Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Installed: 42 Draft Designs Panel and SW Gauges

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2006, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2kjettaguy
The kit comes with the oil drain plug sender adaptor as we were concerned that some EVO's did not come with the second plug in the oil filter housing. The car I work on has the extra plug, but many customers have reported to me that they had no extra plug. I have had enough positive reports that the second plug exists on all cars that I will be modifying all the kits to include an adaptor for the temp sender to go into the oil filter flange. Steve should have his adaptor by today or tommorow.

MrMejia - I believe we've been communicating via email. Now that I have read this thread I have better insight on what your problem is. You're using the brass 3/8 NPT adaptor that comes with the SW oil temp gauge to screw it into the oil filter flange. THis is not correct. You need to use the included drain plug adaptor or wait for me to release the temp sender adaptor for the oil filoter flange. I am currently fresh out of all EVO adaptors for the oil filter flange but I am tooling up the production lathe to make a huge batch for a variety of sender sizes.

Just to clarify - SW temp and pressure gauges come with a bunch of adaptors that noone but domestic hot rod owners can use. They are all NPT. You are NOT supposed to use these adaptors for anything and it's our mistake that we left them in there. mitsubishi uses BSPT threaded senders and plugs for fluids. NPT =/= NPT, EVER. NPT and BSPT differ by 1 thread per inch and slightly by outer diameter. Never try to screw an NPT fitting into a BSPT hole.

Feel free to post up any questions you guys have,

Evan

When will you be releasing the temp sender for one of the oil galleys in the block?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Are these available for 52mm gauges?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
looks really nice clean install...have to appreciate your work
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Nice Are these available for 52mm gauges?

Thats what they're made for.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

I really want to order one of the complete kits, but...I don't know where I'd take it to get it installed, I'm far from Mr. Fix-it.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

nice gauges
Old Jan 19, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
looks really nice clean install...have to appreciate your work
Thanks, I'm a stickler about keeping wiring clean... took a whilte to build the harnesses but the results are worth it IMO.

- Steve
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

thank you so much evan, your customer service is top notch. And I will be purchasing the new adapters.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 07:05 AM

That looks perfect. That it the look I am trying to achieve with my car. What kind of gauges are those (i think you said that but I missed it)
Old Jan 21, 2006, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MDoe8
That looks perfect. That it the look I am trying to achieve with my car. What kind of gauges are those (i think you said that but I missed it)
Yes I did, multiple times, so scroll back up and check it out....
Old Jan 21, 2006, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2kjettaguy
The kit comes with the oil drain plug sender adaptor as we were concerned that some EVO's did not come with the second plug in the oil filter housing. The car I work on has the extra plug, but many customers have reported to me that they had no extra plug. I have had enough positive reports that the second plug exists on all cars that I will be modifying all the kits to include an adaptor for the temp sender to go into the oil filter flange. Steve should have his adaptor by today or tommorow.

MrMejia - I believe we've been communicating via email. Now that I have read this thread I have better insight on what your problem is. You're using the brass 3/8 NPT adaptor that comes with the SW oil temp gauge to screw it into the oil filter flange. THis is not correct. You need to use the included drain plug adaptor or wait for me to release the temp sender adaptor for the oil filoter flange. I am currently fresh out of all EVO adaptors for the oil filter flange but I am tooling up the production lathe to make a huge batch for a variety of sender sizes.

Just to clarify - SW temp and pressure gauges come with a bunch of adaptors that noone but domestic hot rod owners can use. They are all NPT. You are NOT supposed to use these adaptors for anything and it's our mistake that we left them in there. mitsubishi uses BSPT threaded senders and plugs for fluids. NPT =/= NPT, EVER. NPT and BSPT differ by 1 thread per inch and slightly by outer diameter. Never try to screw an NPT fitting into a BSPT hole.

Feel free to post up any questions you guys have,

Evan

Evan -

New temp sender adaptor works PERFECT. Now reading totally useable, believable oil temps!

Your customer Service rocks, thanks again...

- Steve
Old Jan 21, 2006, 07:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Steve - thanks for the feedback!

I will be cranking them out this week in 1/8" NPT and BSPT versions.

Evan
Old Jan 22, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Evan(or anyone else that can help),
I'm trying to color match the lighting of my VDO gauges that I got from 42 Draft Designs to the OEM gauges. The bulbs I got from 42DD are too red to match with the OEM orange color. Any ideas??
Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2006, 07:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Barnettevo - VW guys have this same problem with the blue interior lighting. For this we make a specific custom LED system which matches perfectly. The cost is $15 per LED for VDO gauges, $12 per LED for SW gauges and $15 for a power regulator to drive the LEDs.

Perhaps a similar solution is needed for the EVO? We have been supplying our gauges with the red LEDs are they are as closer than our amber LEDs. I believe the EVO uses light bulbs to light the cluster as opposed to the VW's LEDs. You should be able to work with light bulbs easily! Maybe a colored bulb cover would be a better experiment...

Evan