Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Where to next?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to next?

I suppose this could be considered a first real post on this board. Basically, I'm looking to find some opinions on where to go from where I am with the car right now. All I have are some basic mods and I definitely don't need a street monster. Over here in cali I'm already pushing it driving a car with a modified exhaust. I was planning on running an safc2 on race gas if and when I get to the track and the reflash is coming real soon.

Oh and BTW, I'm Ryan.
Sheesh--I hate these internet "breaking the ice" things.

--Ryan
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:52 PM

hey ryan,

welcome aboard. check out warrtalon for some good advice, he has the same car as you. with a flash your car will be a beast, and will remain reliable for daily use. good luck!
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're in good shape. Use the flash for pump gas daily driving, then if you want to, get the SAFC for race gas tuning at the track. You will want a stronger BOV than the stock plastic one when running 24psi on race gas, so get a JDM MR DV or the Forge RS DV, both of which I have used and recommend. Another good mod that is not noticable, not expensive, yet provides good gains is an LICP. Cams would normally be the next obvious mod, but that may be more than you were thinking of doing...
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

the ice has already been broken with everyone from cali. heres a few tips:

S E A R C H
R E F L A S H
V I S H N U

check into either of those or a combination thereof.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:13 PM

Yup. Thanks for the advice guys. For some reason I haven't been to partial to Vishnu, at least as far as parts went. Although I'm sure they can work wonders if you have deep enough pockets. I'll look into it more.

Warrtalon--Cams were exactly what I was thinking. My question is that since I have to make my way to a shop to get them installed anyway, would the custom dyno time be worth the money after I payed for the reflash?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can coordinate the custom flash with dyno time on an AWD load-bearing dyno then sure. You would have to do a lot of coordinating, though, with whoever you choose as your flash tuner. Regardless of cams, a custom tune (dyno or road) is worth the money anyway...
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

im not partial to vishnu either, i just dont keep up with the west coast tuners and it was the first one that popped in my head. just keep looking around for a trustworthy tuner which is more valuable than the parts themselves.

edit: glad to see other east coast guys up at this hour!
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:50 PM

Damn...
I just realized all you guys were on the east coast. It's freaking midnight here! What is it over there, three a.m?
Yea, and on the whole tuning thing. I've definitely been looking or a good tuner over here and it looks like theres a couple, but for right now the flash will do. At least until I have more cash to blow.

I just dug up warr's review on the forge and I think I'll pick one up soon. I just hope the "whoosh" isn't THAT audible. The cops around here aren't too happy about imports as it is, especially when you drive by and whoosh in their faces. Thanks a lot guys.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

with the drop in it will be louder than stock, just not as noticeable as with a cone.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:09 AM

Old Jan 13, 2006, 01:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pandasign
I suppose this could be considered a first real post on this board. Basically, I'm looking to find some opinions on where to go from where I am with the car right now. All I have are some basic mods and I definitely don't need a street monster. Over here in cali I'm already pushing it driving a car with a modified exhaust. I was planning on running an safc2 on race gas if and when I get to the track and the reflash is coming real soon.

Oh and BTW, I'm Ryan.
Sheesh--I hate these internet "breaking the ice" things.

--Ryan
a set of cams
and then your reflash