and what-not for the past two days. What I found was quite frightening, I live in Salt Lake City, Utah... Mormon capital of the world (as most of you probably know, what with the Brokeback Mountain deal thing and all that right now) anyway, blah blah blah, point is that means over 50% of the population are people who are opposed to drinking coffee, let alone breaking into cars... So, naturally, I've been assuming that it's nothing like LA or New Jersey or New York here, i don't need to be worried unless I'm down a dark alley. Well, I looked into some old police reports, both at the University (just University police reports) and the City itself...

Turns out for every month I looked at (mostly winter months), car burglaries were pretty much the number 1 crime... The issue in all of them: A crook saw something that looked of value, NONE of the reports said anything like "A car was broken into and a stereo unit was stolen from the trunk" Unless something of value was seen in the car to lead the person to look around for more stuff (i.e. what llxzxll said about looking for the faceplate) If the faceplate isn't visible, they will usually see it as invaluble to them since they assume you have taken it with you or locked it somewhere safe in the car. Like llxzll said, it isn't worth ANYTHING to them without the faceplate, even if it's a 500,000 dollar headunit, it doesn't work without the faceplate (and a 500,000 dollar headunit's replacement faceplate would probably cost a small fortune too...) If, however, there is a purse or other item of percieved "value" in the car and they think they have time (which they usually will) they will search for other items: in your glove box, your little arm rest box, under the seats, the ash tray and probably the trunk. It is rare for them to find hidden compartments (like the one under our wheels, or the upper part of an S2000's "glovebox") and rare for them to pop the hood, nothing under there is worth much value compared to the effort of getting it out.

Again, sorry for another long post, but since this was such a crappy event, I'd like to give you all as much information as possible to prevent it from happening to too many more people (I realize somethings are forgotten, like a bag in the backseat or a first aid kit that looks like a laptop bag... and its not always easy to have a constantly empty interior, afterall we all use our cars for storage at one point or another, I almost always have tons of paper in it from school, garbage, gum, a few tools, etc etc... the point is, keep it the least "valuable" as possible, only a rare completly insane person will break into a car for a pack of gum, a pad of paper, and some chapstick.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:13 AM

sry 2 hear