Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

BRAND NEW JDM Evo IXs have poor body panel & light fitment from factory?!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2006, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just received my brand new JDM evo IX from Japan.
I don't have the alignment problems as you stated. The bumper, hood, lights,
everything seems fine.

But, yes. Like you said, I also received the center under panel, right under panel, a piece of front bumper and rear bumper tow cover in plastic bags in the boot.

ONE IMPORTANT THING: Remove the suspension spacers (rubber pieces) in the front suspensions.

My car had 23 km on the ODO when I released it from the container.

Here is my car pictures:
My VIII and IX
Old Jan 14, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Here's the panels you are talking about, right?

Check out this thread as well:
Suspension Spacer
Attached Thumbnails BRAND NEW JDM Evo IXs have poor body panel & light fitment from factory?!!!-panels.jpg  
Old Jan 14, 2006, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chamama
Here's the panels you are talking about, right?

Check out this thread as well:
Suspension Spacer
Yes, that is exactly the panels in the boot in the plastic bags i was talking about.

So I guess that part of their story matches up fine (about how this stuff isn't installed on the cars from the factory and are installed by the dealers themselves).
Old Jan 14, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

I just received my brand new JDM evo IX from Japan.
I don't have the alignment problems as you stated. The bumper, hood, lights,
everything seems fine.

But, yes. Like you said, I also received the center under panel, right under panel, a piece of front bumper and rear bumper tow cover in plastic bags in the boot.

ONE IMPORTANT THING: Remove the suspension spacers (rubber pieces) in the front suspensions.

My car had 23 km on the ODO when I released it from the container.

Here is my car pictures:
My VIII and IX
Right... okay... so the the bumper tow cover and under panel stuff is NOT installed. I presume the dealers in each country would normally pre-install this stuff before showing the customers.

I'll check for the suspension spacers... is it easy to see externally without removing stuff?

As for the fitment stuff, was everything 100% lined up perfect? Were any of the nuts/bolts holding the lights and stuff touched/scratched?
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

bud the car has most likely never been touched and is brand new as it was stated above a lot of cars have small imperfections which can be adjusted, and in most cases are at the dealer before the delivery. I think ur just being a bit obsessed
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

NOTHING internal should be touvhed/scratched!

Suspension spacer can be removed by slightly jacking up the car. Then put in your hand and just pull it out! No need to take tires off.

Post pics ofyour car, then I can give some comments regarding alignment.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
PDI = Pre-delivery Inspection
nevermind
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Okay, I guess I'll proceed on the assumption they have not pre-crashed the car and that is why a few little things are out of alignment.

What else, besides the suspension spacers, should I pay attention to from your experience?
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nvr2fast
Okay, I guess I'll proceed on the assumption they have not pre-crashed the car and that is why a few little things are out of alignment.

What else, besides the suspension spacers, should I pay attention to from your experience?

Check the fluids--engine oil, brake fluid, etc. Everything should be fine. My intercooler spray tank was pretty low, so I had to fill 'er up. It had some blue fluid in it, but I just poured in water. That's about it! Drive the car, and break it in! I got the car 5 days ago and already got 500 km on the ODO...just can't stop driving it!

BTW, the manual is in Japanese. So I don't understand anything. I guess you don't too. But if you do, please tell me what does the manual say about:

1) Immobilizer and alarm---how to activate it?
2) What fluid is recommended in the intercooler sprayer tank?
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Just to confirm a few things that have been said by others...

I had an '03 USDM EVO and there were some minor imperfections from day one. The hood and trunk were never perfectly aligned, and the driver's door was off a bit too. None of these things were blatantly obvious, but if you were detail oriented and took the time to check out the car closely, you would notice them.

I had an '01 Eclipse before the EVO and some of the body panels on that were even worse (although it was manufactured in the US, so I'd expect quality to be a bit lower). I took it to the dealer and complained a bit, but all they'd tell me is that the panel alignments were within factory specs.

Out of all the cars I've had, the two Mitsubishis I've owned have had the worst alignment of body panels. Perhaps the tolerances Mitsu sets are more "loose" than that of other manufacturers?

Cabo
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

sounds fine
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Check the fluids--engine oil, brake fluid, etc. Everything should be fine. My intercooler spray tank was pretty low, so I had to fill 'er up. It had some blue fluid in it, but I just poured in water. That's about it! Drive the car, and break it in! I got the car 5 days ago and already got 500 km on the ODO...just can't stop driving it!

BTW, the manual is in Japanese. So I don't understand anything. I guess you don't too. But if you do, please tell me what does the manual say about:

1) Immobilizer and alarm---how to activate it?
2) What fluid is recommended in the intercooler sprayer tank?
Being in HK I can read chinese, so I could probably have a better idea of what the japanese stuff said.

But I would imagine the USA manual should be pretty similar to the JDM one, except translated? Maybe I can get a chinese one or english one from the mitsu dealer... paid of course.

Or maybe someone already scanned it in?
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=nvr2fast]I hate to ask, but what is "PDI" process?[QUOTE]

I work for a Volvo dealer and if I'm not mistaken, the PDI stands for...
Pre
Delivery
Inspection

It's done to make sure vehicle is ready for sale to new owner or to be presented on the lot ready to be driven.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

I guess a dealer will do the "PDI" prior to putting it on the lot, if there are any things to touch up after receiving the car, like any body panels obviously shifted or stuff like that.

Anyway, guess I have a lot more confidence in buying this car now... especially after I hear others also got their brand new Evos with body panels, bumper, etc. a bit off. Sounds like Mitsu's Quality Control simply isn't as tight as Toyota/Lexus and Honda's.

Quick Reply: BRAND NEW JDM Evo IXs have poor body panel & light fitment from factory?!!!