Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying an 06 Evo - former 03 owner - help.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2006, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My point about the hids are if you have to have them you can buy a set from hidplace. They have great deals on them. I wouldn't base my MR purchase just for the oem HID's If you are planning on modding the suspension and wheels, I wouldn't buy the MR.

3000K - $295
5300K - $305
6000K - $325
8000K - $345
10000K - $365

Last edited by Most-Wanted; Jan 14, 2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Former Evo owner thinking about coming back....help. I previously had an 03 Evo I bought waaay back in like May I think, Silver.

Anyways, thinking about getting an 06 off the same dealer. Wanted to hear pros/cons on the MR vs normal IX considering I've previously owned an 03. There's also some 05's around on lots that are brand new that I'd consider. I like the 06 frontend changes though.

Biggest cons of my 03:
Interior sucked
Turbo lag (got P2 flash which helped, but was still evident)
Ride was harsh
Stereo was terrible
Exhaust was droney (after I put on 2.5" UR turboback)

If I did get an 06, I'd mod it immediately. I'd go piggy-back, cams, exhaust and supporting mods (ala injectors, headstuds) as well if that matters. I've got subs and stuff sitting at home to slap in if needs be.
To try and get this thread back on topic, I'll try to update you on the IX and why I think it may be the car you are looking for. This is all just my own opinion and all information has been gathered from the countless numbers of hours of reading on this forum and a couple of test drives.

Interior- You will find that the interior of the IX is an improvement over the VIII. Pictures don't even do it justice, when I finally got to sit in the IX I noticed the interior was more attractive in my opinion right away. Still the interior is not Lexus or BMW quality, but you already know this, but it has improved.

Engine Characteristics- The addition of Mivec gives the IX better low end power, it's still doesn't have the low end power of the bigger diplacement STI in my opinion, but once again it's an improvement over previous EVOs. So basically the characteristics that favored the EVO over the STi and/or STI still remain in the IX, but the disadvantages of the EVO compared to the STi/STI have been improved upon in the IX.

Harsh Ride- Matter of an opinion I guess, I've never felt that the EVO was extremely harsh, my modified 3000GT VR4 seemed to me to have a bumpier ride than any EVO I've had the pleasure to be in. So I guess that's up to one's opinion of what they consider to be harsh. From what I've read from members on this forum, it seems like there isn't much of change in the ride. Hey take it or leave it, people want the EVO to keep it's edge on the corners and curves, and then want it to ride like a E55 AMG. Choose one people, sure both can be done, but I guarrantee the EVO would cost a hell of a lot more than $28,000 to $36,000 and won't weigh 3150-3300Lbs (which is pretty damn light for an AWD car in today's car world).

Stereo- Again a matter of opinion, doesn't sound so bad to me, and you can always fix that with the many, and many aftermarket systems available for pretty good prices. I find the STI stereo to be no better, but I know the stock system on the Mustang GT is pretty impressive.

Droney Exhaust- Another opinion based negative and infact was an aftermarket product that caused this claim, not Mitsubishi. Who cares! No car is perfect. Plus the gains you get from a TBE completely outweighs any noise. Either way, there are multiple exhaust systems to choose from, that will best suit your needs.

Modifications- As of now, the IX has been quite impressive with it's response to aftermarket power modifications. Is the IX making more power stock, is up to debate. Some would argue yes indeed it is making more power stock, while others say, no or only very minimal differences bettween the IX and 05 VIII. But pretty much all are in agreement that the IX indeed makes more power with bolt-on products. Vishnu which you qouted in another post, has been making very good gains with the IX, and with his Flash and TBE, IXs have seen power from 275WHP to 295WHP. Pretty impressive, but there are many others from DynoFlash, to Precision Dyno, to Buschur making such impressive gains. With a TBE, MBC @22PSI, and Flash the IX has the potential of around 330WHP-340WHP+ and low to mid 12s@110MPH+. With that said, there are enough substantial differences between the IX and VIII that not all products that fit on the VIII will fit on the IX. So the modifying process of the IX has been slower. Many IXs are still on the simplest bolt-ons not because of a lack of interest in modifying, but a lack of available products, for example both Exhaust and Intake Cams are not available yet for the IX, but soon will be.

2005 VIII MR vs. 2006 IX GSR-
Both awesome cars, and I would suggest a 2006 IX MR, but I believe both these cars interest you because they fit in your price range. If you love the 6-Speed, then the MR should be your choice, but the IX GSR is an awesome buy, and there are many VIII owners that are willing to trade in for IX. So it's up to you, and the VIII MR is also responds very well to bolt ons mods, like any EVO and that is something a STI or even Mustang GT can't compare to.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ Thx 3000ways.

The more research I do on the IX, the more it sounds like the one. Still not sure if I can justify the MR, hafta see what kind of deal I can swing. Just becuase it's a 6sp doesn't impress me $$ worth! lol. About that 6sp, how proven is it anyways??? I mean the 5sp gearbox is pretty rock-solid for Mitsu, and I loved the precise gears in it. Best sure-footed shifting I've ever had.

As for the harsh ride, my STi had it too. The roads I live around kinda blow. Now, on the interstates, both were soooo smooth, and very stable up towards the mph limits (no flaming plz). It's just something to keep in mind, and something I can live with. I just don't foresee a full coilover setup, that's just me.

Btw, in your last sentence you compare simple bolt on's of the STi. I don't wanna get into a big deal, but don't disclaim the STi. You can gain 100hp with just full exhaust and a tuned Utec (I did, dyno proven). A lot of that is raising psi from 14.5 stock to near 18 safely, and removing a total of 3 cat-con's. Of course, beyond that, STi owners really hafta start thinking turbo upgrade, and that's $2500 at the cheapest w/o tuning. That's the decision I was facing before the accident. I think that's a lot more bolt-on's you can put on the Evo to squeeze out hp here and there; but just an opinion.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
diablo2184 - Are you for real?? The stock HID's are ok, but they can't compare to a 6k-8k set up. And yes I've had them all and the kit I had was still going strong at 2 years when I sold the car. Sorry, I have to disagree with you that stock HID's are better than any aftermarket set.
God you are so wrong, when you get into the 6k-8k hids, THEY DO NOT IMPROVE THE LIGHTING, THEY DEGRADE IT, not only will the cause glare, it's reaching distance is much shorter than with an OEM 4.3k hid, OEMs are the best, the use the best bulbs
Old Jan 15, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

I went thru the same proccess when deciding between a IX gsr and a IX mr. I ended up choosing the mr for a couple of reasons.

HID's - they are OEM quality, leveling adjustment from in cabin and don't have to hack up wiring on a new car.
gauges - sure I could get aftermarket, but these fit all my needs. Plus when you do the radio relocation (which is free and takes about 20 minutes) they are much better.
Wheels - I love the BBS wheels. Plus the fact that they are forged makes it even better.
Appearence - I like the look of the vortex generator and the lip thing on the spoiler.

Price - my dealer was much more willing to deal on the mr as opposed to the gsr.

I don't know that any of this helps, but thought I would share.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The bottom line is money. IF you are financing, the MR is probably $100-$150 more a month then a base GSR. You just gotta do some soul searching and figure out what's best for you.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

He is way off on the numbers. The MR is only 80.15 more a month. That is based on the extra 4k at 7.5% which you should be able to get and that is for 5 years. 6years is 69.16 and 7 years is 61.35
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
He is way off on the numbers. The MR is only 80.15 more a month. That is based on the extra 4k at 7.5% which you should be able to get and that is for 5 years. 6years is 69.16 and 7 years is 61.35
Maybe he was doing it for a 3 year loan?
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Actually its 4900 difference. And some poeple do shorter terms then 60 months. Nice try. But okay, around $100. Feel better?

You're not going to get the same interest rate at 7 years as you can at 5.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jan 15, 2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Former Evo owner thinking about coming back....help. I previously had an 03 Evo I bought waaay back in like May I think, Silver.

Anyways, thinking about getting an 06 off the same dealer. Wanted to hear pros/cons on the MR vs normal IX considering I've previously owned an 03. There's also some 05's around on lots that are brand new that I'd consider. I like the 06 frontend changes though.

Biggest cons of my 03:
Interior sucked
Turbo lag (got P2 flash which helped, but was still evident)
Ride was harsh
Stereo was terrible
Exhaust was droney (after I put on 2.5" UR turboback)

If I did get an 06, I'd mod it immediately. I'd go piggy-back, cams, exhaust and supporting mods (ala injectors, headstuds) as well if that matters. I've got subs and stuff sitting at home to slap in if needs be.
I agree with some in saying that the Evo isn't for you. Some of the cons are characteristics of the Evo which is performance oriented. Cheap interior, harsh ride, although I am use to it. All turbos have some sort of lag. What is terrible about the stereo? I am happy with it, better than most stock systems. And you can't complain about the exhaust. You just chose the wrong exhaust. Get an AVO. 3" and doesn't drone.
I was thinking about getting a IX. But then I would be losing money. My '03 will be paid off in March, why would I want to spend more money? Especially since I will be buying a house. Why would I want more car payments?
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

fdub did have a point. It would be 152 at 3 years. I don't know too many people who would try to finance an evo for 3 years though. Thats why I posted ball park numbers for 5,6, & 7 years. But once again the number police raided me. I'm done on this thread. I will keep in touch with boomn29 privately as I have been doing.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

All the guys have pretty much posted all the valid points between the 05's vs 06's. If you can swing it, it's a no brainer for the 06. It has been improved much over the 05. I have them side by side, and can tell the difference.
Decision between the MR and GSR will have to be chosen based on what you want to do with the evo. If you are going to mod it extensively with rims, hid's, coilovers, and dont care about the 6 spd, go for the GSR. If all you want is to stay semi stock, and just do the TBE with a tune, the MR is a much nicer and better rider for daily use.
One thing that you really wants to do is to go and test drive / ride all the different versions and see what suits you best.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 15, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

There's also some 05's around on lots that are brand new that I'd consider.
There's also a $1500 rebate on '05's plus the fact that most dealers will be anxious to unload them. This could considerably widen the gap between the cost of buying an '06 MR vs. an '05 base GSR.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wilson1
All the guys have pretty much posted all the valid points between the 05's vs 06's. If you can swing it, it's a no brainer for the 06. It has been improved much over the 05. I have them side by side, and can tell the difference.
Decision between the MR and GSR will have to be chosen based on what you want to do with the evo. If you are going to mod it extensively with rims, hid's, coilovers, and dont care about the 6 spd, go for the GSR. If all you want is to stay semi stock, and just do the TBE with a tune, the MR is a much nicer and better rider for daily use.
One thing that you really wants to do is to go and test drive / ride all the different versions and see what suits you best.

Good Luck!
Good points. I still can't justify the 4-5k extra for the MR. Given, I still haven't been on testdrives, but I don't understand it.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

06>05
MR is different than GSR (not necessary better)
Whatever you do, get the options (or lack there of) that you want.
If you are going racing and/or plan to make big power, go with the 5 speed over the 6
Then just drive and have fun!

Shiv

Quick Reply: Buying an 06 Evo - former 03 owner - help.