Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock EVO 8 runs so rich!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock EVO 8 runs so rich!

My 03 stock runs so rich!! It stays in band on a narrow band a/f gauge and no ecu codes related to o2 sensors or emissions, but it runs yucky rich. Doesnt burn any oil, but it smokes a little at idle. Today i washed the car good and cleaned the muffler, so i sprayed some water in there, started it up and the water ,goosh , shot back out (good good) and i guess it loosened up all the carbon build up because now it just pours smoke. its a little better now it warmed up and i guess blew most of it out It was pretty ugly going wot in 2nd and leaving a smoke trail behind the car. hah. is it normal for a evo to run that rich?! i know the old eclipse gst 4g63's didnt run that nasty rich. Thanks! -- Jeremy
Old Jan 17, 2006, 05:14 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo's are known to run pig rich from the factory.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Do you think a standalone would be a good idea this soon? I want to lean it out a little and just give it a better tune. All i have is a open element air filter. I really like the UTEC, but using hyperterminal to 'talk' to the utec is kinda silly, but it like that it leaves all the a/c, ic spray, and others to the stock ecu and uses the utec for the ignition and fuel. anyways, yeah, too soon for a ecu? or not?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

I'd recommend a flash, definitely a good start to moding since it appears your new to Evo's. Flashes have been used on lightly modded all the way to all out built with turbo kits. Check into dynoflash, turbotrix, jestr tuning etc... Definitely search for what you plan to do before making any decisions...
Old Jan 17, 2006, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

get an AFC
Old Jan 17, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i dont like piggy backs and reflashing the ecu is ok , ive looked in the ecu, it has a 208-pin microcontroller made by ROHM (no datasheet )for the 'brain' not sure where the flash memory is , mabybe internal to the microcontroller, there is also a ic with a mitsubishi symbol on it where most of the signals (crankpos, campos, maf, o2, tps, etc.) go, so thats most likely a dsp. i dont really like mailing in my ecu becase , one the evo is my only car, and two, i cant change what they do, id rather modify my own ecu.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

I don't like mailing the ECU anywhere either, did that back on my RSX Type S, them 3 days without a car was rough. When I got my evo flashed, I drove the car to Orlando and had John from Jestr Tuning do it. Instantly a difference, and no complaints. Al from Dynoflash travels around, and will come to you if you have enough people... Might want to look into that...
Old Jan 17, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Judging by my gas mileage, my car runs super rich, even after the flash
Old Jan 17, 2006, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you do sound a little richer than most. might be a good idea to go back to the original intake till you have time to get some kind of tune.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 06:24 PM

I looked into this a while back- I also think my Evo runs too rich in closed loop. I took a long (7 hrs each way) drive this weekend and got 26 mpg on the hwy cruising at about 70-75. I have a huge amount of soot around my tailpipe everytime I wash the car. I have the TTM flash but did not find a difference in mileage, likely because it doesn't touch closed-loop mode. I am seriosly considering an AFC and leaning it out myself, probably for 3500 rpm and below. I don't mind running rich at WOT to avoid detonation/disaster, I just think the car runs too rich for regular light throttle driving. I know the aerodynamics and drivetrain are diffrent, but I was getting over 30 mpg on my front drive DSM at 16 PSI, and this was from 40,000 miles on the odo until the car was totalled with 165,000 on it.

A while back, I noticed that Al was getting up to 34 mpg hwy on his Evo. He did not want to lean my car out in that manner because he was unsure of longevity and has had no flash-related engine failures so far. The potential is there, we just have to get to it.

Take care,
Franc
'03 Evo
Old Jan 17, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigfishs
Judging by my gas mileage, my car runs super rich, even after the flash
I have gotten better gas mileage since my Dynoflash.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

A narrowband gauge? Of course it will show you running rich, those things are for vanity and show you nothing, might as well just guess. You dont have to use hyperterminal with the utec, there are a couple very good programs to use with the UTEC. Uteclogger and UTEC control center are two of them, so you dont have to use hyperterminal. I am figuring them out right now, they are WAY better than hyperterminal.

How rich is yucky rich?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silver_evo
yeah i dont like piggy backs and reflashing the ecu is ok , ive looked in the ecu, it has a 208-pin microcontroller made by ROHM (no datasheet )for the 'brain' not sure where the flash memory is , mabybe internal to the microcontroller, there is also a ic with a mitsubishi symbol on it where most of the signals (crankpos, campos, maf, o2, tps, etc.) go, so thats most likely a dsp. i dont really like mailing in my ecu becase , one the evo is my only car, and two, i cant change what they do, id rather modify my own ecu.

Well bro from the sound of it - you need a Standalone ECU. AEM EMS is the way to go. You want to tune every aspect of your ECU yourself - here is your way. You will be able to do it. And no - its not too early to have the AEM with your stock turbo. i have a stock turbo and have the AEM too. I love it. You will love it too for the way you think. Good luck!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

right i know narrow band is useless for tuning, but its range of measurment is like 14.1 to 14.9 i believe after that the change in voltage vs change in afr is exponential and you cant really measure it, so i know the mixture is going back and forth between those two , at wot it just goes full rich, so i dont know what the value is. i do need a stand alone ecu. oh HiRevnVIII yucky rich is rich is just richer than id like it, it doesnt leave stains on my bumper, but its smokey and smelly. how'd this thing pass emissions hah.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

34 mpg hwy huh, thats what i like, then as soon as you get WOT it drops to like 6mpg, fuel efficency and power.

Quick Reply: Stock EVO 8 runs so rich!