Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

power to weight..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power to weight..

how much does weight really effect power...i feel a definite loss in power with a few passengers in the car..how bout u guys, do u feel a loss in power with passengers in your car?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

no such thing as a loss in power with added weight....the more weight you have...the more *** the engine has to haul. Same amount of power but just more weight slows down the car. It does affect performance greatly. Look at the weight difference between RS and GSR and then just look at the performance numbers between the two. That should give you a good idea. Also, the A/C adds strain to the motor. The motor pulls like crap with the A/C on or when the air is on defrost mode since that automatically turns on the A/C.

Last edited by AJsGenerX; Jan 16, 2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^+1 simple physics here....
Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lancerlover
no such thing as a loss in power with added weight....the more weight you have...the more *** the engine has to haul. Same amount of power but just more weight slows down the car. It does affect performance greatly. Look at the weight difference between RS and GSR and then just look at the performance numbers between the two. That should give you a good idea. Also, the A/C adds strain the motor. The motor pulls like crap with the A/C on or when the air is on defrost mode since that automatically turns on the A/C.

have to disagree. yes takeing weight out will make car faster. and also lighter which braking and handling go up. and yes i know if you have a 300hp car it will always say 300hp on dyno but if you do some math. you have say stock evo 3340 and with say 300hp and then take out 300lb of car for say so now down to 3040lb or so. which will make you have say 1.somthing more hp ever 10lb so then that will = to make your car have more hp in away. im dont know the hole math behind it but i know it sure works. becasue my car is almost fully gutted. and i have just over 300hp and keeping up with 440hp and 390hp cars. that are fully weight
Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

hell yeah i can feel the difference when i have my car filled with people
Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Here's a simple way. If you have 280hp, if you add a 280lb person, that's another pound/hp you've added. When you're talking about a car that has roughly 11lbs/hp, that's significant... almost 10 percent increase in weight... or 2 160lb people is a 10% increase in weight of the car...
Old Jan 16, 2006, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are many factors but rule of thumb is often 10hp for every 100lbs. So If a 3,000lb car has 300hp it will roughly be the same as a 3,100lb car having 310hp. This is only an estimate and will very depending on other factors such as gravity (up hill vs down hill), etc.

I can definitely tell the difference with extra people in my car including only one. This includes cornering. When I Solo2 with a passenger, the car definitely behaves a little differently.

Last edited by DragNRacing; Jan 16, 2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Power = force x velocity
force = mass x acceleration

Thus,
acceleration = power / (mass x velocity)

You can see that accelaration is inversly proportional to mass.

Lets say your car weighs 3400 lb with just you in it. If you add 3 friends (about 500 lbs), then your car will be about 15 % heavier. Therefore, your acceleration will be about 15% less.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

well technically if the weight distribution from driver to passenger is unequal the car COULD handle worse. it all depends on the corner weighting, which i'm unsure of stock.

acceleration and braking is, of course, worse, but the benefits of track/aggressive driving can only be proven by lap times.