Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

About to buy an Evo @ auction - need some help - possible problem with one...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to buy an Evo @ auction - need some help - possible problem with one...

So - there are two at the dealers auction today - both 2005s. A Red one with sunroof / leather with 18,200 miles and a silver one, just keyless entry with 22,200 miles. I've got a good friend at a dealer that pulled their info for me. The Red one has had an oil pump replaced. Is that a normal fix? I'm wondering if it shows excessive wear and tear... I've got the name of the dealer (Kendall) and will give them a call to see if they can give me a rough idea of the service records.

Crossing my fingers - Red isn't my first choice but it's got the desired options (maybe even HIDs...) I want....

Thanks in advance - looking to become a part of the family today.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
It had an oil pump replaced and it only has 18000. That should throw a red flag. No thats not a normal fix at all. Why was it replaced? What did it mess up? ie not pumping oil. If it was me I would not buy that one.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

just out of curiousity...how much $$$ are those evo's? special auction price?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Update - it has an aftermarket exhaust (quite a loud one) that I'd want to change out for a more closer-to-stock one. It's also missing the airbox shroud (according to my friend at the auction). It's got 18k miles on it and the F and R brake pads are about 1/8". It's an SSL...

I called the dealer and it was the PS pump - not the oil pump - according to them.

Auction price is 22-23k btw.

Opinions?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 06:53 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Schuyler
Update - it has an aftermarket exhaust (quite a loud one) that I'd want to change out for a more closer-to-stock one. It's also missing the airbox shroud (according to my friend at the auction). It's got 18k miles on it and the F and R brake pads are about 1/8". It's an SSL...

I called the dealer and it was the PS pump - not the oil pump - according to them.

Auction price is 22-23k btw.

Opinions?
If it's SSL then, yes, it has HIDs. Most common cause for PS pump to go out is people doing donuts. Seriously.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UFO
If it's SSL then, yes, it has HIDs. Most common cause for PS pump to go out is people doing donuts. Seriously.
Thanks for the info - I told the auction guy to go no higher then 23.5k. Wish me luck. I may have an exhaust for sale soon. :d
Old Jan 24, 2006, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GOOD LUCK! Should tell him 22.5Grand but good luck. I dont know about the PS replacement. I use to do donuts but my PS pump is still strong. Could of been just a bad PS pump.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
GOOD LUCK! Should tell him 22.5Grand but good luck. I dont know about the PS replacement. I use to do donuts but my PS pump is still strong. Could of been just a bad PS pump.
Doing donuts while locking the wheel in either direction has been known to cause premature pump death but it hasnt happened to me. Of coarse I also havent done any donuts.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by NoTec
Doing donuts while locking the wheel in either direction has been known to cause premature pump death but it hasnt happened to me. Of coarse I also havent done any donuts.
Ah... maybe I didnt do enough donuts. Well thats great oh BTW in @ 78,XXX Miles if that makes any difference.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

good luck with your bidding, hope you win
Old Jan 24, 2006, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah good luck man. If you win, treat 'em nice.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Dammit, if you win, take your car to the most reputable dealer or a performance shop that knows these cars well to have them perform an evaluation before you start modding like crazy. If alls good, mod away!
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Check the vins w/dealer and make sure they still have warranty.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3deep
Check the vins w/dealer and make sure they still have warranty.
i think his friend at the dealer would have already done this when he was going through the records as stated in the first post. I would be more concerned about the car being near or around New Oleans during last september.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
i think his friend at the dealer would have already done this when he was going through the records as stated in the first post. I would be more concerned about the car being near or around New Oleans during last september.
You are correct - I also called the dealer where he bought it in Miami, FL and asked them about it. Both were pretty clean - he did the downpipe, b-pipe, exhaust, intake and maybe suspension, but tirewear looks very even. Warranty is good to go too. Thanks for the good wishes - will know near 1-ish.

<-- really eager to get the dang Evo.