Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying an 06 Evo - former 03 owner - help.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lil'evil_evo
+1 you should buy a BMW
I reallly tried to swing an e46 M3, but didn't wanna spend 35-40k (those were the cheapest) on something with 50,000+ miles. To get the mileage under 30,000, price goes up north of $40k; ouch, and still used. My friend has an 05 Comp package/SMG/Nav.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Mazda speed 6
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
Mazda speed 6
LoL. Actually I was tracking this car for early 05 (next purchase after my 03 Evo), and thought it sounded pretty good. AWD, leather, nav, 274hp, all under $30k. Then seen how slow it put the power down, and I went elsewhere. Never even seen one in person though.
For instance, the 2 298hp G35's I drove were soooo slow even compared with the 350z's. Guess it's just gearing.

Anyways, back on topic.
What about an 05 (with SSL) vs an 06 IX? Sounds like I'd miss out on some important engine upgrades (MIVEC, turbo housing) as well as the front end changes?
Curious, as I found an 05 on a lot, still new (wish it was Graphite Gray though)....
Old Jan 13, 2006, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Biggest cons of my 03:
Interior sucked
Turbo lag (got P2 flash which helped, but was still evident)
Ride was harsh
Stereo was terrible
Exhaust was droney (after I put on 2.5" UR turboback)

If I did get an 06, I'd mod it immediately. I'd go piggy-back, cams, exhaust and supporting mods (ala injectors, headstuds) as well if that matters. I've got subs and stuff sitting at home to slap in if needs be.
Looks like your choice will depend on what you value more: interior vs. ride quality.

If you want the better interior, then you'd probably want the SSL package, which I don't think you can get on the MR. If you want the smoother ride, then get the MR. Turbo lag should be better in the '06, stereo should be "ok" in the SSL, not sure on the MR. Most aftermarket exhausts will drone, but with the '06, you may not want to go with one right away. They make some good power just with a tune.

l8r)
Old Jan 13, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nez136
To me it doesn't even sound like the Evo is the right car for you...
Even though I personally prefer the evo, you might be happier with an STi. Better ride and interior. Less lag due to bigger displacement.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
diablo2184 - Are you for real?? The stock HID's are ok, but they can't compare to a 6k-8k set up. And yes I've had them all and the kit I had was still going strong at 2 years when I sold the car. Sorry, I have to disagree with you that stock HID's are better than any aftermarket set.

Last edited by Most-Wanted; Jan 13, 2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
diablo2184 - Are you for real?? The stock HID's are ok, but they can't compare to a 6k-8k set up. And yes I've had them all and the kit I had was still going strong at 2 years when I sold the car. Sorry, I have to disagree with you that stock HID's are better than any aftermarket set.
The fact that you think 6K-8000 kelvin is "better" is the main problem. 4300K is the closest to sunlight and offers the most lumens. 8000K is mainly to impress onlookers and isn't a color offered by the main suppliers of OEM HIDs. I went even get into the quality. But I also believe those little 300 kits won't come close to the quality of Mitsu's OEM setup either (or any OEM)
Old Jan 13, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you GPTourer...at least someone else researched or knows the facts about HIDs.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

I don't care about the facts. You can post them, print them whatever. I had the oem hid's in my 03 and I have had the 8k in another car. The driving light to me is much easier to see with the aftermarket kit I had. I could care less what color it is or how it looks to others. I tell you what, you keep your stock oem's and I'll replace mine with the aftermarket kit But don't for a minute try to jump on me like I'm some 16yo kid who likes the blue light.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

I don't care about the facts. You can post them, print them whatever. I had the oem hid's in my 03 and I have had the 8k in another car. The driving light to me is much easier to see with the aftermarket kit I had. I could care less what color it is or how it looks to others. I tell you what, you keep your stock oem's and I'll replace mine with the aftermarket kit But don't for a minute try to jump on me like I'm some 16yo kid who likes the blue light.
FWIW, the my 03 Evo with the fog lights on created the most light of any vehicle I've owned.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't care about the facts.
I think that about sums it up.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Doing some reading on aftermarket tuning of the 06's. Primarily on Vishnu's site. From what I'm reading, it seems like the 06 has a LOT of power to unleash! Quoted from Shiv for example:

"....a bone stock EVO 9 belonging to Sammy from San Jose. Say that 10 times quickly. Completely untouched, it put down a solid 232-236whp. Dead nuts in-line with the other stock IXs we've tested. After a custom tuned reflash, it put down 275whp. This is on 91oct with peak boost of 22psi, tapering to 17psi by 7500rpm..."

Thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=173126

All that's on 91 pisswater too, I'm in the land of 93!

Another quote from Vishnu compares the 06 to the 03's:
"06 with vishnu flash is similar to 03 with tuning, exhaust, and cams. (on pump)"

Another quote from Shiv:
"We saw a 15-20whp difference between the IX and the 05 VIIIs, fwiw."

Last edited by boomn29; Jan 14, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Your complaints were stereo, interior and ride. Well hmm... sounds like you want a Lexus. Thats like moving to NYC and complaining about noise and price, like it wasnt expected? Comeon man, nah Im just kiddin around. The 2006s are beautiful cars and Im sure youd enjoy it, take one for a drive and see if you like it! The MR's ride with the better shocks should help out with that complaint and the 315watt system blow away the stock one you had in your 2003. Interior... well the seats are better?
Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

GPTourer obviously doesn't get out much. Believe what you want My aftermarket kit was far better than my stock 03 hids. That is just my opinion. If you didn't like it, too bad. Keep your rude stupid comments to yourself. You contributed nothing to this post but trying to bash me. What I meant about the facts is this. You can show me the numbers, lumens,etc whatever. But through experience some are better than others. Even though they aren't hids or car bulbs. I have changed hundreds of bulbs in my aircraft and some of the bulbs I thought would be better were not. Now, explain to everyone here what aftermarket kit you owned personally and how they did not compare to the stock set.

Last edited by Most-Wanted; Jan 14, 2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

GPTourer obviously doesn't get out much. Believe what you want My aftermarket kit was far better than my stock 03 hids. That is just my opinion. If you didn't like it, too bad. Keep your rude stupid comments to yourself. You contributed nothing to this post but trying to bash me. What I meant about the facts is this. You can show me the numbers, lumens,etc whatever. That doesn't neccesarly mean it is always better. Even though they aren't hids or car bulbs. I have changed hundreds of bulbs in my aircraft and some of the bulbs I thought would be better were not. I have used hundreds of bulbs and some let you see better than others. Now, explain to everyone here what aftermarket kit you owned personally and how they did not compare to the stock set.
Give it up dude. Can we plz get this thread back on topic......

Quick Reply: Buying an 06 Evo - former 03 owner - help.