Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another break-in story....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Another break-in story....

Hey guys,

My EVO was broken into late last night. I came out to my car this afternoon and the rear passenger side was broken, not the big peice but the smaller peice. They stole my Kenwood stereo and a POS radar detector. However, the a-hole completely ripped out my console where the CD player was. I dont care as much as the stuff being stolen as I do about knowing somebody invaded my privacy. This incident has made me realize how vulnerable I was. From now on Im going to carry my faceplate with me and invest in a NICE alarm. I hope everyone can learn from my misfortune.

~fred
Old Jan 12, 2006, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

I too need an alarm.... as well as a garage to park in. Stupid apartments!
Old Jan 12, 2006, 04:50 PM

Thats F*cked UP!!! Sorry you went through that...
Old Jan 12, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

grrrr makes me mad i keep a redneck with a glock next to mine and hes cheap a 6 pack a night
joking

tough luck bro
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:08 PM

that sucks dude,

the apt. i live at in college had 16 break ins when i moved in (in just one weekend). then they had more. overall over 60+ cars broke into

just for cd players

they broke into my old car, and stole my beat up cd player, but left my afc and gauges... the ins. (cause i have theft coverage cause of the neighborhood) covered all of it and more and i bought a cf hood, new cd player, and misc other things.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

That sucks man, sorry to hear. I was just thinking to myself, man if I were to catch them in the act, ooooh boy, look out. Browning just might say, boom. You should just leave a twen spot in the windshield wipers, that is all they want $$$. Good people will leave it alone, bad people will take it. J/K, drugs suck. Peace.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear that man.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Wow....
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSGuy
Hey guys,

My EVO was broken into late last night. I came out to my car this afternoon and the rear passenger side was broken, not the big peice but the smaller peice. They stole my Kenwood stereo and a POS radar detector. However, the a-hole completely ripped out my console where the CD player was. I dont care as much as the stuff being stolen as I do about knowing somebody invaded my privacy. This incident has made me realize how vulnerable I was. From now on Im going to carry my faceplate with me and invest in a NICE alarm. I hope everyone can learn from my misfortune.

~fred
Mine was broken into Tuesday night, almost same story... except nothing was stolen, the dumbass was doing it at a mall in the afternoon... I walked out and saw him doing it, called the cops, he ran and they (of course) don't give a **** so they didn't ever find him by the time they got their. Anyway, nothing got stolen but a lot got broken/scratched in the process, thank god for insurance. Now if only they could get it fixed faster... Anyway, the two tips the cop gave me were obvious things, but we all forget sometimes:
A) ALWAYS remove your faceplate and make sure NOTHING else is visible in the car that could be of ANY value (including things that LOOK like purses or backpacks, my uncle's firstaid kit got stolen out of his car, worth like 2 bucks, but looks just like a laptop bag)
B) Don't put ANY stickers on your car except for alarm system ones (now I realize that there are some obvious ones that SHOULD be okay, but still... e.g. Evolutionm.net stickers) Stickers may advertise what you have in your car, on your car, or just that your car is hot (aka Evolutionm.net stickers) but remember, they're also advertisements to criminals that "This car has money in it somewhere!!!"
C) Nice alarms are great, for 3-5 hundred you can get really nice ones, even the ones with pagers, but having an alarm does absolutly nothing to prevent theft, an alarm will not stop the window from breaking and usually doesn't draw a whole lot of attention. The things that work the best now are pagers, then you book it out to your car and usually catch them in the act, they can still get away with things and have still probably scratched and damaged other things. In my situation a cheap but noisy alarm would've prevented any of the internal damage because it was in such a public place, the window would've still needed to be shattered to trigger the alarm. Most GOOD alarms are either too sensitive, or will go off only after the car has been broken into (you know all about the too sensitive ones, the cars that go off when you talk loudly around them... they turn off after a second, the sensitivity is a first step in preventing the break-in and may indeed be the thing to save your car) In my own personal opinion and the opinion of a large number of people at a stereo shop (that also specializes in alarms) is that the sticker or other visual representation of the alarm does most of the break-in prevention.

Remember: most theifs breaking into your car don't know jack**** about anything, that's why they're breaking into your car, they want what LOOKS valuble and even a 20 dollar stereo that has shiney buttons looks nice to them. They don't know that ripping of the gauge cluster will fetch them over a hundred dollars on ebay for a few Defi gauges or anything like that. But anything that could be percieved of value CAN be a reason for someone to break-in and our cars are tuner cars which means they're assumed to have something of value in them.

Sorry for the long post, and the advice on the alarms may be inaccurate to a point, as I really don't know about ALL of the alarm systems out there, just the pager ones and the really really loud/sensitive ones.

Anyway, on the personal note, I totally feel your pain (obviously) and try walking out and SEEING the guy doing it (insert posts here about kicking the guy's *** etc, which any intelligent person would know is stupid, the guy could very well be armed) watching him run off, and then having to sit as he ran off waiting for the police to arrive, which took about 20 minutes. The realization of vulnerablity is the worst part ever, I don't know about you, but I'm paranoid parking it outside anywhere now, even a parking lot with a constant police patrol and cameras, and especially back at that mall which I need to go to quite often.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

thats sucks man, the same thing happend to me a couple of times but not an evo(I dont have one yet), any ways the aparmtent that I lived in had an underground parking lot with gates but some how the theifs found out how to open the gates and in just one night they broke in to almost 5 cars and stole everything inide the cars(mines being one of them), then about 3 months later same thing happened and this time the theifstook broke into my moms car, and about 2 monts later we parked that same car out side(the car was parked in front of our balkeny), my causin was on the balkeny(spelling) ans saw someone get in the car and she thought it was one of us by the time she relized it wasn't it was to late for us to chase him down and hopfully brake a couple of his bones.

but one of our neibhors cought someone breaking into a car in daylight and held him with a bb gun untill the cops arrived, when the cops arrived they just let him go(don't know why but I think they didn't have enough on him).

but now We moved to an house and now some ediots are throwing rocks at our cars or anyone we know. They broke my moms van window, and threw a rock at my friends car and put a dent on the front passanger door.

We think we know who it is (We think its our front neighbors) but I want to get all the facts before taking any actions.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope this dosent happen to anyone else..... they should get a job...
Old Jan 12, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the comments guys. UT EVO, awesome post. Thanks a lot!

~fred
Old Jan 12, 2006, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
su37su, just throw rocks at their cars too at night
Old Jan 12, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

i dont mean to hijack ur thread or anything but i feel ur pain some ****ers broke into my jeep and stole my 2000 dollar system but left my deck lol cuz my deck has a motorized face plate that when the cars off it looks like its gone and when its on its a din and 1/2 face plate that flips up the reasoon i said i dont mean to hijack this is im gonna sell it now cuz i have no need for it without the system its an alpine cda 7897 its only like 2 years old and in PERFECT condition im asking 400 cuz it has crazy features (phone hook up/ mp3 ready/ cd changer hook up/ motorized facepate/ and can has soo many more features ive had it a year and i dont even kno how to use everything) let me know its really nice, i just have no use for it any more lol and u know its not gonna get stolen! lol
Old Jan 12, 2006, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

The first place I drove in my EVO when I bought it was directly to the alarm shop. About 3 hours later I had a 2-way pager Clifford alarm installed on the car.