Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Regular IX or MR???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regular IX or MR???

I'm an SRT owner who realized the mistake of buying FWD.....and a lemon!! New here so HI to all!!!

My question is whether the price difference is worth it between the 2 cars??

I've test driven both cars and found both to be fantastic!! The 5spd in the regular IX felt a little better to me, but that may also be because I'm used to 5spds. The 6spd felt a little short, gear wise, so getting around town is probably a little bit more hectic. But I would assume that it gets better gas mileage on a highway cruise!!

I don't really care for the leather, sunroof, and sound package. The regular seats that come standard on the IX I felt were a big improvement as far as aesthetics and textures are concerned, so leather is definitely not a necessity. The sound system is weak in all of the cars, and back in FL sunroofs always seem to just let more heat in. I'll get the aftermarket HID's later.

So, I would be looking at the regular, $31,999 IX versus the $35,900 or so I've seen for the MR. The handling felt very similar, and comfort and driveability as well. I didn't redline or dog either of the cars, so I couldn't really tell which one would be the "faster" one.

Is the 6spd that much better than the 5spd?? Does the aluminum roof, hollow cams, and slightly lighter wheels make the difference?? Or is the MR simply just for exclusivity and wow factor?? Thanks!!!
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:14 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

It comes down to if you really want to have all that the MR offers over the IX. I, for one, couldn't justify spending an extra $5k for it, so I left with a regular IX and don't regret my decision at all.

Last edited by Rnm; Jan 22, 2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All Evos came with Hollow cams. The rides is softer yet sportier on the MR.

The clutch feeling on the MR is softer because the reatainer springs in the disc are longer yet equally strong.

The shifter on the MR is significantly better than the 5 speed, teflon coated cables, short throw and counter weightd balance shifter makes shifting very easy and precise

The remaining difference of money comes from HID kit light with fog lights,
BBS forged aluminium rims, 6 speeds,vortex generator, interior accents(carbon fiber)
and tripple gauge meter.

You get what you pay, as a whole package the MR is a good deal, some might argue and some might not care about other performance features but reality is that there are 3 Evos for 3 type of clients and budgets.

my .2c
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
I was in the same boat as you ... debating on th MR or the reg GSR ... I went with the GSR. Reason being is that 1) I plan on getting new wheels (actually have already ordered them .. so could careless about the stock wheels) 2) I'm getting new suspension (so no use for the bilstens 3) Gettting beter guages ... So for me it basiclly came down to ... is the 6-speed and HIDs worth 5K ... it was a easy answer ....NO ... not for me at least
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
The 6spd felt a little short, gear wise, so getting around town is probably a little bit more hectic. But I would assume that it gets better gas mileage on a highway cruise!!

Is the 6spd that much better than the 5spd?? Does the aluminum roof, hollow cams, and slightly lighter wheels make the difference?? Or is the MR simply just for exclusivity and wow factor?? Thanks!!!
I believe this was a placebo effect based off pre-conceived notions that were false. The IX 5spd was revamped so that the first 4 gears are shortened compared to the previous 5spds, which makes the first 4 gears almost identical to the 6spd, so you wouldn't have felt this "shorter gear" phenomenon unless you were referring to 5th gear. 4th gear in the IX and MR is only one MPH off, but then the IX has only one gear to go from 110 to 160 while the MR has one for 110-130 and another for 130+.

All the IXs have the same cams, but the MR will give you significantly lighter rims (not slightly - almost 3lbs per rim, which is a lot), lower center of gravity with the aluminum roof, an extra gear to use when road racing, HIDs, and the Bilstein shocks. I prefer the MR, but I wouldn't fault you for getting a IX as long as you don't mind the non-HIDs (can be upgraded, btw).
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by M3this
I was in the same boat as you ... debating on th MR or the reg GSR ... I went with the GSR. Reason being is that 1) I plan on getting new wheels (actually have already ordered them .. so could careless about the stock wheels) 2) I'm getting new suspension (so no use for the bilstens 3) Gettting beter guages ... So for me it basiclly came down to ... is the 6-speed and HIDs worth 5K ... it was a easy answer ....NO ... not for me at least
you finally did it did you already announce this?

back on topic... with what you just said the GSR is more for you imo
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I believe this was a placebo effect based off pre-conceived notions that were false. The IX 5spd was revamped so that the first 4 gears are shortened compared to the previous 5spds, which makes the first 4 gears almost identical to the 6spd, so you wouldn't have felt this "shorter gear" phenomenon unless you were referring to 5th gear. 4th gear in the IX and MR is only one MPH off, but then the IX has only one gear to go from 110 to 160 while the MR has one for 110-130 and another for 130+.

All the IXs have the same cams, but the MR will give you significantly lighter rims (not slightly - almost 3lbs per rim, which is a lot), lower center of gravity with the aluminum roof, an extra gear to use when road racing, HIDs, and the Bilstein shocks. I prefer the MR, but I wouldn't fault you for getting a IX as long as you don't mind the non-HIDs (can be upgraded, btw).
Sorry if i mistated anything, I was told the cams are hollow in the MR, but was unaware that they were also in the GSR. I drove the MR before I got a chance to drive the IX, and it's probably the 2nd 6spd, I've ever driven. So, more than likely it was the fact that I wasn't used to the 6spd at all that threw me off a little. I did notice that the gearing in the GSR 5spd was really short. Top gear at 60 was like 2800 RPM, considering my car is like 2300, and my brother's WRX about the same, that felt really high. But the powerband felt great, and I never really realized how fast EVOs are!!!!
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
didnt announce it yet ... wanted to get it in hand befor I did .... LOL .... should pick it up this weekend at South Coast Mitsu

=)
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

didnt announce it yet ... wanted to get it in hand befor I did .... LOL .... should pick it up this weekend at South Coast Mitsu

=)
damn that means you got a better deal than me at least I paid under MSRP this time. pm me info on what wheels and color evo your getting.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Get IX wit 5sp and u will love it.. and MIVEC kickass! more power
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Get the IX!!!
You won't be sorry.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in the same boat as you ... debating on th MR or the reg GSR ...
gsr is in japan

it all boils down to whether or not you want a 5 speed ot a 6 speed. leather or the alacantra
Old Jan 23, 2006, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can't go wrong on MR, GSR or RS...

Goodluck!
Old Jan 23, 2006, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

MR has better resale which is something to consider unless you drive it into the ground.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 07:42 AM

Man, i'm an idiot too with the fwd srt-4, looking to pawn it off and get an evo because this snow season SUCKED! Trying to figure out what would be best, thinking a modded 03-04 would be even better money wise than a new MR...?

Quick Reply: Regular IX or MR???