Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Racing Helmets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racing Helmets

Does anyone know a good place to get a good track helmet for a good price? i guess what im looking for is something good, ha.

i signed up for NASA (national auto sports association) so i need a helmet for track lessons

why am i posting in an evo fourm even though i own a base lancer? im pretty sure people with evo's are racing on the track a little more then the base lancers, plus evo guys out number us by like 20 to 1
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.helmetharbor.com/ is good for motorcycle stuff. Not sure if that will work for your needs though.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

^ ha you know what i honestly dont even know what im looking for as far as wearing a helmet in a car, are the street motorcycle ones exactly the same?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Well I think most organzations have requirements that your helmet has to meet, like DOT approval or Snell approval. Most helmets (all you will find on Helmet Harbor) meet DOT, most of the higher end models meet Snell requirements also. You need to see what NASA requires.

Honestly, if I were you I'd look for something used. Unless you just want something in particular. If you get a full-face helmet, you'll just want to run with the face-shield removed so it doesn't fog. (not much airflow in a car) I would recommend, and your organization may require this, that you at least get something with a chinbar...NOT open face or 1/2 helmets. That bar in front of your mouth can protect those molars from taking a chunk out the steering wheel during impact. You could probably also use Moto-X helmets, as many of those meet DOT regs, they have a good chinbar and usually a visor also to keep the sun out of your eyes if needed. They are cheap too!
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/gforcehelmets.html

i have the one with flames on it yea yea, shut up! it's a very nice helmet, i got it for much less, $120 from a friend who used to be a vendor. it doubles up as a motorcycle helmet, can be used for autox AND road racing too. shop around for prices. btw props to u for wanting to get into serious racing
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

^ ha thanks, yeah im trying to get into more then APC taillights and motegi "racing rims"

but yeah, my dad works with a guy who is a part of nasa and so far it sounds like a great program, ill do a write up with my expierience prolly when i return from the track lessons
www.nasaproracing.com

but cool, basically any motor cycle helmet that is DOT approved works huh? good, i guess i should asked what kind from the get go, but yeah, now all im concerned about is price and style, ya know, no flames (sorry JoizeeX haha)
Old Jan 20, 2006, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

This is where I bought my last two helmets. I prefer Soloracer.com
http://www.thebellstore.com/Auto/racer.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/solorace...bellsrpro.html
Old Jan 20, 2006, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

i use the walmart helmets, they are dot approved. 70ish bux

not sure what nasa requires, i use the same helmet riding motorcycles and whenever i drive my car at a event just in case something bad does happen.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ebay! type in SA2000 or SA2005 and you'll see some good deals
Old Jan 20, 2006, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Pep Boys, Walmart or Ebay will all have helmets for $70 or so. I would recommend Walmart or Pep Boys so you can try it on, but I had good luck with the fit of mine I bought on Ebay. All will be DOT approved and should be fine for what you want. However, if you are going to ride a motorcycle, I would invest in a much better helmet.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

NASA requires an SA2000 helmet. A 'M' helmet (motorcycle) will not pass tech.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

According to the NASA Rules and Regulations 2006.4

11.3 Required Safety Equipment - Driver

All participants should utilize equipment that meets or exceeds these minimum
requirements, while driving on track:
1. Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1990 (SA1990; M1990) or newer (or
equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles.

So a M1990, M1995, M2000, M2005 should work for NASA HPDE events, but they will not work at all track events. SA rated helmets are the best bet to cover more events, wish I would have bought an SA helmet last year instead of my M2000.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.arai.com/
Old Jan 20, 2006, 08:32 AM

Helmets.

Go to www.buymotorcyclehelmets.com If you want something there in the full face section http://www.buymotorcyclehelmets.com/...ory.asp?cat=59
if you want any of them, I can get it to you at a discount. If anyone needs something or even a custom helmet I can do it for you. I can try to post up some custom made helmets later.

PM me and I can get you a good price on any of those helmets.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Go to a motorcycle shop like Cycle gear. You can buy a KBC helmet for around a 100 bucks. They are pretty good and most likely better then the one in Walmart (at least construction quality wise).

Or try on a shoei in a store to know your size and buy it online. In terms of protection KBC, Arai, Shoei, Suomy, Nolan are arguably the same. But in construction quality you will notice the difference. Fitment on the other hand is based on the person's head.

Quick Reply: Racing Helmets