Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What does evo have that lancer doesnt?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UT_Evo
The windows are lightweight glass too, don't forget that one, its the reason it takes so long to get our windshields replaced

Really I did not know that. Thanks

And for the people that think this thread is pointless please don't participate. I have no intention of converting a lancer to an Evo, I just want to know as much as I can about my car.

Does somebody know if the handbrake is hydraulic, or cable?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:04 PM

The Evo actually have a wider, more aggressive body. I found that out after staring at this base Lancer for a longer time and the owner thought I was going to steal his car. Then he got this funny look on his face when I drove away.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

alright, the next person that posts something stupid or off topic will be on instant time out. there is no reason why i should have to clean 20 posts because of one question. if you think that this topic is stupid than guess what....

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO POST!
Old Jan 24, 2006, 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
basicaly the only common things are the emblems and a/c knobs
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my friend has one and they just dont look like the same car other than the body shape
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:08 PM

weird question
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

the paint might be the same, but im not sure ABOUT THAT EITHER.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

by the way lancers are four lug.. a girlfriend of mine needed a spare yesterday on her lancer so i offered mine up for the time being thinking it wouldnt be an issue. turns out it was
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

How about a 4g63?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by coco
What does the Evolution have, performance related, that the Lancer doesn’t? Aside from Drivetrain, Engine, and Cosmetics? Is the suspension geometry the same? What does the Evo have that cannot be added (bolt-on) to the Lancer?

Please add whatever I missed. thanks

Aluminum Hood/Fender/ Roof (some models)
More Welds in the body (dunno exactly how many, anyone know?, and where are they)
Hydraulic Handbrake (I believe the evo 6 had them, does the 8/9 have them)
there is a breakdown in the March '06 issue of Sport Compact Car. don't forget the floor is different due to the driveshaft & rear end. the evo's are stiffened up considerably & the motors come from Kyoto.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

The two share very little in common, mostly dashboard and some interior bits; you cannot just bolt on Evo parts on a regular lancer. The suspension is not similar, nor is the material used on the suspension.

Interesting question...
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

If your trying to "convert" a lancer to and Evo it would be a lot cheaper to just buy a used RS or something and probably a whole lot more reliable, just my $.02
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

I thought the cars only shared one part.. and that was the roof on the standard models ( not the aluminum ones.. they are 100% different) Considering the cars are made on two different continents there really is nothing the same.. Its not like comparing a mustang with a cobra..
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
The rear subframe is different, so you can't just bolt everything on without doing some cutting and welding. Much in the way a GSX is different from a GS-T. IF you pick up this month's SCC, there is a sidebar called "Where Evos Come From" that is part of the Evo X coverage. They sound very disapointed in how similar Evos are built compared to regular Lancers.
For once GPTourer and i are in agreement

Anyway, you need to conduct major surgery around the passenger seat area to get the awd system in there.

Also, MR's and I think all IX's have aluminium roof and you certainly cannot bolt that on.

For the bits that DO bolt on, you have the steering rack and virtually all the suspension members that are not the same. I believe the lower wishbones on the Lancer are steel while they are Al in the Evo. The joints on the evo lower wishbones are also much larger (and actually proper ball joints) than the ones on the lancer.

Brake system, I think are also different. i'm not talking about just the calipers and discs. The parking (emergency) brakes are different and the ABS system on evo's are more sophisticated - with sports ABS.

It's not impossible to make a Lancer 99% like an evo, but for most the costs involved would be more than getting an evo in the first place, cos you'll need a donor evo to start with!
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bdking57
Considering the cars are made on two different continents there really is nothing the same.. Its not like comparing a mustang with a cobra..
No they aren't. All Lancers come from the same plant.

Quick Reply: What does evo have that lancer doesnt?