Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ex supra owners

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a good thread, as i am debating weather or not to get a 05 evo, or a 93-97tt. Bot are great cars. The question is which one will suit my needs 6 months from now. If i can afford it, im going to get a Supra, just because they are true true sports cars with awsome power. Dont get me wrong the evo is killer, just has better uses in different ways.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

I used to own a supra, Then bought a 03 WW, Now am going to sell it and get a TB 06, Both are great for different reason's. My dad owns a black 94 TT 6-speed, And like somebody said nothing beats the sound of a inline 6, Maybe a F1 car. I plan to get a black supra with in the next year as a daily driver when my Evo is being built. Its probably going to be my friends 94 Black HARDTOP TT 6-speed, If I get it I will own my 2 favorite cars, both black.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

i know, i should have ever gotten rid of that car! there so rare, and fast, and it handles like a shopping cart, and the aerodynamics are incredible, its like a brick in a wind tunnel.

Originally Posted by F&I-EVO
Stupid!!!
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

^^^
HaHa. thats funny, first time it was ok, But that was just funny(and clever)
Old Jan 18, 2006, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05 EVO RS
i know, i should have ever gotten rid of that car! there so rare, and fast, and it handles like a shopping cart, and the aerodynamics are incredible, its like a brick in a wind tunnel.
Go to Supraforums, there are tons for sale there. Supra owners are funny though, they think that car is a porche. They ask way too much.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id like to have a supra
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GREDDY
Go to Supraforums, there are tons for sale there. Supra owners are funny though, they think that car is a porche. They ask way too much.
same thing with mk2/3 mr2's. it's supply and demand. unfortunately supra's are very high in demand, so their values are insane.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:36 AM

I've never owned either car, but I have friends with supras and friends with evos. I've ridden in both and driven both. They are both spectacular cars, but they were built and designed for two different things. What you like best is gonna depend on what you want to do with the car and your driving style. even if i had the money i'm not sure i could decide between them.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

never owned a supra, but i know both the evo and supra are in the same league. but me personally i would go with something new such as the evo. its hard nowadays trying to find a used supra with no mods and fora good price.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 04:30 AM

TT supra is a sex appeal car, and a power car for sure. It dosnt have the traction stability room , nor presance of the evo. I would go with my evolution all day though I have always loved the Supra .
Old Feb 8, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by IREVO
For some reason it seems the Supra guys prefer the STI. Probably the bigger engine. Two of my friends have switched to STI's and if the STI forums there are several that have made the switch.
True, but I like the EVO as well and really enjoy following the "Evolution" of those cars. They keep getting better and better--very impressive.

As far as Supra prices, it's all about supply(low) and demand(High). They will always go for a premium price and there is no end in site. It's an incredible GT car even 10+ years after they were first introduced(MKIV). I got a Black 6-speed 3 years ago for 27K with 42 thousand miles on it. I have NO doubts I could sell it for the exact same price, or maybe even a little more seeing I fixed it up substantially.
Attached Thumbnails Ex supra owners-supracanon006.jpg  

Last edited by garrettjj; Feb 8, 2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

ex supra owner here 93.5 baltic blue tt auto, and 94 white tt 6spd..... didnt miss them too much till my friend just ordered his gt47-80 turbo! now i gotta find a way to keep up
Old Feb 8, 2006, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

I am an Ex 500+ HP 300ZX TT owner and I have no regrets. Purchasing the EVO was a great step forward. With more than 10 years of engineering under its belt the EVO beats the Z out in every category except looks to some but not me, I like the EVOs aggressive looks over the Z as well! In the Z all of that horse power was a waste of money. At the Drag Strip its 4,000+lbs (w/ driver) chassis was a b!tch to get off of the line and then wheel spin insued. At the Autox events it was like driving a boat with all the over and understeer. The stock brakes would over heat after one stop. After tuning the fragile Z would break at a moments notice!!! The Z forum TT.net is old and not willing to change.

I love my EVO it is everything that the Z was not. The EVO is a giant killer!!!!!! This community rocks and the support of tuner shops is almost unparalled!

The EVO for this day in time is the car to own.

Take care,

-Nate
Old Feb 8, 2006, 06:21 PM

I own an '89 MKIII HKS Stage 4 Supra - Automatic. If you don't think its the same as the MKIV, well, you're correct, but its close. Because of the Auto it has a very smooth and very strong powerband as it holds boost through each gear. I honestly think they are two very different beasts. The supra's gearing and boost makes it very difficult to navigate through tight twisties. By the time you spool up, the back end gets happy and your choices for recovery are limited. Also, its very nice to constantly have traction with awd. The supra doesn't see much inclimate weather, but I fear when it does.

The one thing I have to disagree with is about the supra guys wanting too much for their cars. Supra guys generally take care of their stuff and invest the money it needs into it. I've noticed that many MKIV's with the right owners need little to no work. I think that goes a long way when it comes to price. Speaking of affordability, the biggest advantage to a new evo is the confidence that its probably got ~100k miles of drivability with little cost. Should something happen to that 2jz motor you've already dropped a ton of money into owning, you're staring at a hefty bill to repair. Plus that, the novelty in owning a supra is knowing you can decimate anything street-legal, but you can't really do that without mods. So, then you spend a boatload on expensive mods and the next guy you sell it to would have preferred stock.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 85 5mg and 97 tt and now I have a 06 evo 9. I have no regrets in owning my supras. I love supras and always will. Now I want to see if this mitsu is as good as my supras. I know its faster off the line but after 3rd gear my supra womps on the evo all day every day. I know cause my friend raced me in his 03 gsr. We raced in a drag several times he kept beating me. We raced on the freeway and the evo just can NOT keep up.

Mitsus have had problems with their drivetrain and toyota has had problems TRYING to break down. I mean the ****ing things just keep freakin running! My 5mg has over 220,000miles on it and it has never been rebuilt. My friends 22r has over 300,000miles on it and has never been rebuilt. My friends gsx has gone through 5 trannys in 5 years.

I hoep they fixed that problem with the evo 9.