Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying an 06 Evo - former 03 owner - help.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying an 06 Evo - former 03 owner - help.

Former Evo owner thinking about coming back....help. I previously had an 03 Evo I bought waaay back in like May I think, Silver.

Anyways, thinking about getting an 06 off the same dealer. Wanted to hear pros/cons on the MR vs normal IX considering I've previously owned an 03. There's also some 05's around on lots that are brand new that I'd consider. I like the 06 frontend changes though.

Biggest cons of my 03:
Interior sucked
Turbo lag (got P2 flash which helped, but was still evident)
Ride was harsh
Stereo was terrible
Exhaust was droney (after I put on 2.5" UR turboback)

If I did get an 06, I'd mod it immediately. I'd go piggy-back, cams, exhaust and supporting mods (ala injectors, headstuds) as well if that matters. I've got subs and stuff sitting at home to slap in if needs be.

Last edited by boomn29; Jan 13, 2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Former Evo owner thinking about coming back....help. I previously had an 03 Evo I bought waaay back in like May I think, Silver.

Anyways, thinking about getting an 06 off the same dealer. Wanted to hear pros/cons on the MR vs normal IX considering I've previously owned an 03. There's also some 05's around on lots that are brand new that I'd consider. I like the 06 frontend changes though.

Biggest cons of my 03:
Interior sucked
Ride was harsh
Stereo was terrible

If I did get an 06, I'd mod it immediately. I'd go piggy-back, cams, exhaust and supporting mods (ala injectors, headstuds) as well if that matters. I've got subs and stuff sitting at home to slap in if needs be.
Con: IX GSR
Pro: IX MR

nuff said
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

To me it doesn't even sound like the Evo is the right car for you...
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Boom29, D@mn glad to see ya. Its been a while. If you are considering another evo you must purcase the IX for two reason MIVEC (Varible valve timing on the intake side) and the Bigger turbo housing on the IX 16g. More torque and more power right from the start.

As for GSR or MR, Doesn't matter. If you are going to mod I would go with the GSR probably.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
Are you saying the improvements are any good?
The new interior I like, pretty sweet. Dash still has a lot of plastic, but I can take it.
Exhaust, I'd go with 3" this time, and something different. Had a friend that ran a testpipe and AMS exhaust, sounded like an F1 car; really neat - probably too loud though.

A lot of these cons are because I went to an STi, and those are it's strong points. Better interior (only blue as an option though, no leather or anything), better exhaust rumble outta the boxer engine, and more torque down low outta the 2.5L. Of course, I modded it up more so that's not really fair. There's pro's on the STi, but I don't wanna get into that in this thread.

I wanna know the regular IX vs the MR!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

ok, when it comes down to just daily driving there is only the advantage of the bilistien suspension on the MR. for the track(road course) the MR shorter gear ratios can keep you in the RPM level you want or need in a race...but on the strip can hurt you if your car is decently modded. I wouldn't go as far as saying the '03 interior sux but the IX is way beautiful. Your comapring turbo lag with the STi i can understand why you would think the Evo would suck. But the new technology with Mivec and a little bit bigger of a 16g really helps for a Clean quick pick up power band.

I personaly would get the IX MR, but i've also owned the 5 speed Evo so thats my own preference
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just went through the same thing. Of course you will get a ton of different opinions on this, but I say it depends on what you are planning on doing with the car. I ended up buying the straight 9 for these reasons.
1. Plannned on changing wheels anyway.
2. Can only lower the MR 1 inch and its a flat lower 7/8 ft and rr. So, if you want to lower the MR you will have to go to a full coil over.

To me,that right there are the two big reasons why you'd buy an MR. Suspension and wheels.

3. HIDS are nice but for 345 I can buy a way better aftermarket set(8K).
4. Now to the little hard to read guages. Buy any aftermarket set for near the same price and put them somwhere you can read them.

This basically leaves the tranny and aluminum roof. Vortex gens can be bought for 185 bucks also. I am by no means knocking the MR. I had actually ordered one and when I went to pick it up saw the EB straight 9. I fell in love with the color and that was the end of the story. If your plans are having a nice riding evo with little to no mods the MR is the way to go. But, if you are planning on doing a heap of mods like wheels, suspension, etc you are wasting your initial higher cost of about 4k. You can't go wrong either way, both are beautiful and the 6 speed would be nice. One more thing, my friend bought the MR I was suppose to buy and I had a chance to drive it back to back with my 9. Power is obviously identical, but the MR did ride alot nicer. Just depends on your mod planning Good luck and make sure you at least buy an evo...............
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
Boom29, D@mn glad to see ya. Its been a while. If you are considering another evo you must purcase the IX for two reason MIVEC (Varible valve timing on the intake side) and the Bigger turbo housing on the IX 16g. More torque and more power right from the start.

As for GSR or MR, Doesn't matter. If you are going to mod I would go with the GSR probably.
Hey buddy! Perfect answers, that's the kinda comparo I'm wanting!
For the 06 - Different rims, a bit different suspension, weight savings a 6sp, is that really it for the MR differences?
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Hey buddy! Perfect answers, that's the kinda comparo I'm wanting!
For the 06 - Different rims, a bit different suspension, weight savings a 6sp, is that really it for the MR differences?
Yep thats pretty much about it, I believe the weight savings is about 20lbs from everything. You do get the active center diff with the MR as well but everything is pretty minimal to me honestly. I like both so for me it would probably come down to exterior color choice and the drive.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
I just went through the same thing. Of course you will get a ton of different opinions on this, but I say it depends on what you are planning on doing with the car. I ended up buying the straight 9 for these reasons.
Thanks, good points. I'm gonna mod it, that's a definite. Like to bring it up near 400hp crank. That can be done w/o a turbo upgrade I believe, so we'll see.
And you're right, the factory guages leave a little to be desired. Those Defi's are my fave! If ya got the coin, the D-gauge setup with the auto-playback would be supersweet.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
Yep thats pretty much about it, I believe the weight savings is about 20lbs from everything. You do get the active center diff with the MR as well but everything is pretty minimal to me honestly. I like both so for me it would probably come down to exterior color choice and the drive.
The color I'd want is available on both the IX and MR - Graphite Gray Pearl!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Biggest cons of my 03:
Interior sucked
Ride was harsh
Stereo was terrible

Evo doesn't seem like the car to you IMO, maybe you'd be happy with a car like a 350Z or something like that. If you think the interior sucked in your 8, I doubt the 9 will change your mind. Turbo lag might be mitigated by the addition of MIVEC but I'm not sure, I know the MIVEC adds more Torque which might make the car seem less laggy. Ride is still going to be harsh, though I've heard the MR rides a little nicer, though I've never rode in one. Stereo is still the same, and the exhaust is going to be droney if you upgrade, that's just a fact of life.

As for your mods, I wouldn't use a piggy back unless you plan on making changes as you go and are tuning yourself, there is really no reason with flashes being cheap and reliable. Cams really aren't needed, not for the intake anyway, but even then if you don't like the added noise, cams will make the car....different to drive. You're not going to need injectors or head studs with those mod levels anyway if you ask me, unless you plan on taking it to the track and running some high octane / high boost.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
Evo doesn't seem like the car to you IMO, maybe you'd be happy with a car like a 350Z or something like that. If you think the interior sucked in your 8, I doubt the 9 will change your mind. Turbo lag might be mitigated by the addition of MIVEC but I'm not sure, I know the MIVEC adds more Torque which might make the car seem less laggy. Ride is still going to be harsh, though I've heard the MR rides a little nicer, though I've never rode in one. Stereo is still the same, and the exhaust is going to be droney if you upgrade, that's just a fact of life.

As for your mods, I wouldn't use a piggy back unless you plan on making changes as you go and are tuning yourself, there is really no reason with flashes being cheap and reliable. Cams really aren't needed, not for the intake anyway, but even then if you don't like the added noise, cams will make the car....different to drive. You're not going to need injectors or head studs with those mod levels anyway if you ask me, unless you plan on taking it to the track and running some high octane / high boost.

Hope this helps.
Drove seveal 350z's. They are too small, and RWD, which is primarily why I don't like the Mustang.
I did the flash before, hated it. You're stuck with that tuner, you miss out on a lot of hp too using 'off the shelf tunes'. There's a local guy that tunes, and I'll be taking it to him, so no problem there.
Imo, if you open up the head to put in cams, might as well do springs/retainers/head studs so you can rev higher, and be ready for a turbo upgrade later down the road. Why backtrack. Went through this thought process all before with the 03, but decided to sell it instead.
As for the exhaust noise drone, hmmmm. I expect some with any upgraded car.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
+1 you should buy a BMW
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
3. HIDS are nice but for 345 I can buy a way better aftermarket set(8K).
There is no such thing as better HIDs than OEM.

Quick Reply: Buying an 06 Evo - former 03 owner - help.