Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Launched the car...Almost freaked!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Launched the car...Almost freaked!!

So I was trying to do a right turn onto a stupid Miami road. No one has courtesy and if you don't sneak in, you never get anywhere. I was just moving the gas pedal a bit....Getting the revs up so I don't have that boggy first hundred or so RPM's of first. Well, I guess I revved too high and slipped the clutch a touch...DEAR LORD! The car shot like a slingshot! My kids were like "Do it again pop!" I was acting cool outside but inside...Whoa! Definitely a nice feeling with that AWD and that snail.

Anyway...Just thought I would share.

Kris
Old Jan 23, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Gotta love the AWD
Old Jan 23, 2006, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

lol. You're making me happy I'm getting one. =D
Old Jan 23, 2006, 03:54 PM

I never launched my EVO, it crankwalked before I had the chance. Mitsu put a new motor in after 13 weeks of arguing, then I drove it across the street and traded it in for an STi... I remember when I launched my GSX after putting in the ACT 2600. That was good stuff.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by [pK]Lightning
I never launched my EVO, it crankwalked before I had the chance. Mitsu put a new motor in after 13 weeks of arguing, then I drove it across the street and traded it in for an STi... I remember when I launched my GSX after putting in the ACT 2600. That was good stuff.
You sure it was crankwalk? You'd be the first documented case that I've seen. Could you give us the details in another thread, or have you already explained this in detail before?

Kr1s, I guess I take it for granted that everyone knows how it feels, since I've been doing the AWD turbo thing for 8 years now. It's amusing to read about our new Evo owneers actually using their AWD for once and seeing what it can do. Wait until you do it on purpose!

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jan 23, 2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by [pK]Lightning
I never launched my EVO, it crankwalked before I had the chance. Mitsu put a new motor in after 13 weeks of arguing, then I drove it across the street and traded it in for an STi...
LOL, you're like Debbie Downer from SNL:

Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
LOL, you're like Debbie Downer from SNL:

omg
Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:44 PM
cmz

^^ rofl
Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol. Yeah, I remember when I got mine it was the first AWD or turbo car that I had ever owned. Just for the heck of it I pulled over in a rest stop and launched it getting back on the interstate and I think I almost blacked out! It was unlike anything I had ever experienced outside an amusement park. I gues you do kinda take it for granted once you've had it for awhile. Oh well it will be like driving it for the first time again after the winter garaging is over. Is it spring yet?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Hehe, that's funny... I'd freak if my auto Lancer launched!
Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Nice! The first time I launched mine was by accident as well. I had 3 other people in the car and put the car sideways pulling out of a local gas station. I was amazed at how fast I was able to regain control.

Good stuff
Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justchil
Nice! The first time I launched mine was by accident as well. I had 3 other people in the car and put the car sideways pulling out of a local gas station. I was amazed at how fast I was able to regain control.

Good stuff
exact same happened to me. I was like "I meant to do that to demonstrate how well the Evo can regain control"
Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Thats good stuff man, the first time I launched my evo was with my cousin who at the time had a vette and the funny thing is he traded his car in for a evo two weeks later.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

It was weird. My buddy/engine builder/killer driver showed me a video of HIM racing MY SRT-4 after he tuned it and I couldn't go to the track because of class. Well he lined up against an Evo who said he would "whoop dat a$$". The Evo was built pretty stout...

Nonetheless, I loved the SRT...The video started of Pablo turning the huge 26" M/H racemasters through the waterbox. Atmospheric wastegate dump under the car shooting a HUGE fireball out under the car. Evo stages....Pablo stages...Evo pegs the rev limiter and ready to take off...Tree lights up and it is on. Pablo JUMPS the Evo which I was surprised about and the 1-2 shift delivers about 2 foot of flame from the side exit exhaust of the SRT-4. Ended up beating the Evo with a 12.1 @ 124 with spin through 3 gears ON SLICKS! What a fun car. I loved playing with it...But the Evo threw me for a loop today with the launch! Kids are still freaking!

Kris
Old Jan 23, 2006, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

i still havent truly launched my beast yet, but i want to once it gets warmer, like in the summer