Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What does evo have that lancer doesnt?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
omg are you kidding with this
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

there's that dealer instructional video on SoCalEvo's website. They talk about the differences in the welds of the structure and chassis rigidity. It's a huge difference in the body structure that you def can't bolt on.

BTW, is the lancer chassis still CT9A? - I can't imagine it being designated the same b/c of the difference in the chassis production.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

the whole entire car is different, I hate when people tell me that my EVO is an upgraded lancer. I choose not to put by EVO in the same class as a lancer. Difference is lancer's are built in the U.S.A. and all the EVO's are built in Japan.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Gsxfury
the whole entire car is different, I hate when people tell me that my EVO is an upgraded lancer. I choose not to put by EVO in the same class as a lancer. Difference is lancer's are built in the U.S.A. and all the EVO's are built in Japan.
You really don't know how stupid and ignorant you sound. Your information is absolutely wrong and negative. I suggest you "subscribe" to this thread and learn more info on the evolution and base lancer model.

Originally Posted by bdking57
Considering the cars are made on two different continents
You have no idea what your talking about, so I suggest that you "subscribe" to this thread and learn more about the evolution and base lancer model aswell, but until than please don't replay again.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsxfury
Where do you guy's get this stuff from? Maybe if you read the threads you post in you'd have some clue.

ALL LANCERS COME FROM THE SAME PLANT IN JAPAN.

Originally Posted by mdosu
BTW, is the lancer chassis still CT9A? - I can't imagine it being designated the same b/c of the difference in the chassis production.
'05-06 Lancer ES is CS6A
~'06 Lancer Raliart is CS7A

Last edited by GPTourer; Jan 26, 2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by coco
Really I did not know that. Thanks

And for the people that think this thread is pointless please don't participate. I have no intention of converting a lancer to an Evo, I just want to know as much as I can about my car.

Does somebody know if the handbrake is hydraulic, or cable?
Handbrake is cable. Always has been.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Besides the welds I think you could bolt everything into it. DRIVETRAIN, Intercooler, Bumpers, fenders, Intrument cluster, wing, Brakes, wheels, seats, headlights, tailights, rear window with wiper, hood, trunk lid, windshield, steering wheel Thats all I could think of. Just buy an Evo. To build one from a lancer would be like this guy doing this>
or maybe it'd be genious! hmm evo powered lancer...
Old Jan 26, 2006, 04:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mdosu
there's that dealer instructional video on SoCalEvo's website. They talk about the differences in the welds of the structure and chassis rigidity. It's a huge difference in the body structure that you def can't bolt on.

If I am not mistaken, the Lancer's chassis code is CS5W (production dates 11/2000 to 1/2003, then changes to CS6 thereafter. Completely different chassis altogether from the CT9A. although there is a similarity visually, it's only skin deep.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Side-by-side visual comparo:

Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:52 AM

Listen to Arithmetic, and GPTourer. My lowly Ralliart's VIN# starts with a "J", J = Japan. The 11th character in my lowly Ralliart's VIN# is a "U", U = Mizushima.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PurgeIt
Completely different chassis altogether from the CT9A. although there is a similarity visually, it's only skin deep.
But its really not. Again, they may have different codes, but there are a lot more similarities then you think. Like my Eclipse is a D32A and a GSX is D33A. I think they (Lancer and Evo) are more alike then different, but I don't really care, it doesn't keep me up at night worrying that all I have is a dressed up Lancer. Or what other people think about it, I just uderstand the fact that manufacturers have to do all they can to make production easier and as cheap as possible, and this means the chassis start life the same and things differ maybe halfway through production, two-thirds, whatever. The bare chassis probably only differs in the rear subframe, then the bolt on the different fenders so the drivetrain can fit, and then do all the spot welds.

The same thing probably applies when an M3 comes down the line alongside a regular 3 series. Or a Shelby GT500 next to a V6 'Stang coupe.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jan 26, 2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
Side-by-side visual comparo:

good job man. evos are bigger and wider. by the way, evos evolve, lancers don't
seriously a biggg difference, but i don't know what, i just know it is big
Old Jan 26, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

The have the same first name.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bdking57
I thought the cars only shared one part.. and that was the roof on the standard models ( not the aluminum ones.. they are 100% different) Considering the cars are made on two different continents there really is nothing the same.. Its not like comparing a mustang with a cobra..
Ummm, Mustang=solid rear axel ... Cobra=IRS ... not really the same there either.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry for this late post. I was at the garage and asked the guy about the differences, not the bolt on stuff, but the structural.

He said that there were lots unfortunately I cant remember them all (and lots were already mentioned here like length, width, lower etc), but I do recall he mentioned about the frame and the floor. Something about the frame being modulized with both front and back subframes and that the floor carries a drive shaft tunnel (similar to that of a RWD car).

Quick Reply: What does evo have that lancer doesnt?