Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Im scared to mod now

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why didn't you just got home before there were 8" on the ground?
Old Jan 13, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I divide mods into two categories:

1)Those that reduce losses - stuff like lighter wheels, lighter brake rotors, free-flowing i/c pipes, ported mainfolds, exhausts, etc.

2)Those that increase power - are things like turbo kits, MBC (depends on setting), cams (some), stroker kits etc.

If you're worried about breaking you car, I'd go for (1). You won't gain much, but you'll be safe. If you don't try to get silly hp without professionals I think the evo engine is pretty tough. I'm not saying you're incompetent, but making 400+hp out of a 2.0L engine really should be left to professionals.

Now there are things that are somewhat in-between items like clutches, brake kits, coil-overs, but I think your main concern is the engine. I've left out tuning/piggyback/EMS and such on purpose. I think the general concensus is that they're safe but then again, it _is_ possible to wreck your engine messing around with ECU's if you don't know what you're doing and as to how much it will stress your engine depends on the tune.

In any case, at a risk of reopeating others on the thread, I don't think anyone on here can say that they don't need a driver mod. My racing years and learing to do it are behind me, but really what I have leant are worth more than any other mod I have on my car. I'm not trying to come across as some kind of driving guru, I'm far from it. But however much money you spend on making yourself a better driver it will be worth it. For many many years, regardless of what you drive.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

get the right kind of mods and tuning, you should be all set.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm confused. He asked for the SAFEST MOD FOR THE LONGEVITY OF HIS EVO. I don't know how a flash or a TBE can be considered safe or able to increase the longevity of his Evo, but I'm quite certain my response hits both of those requirements and is the most important by far.

DRIVER MOD will teach him how to handle his car at its current power level instead of giving him another 30-50whp with which to wrap it around another guard rail...

Last edited by Greg K; Jan 13, 2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

guys, please try to be nice and get along; we don't need all our members to act like a certain pair of vendors. I did my best to clean this up and remove all the OT and useless crap.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Greg, I'm amazed that the last few of mine were deleted when I gave no insults and provided some of the most useful feedback of the entire thread, yet there are a bunch of one-word replies like "lol" and "holla!" etc. Why would you delete mine when they were thoughtful answers with no flaming?
Old Jan 13, 2006, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

I would have to agree with Warrtalon, do some autox and track days. Everytime I drive my car at the limit it really reduces my desire to mod it. I become quite content with the car as is, and less so with my driving abilities.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Warr, no offence intended, I restored one, but I initially deleted it because it had a quote from a previous poster that was deleted due to a flame. I normally do that to remove all traces of the flame. I cut the quote out of yours and put it back. The lols are gone now too.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

DAMN. Bunch of flamers in here..

OK, I would have given you $7500 for the lightning.

Next, With a lightning you are used to some noise. So the next step on your evo would be an exhaust (3" turbo back with a test pipe and a CEL eliminator or a stacked set of anti foulers). This is also dealer friendly. They will still keep your warranty with an exhaust. Next would be either a boost controller or a ECU flash. This is a good time to decide where you want to be in the long run. If you lived local to me I would give you a ride in my car and give you a parts/upgrade list. I would have skipped a couple mods and done others if I did it all over again.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

I still recommend staying stock. Few people realize just how capable the evo really can be it stock form. Sure it may not seem have the straight line kick in the pants it once felt like it did, but for 95% of the people out there this car is way more car than they can handle when driven hard.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Cajun Power, I think it's very poor advice to recommend a TBE w/test pipe then say that it's dealer friendly. They do not allow you to touch the cat or anything forward of the cat, ESPECIALLY not removing the cat altogether. That would get you in trouble at 90% of Mitsu dealers...
Old Jan 13, 2006, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Warrtlon when I started posting on here I thought you were the biggest A$$hole now I have come to realize you are just a huge smart A$$. Which now i find very humerous
Old Jan 13, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I'm confused. He asked for the SAFEST MOD FOR THE LONGEVITY OF HIS EVO. I don't know how a flash or a TBE can be considered safe or able to increase the longevity of his Evo, but I'm quite certain my response hits both of those requirements and is the most important by far.

DRIVER MOD will teach him how to handle his car at its current power level instead of giving him another 30-50whp with which to wrap it around another guard rail...
+50 on the driver mod.

I really cannot understand why people insist on pushing their car to its limits (and themselves right over the limit) on public roads, when tracks are readily available, including instructors.

Quite frankly the safest mod for all of us is for the Big Shooter to stay off the road.

l8r)
Old Jan 13, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Greg, I'm amazed that the last few of mine were deleted when I gave no insults and provided some of the most useful feedback of the entire thread, yet there are a bunch of one-word replies like "lol" and "holla!" etc. Why would you delete mine when they were thoughtful answers with no flaming?
_mine_ got deleted. I really don't know why... well this one will prolly get del'ed too.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Ditto, suprised some of mine were also deleted. I'm not going to make a big deal out of it, just mostly suprised that people are so easily offended with harsh truth.

EDIT: It has been claried to me in a PM why my post was deleted. Deleted things that I said critizing the Moderator, he is just doing his job.

Last edited by muzak; Jan 13, 2006 at 10:01 AM.