Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What does evo have that lancer doesnt?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does evo have that lancer doesnt?

What does the Evolution have, performance related, that the Lancer doesn’t? Aside from Drivetrain, Engine, and Cosmetics? Is the suspension geometry the same? What does the Evo have that cannot be added (bolt-on) to the Lancer?

Please add whatever I missed. thanks

Aluminum Hood/Fender/ Roof (some models)
More Welds in the body (dunno exactly how many, anyone know?, and where are they)
Hydraulic Handbrake (I believe the evo 6 had them, does the 8/9 have them)

And NO I am not trying to convert a Lancer to an Evo, I just want to know more about my car.

Last edited by coco; Jan 25, 2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Instead of asking what is different, maybe you should ask what's the same.

Performance wise, I can't think of anything that they share.

Last edited by blonde; Jan 24, 2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

lol...this post if funny...but the evo does have a few hundred more structural welds to make it more ridgid!
Old Jan 24, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Ok if nobody know what they are talking about please dont bother posting. I used to know exactly how many welds there were and where they were placed though lost the info on that.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont think this guy was trying to ask a stupid question... Honestly I would like to know the structural differneces between the two... I know the differences are huge,b ut what exactly are they... as far as bolting evo goodies on a regular lancer... I think that would be way to much work and lots of custom fabbing... might as well buy an evo in the first place. I'm seriousl ppl, u guys need to stop flaming... this is a legit question that deserves a legit answer (one of many threads here like this) this forum has really gone to ****.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Besides the welds I think you could bolt everything into it. DRIVETRAIN, Intercooler, Bumpers, fenders, Intrument cluster, wing, Brakes, wheels, seats, headlights, tailights, rear window with wiper, hood, trunk lid, windshield, steering wheel Thats all I could think of. Just buy an Evo. To build one from a lancer would be like this guy doing this>
Old Jan 24, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's pretty legitimate as well, I've wondered about this before as well....
Old Jan 24, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Besides the welds I think you could bolt everything into it. DRIVETRAIN, Intercooler, Bumpers, fenders, Intrument cluster, wing, Brakes, wheels, seats, headlights, tailights, rear window with wiper, hood, trunk lid, windshield, steering wheel Thats all I could think of. Just buy an Evo. To build one from a lancer would be like this guy doing this>

So the suspension geometry is the same. I belive the Evo uses Aluminum for certain parts in the suspension right?

Are they the exact same pieces in the Lancer though made out of a different material?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

The EVO has;
1 inch longer wheelbase (better high speed handling)
2 inches wider track (better for high speed turning)
1 inch lower roofline (better center of gravity)
Better wight distribution
Less steering wheel turn lock to lock (quicker turning response)
But, it is is 400 pounds heavier, even with all the aluminum.

And, most of all, me driving it!

Last edited by BMan; Jan 24, 2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The rear subframe is different, so you can't just bolt everything on without doing some cutting and welding. Much in the way a GSX is different from a GS-T. IF you pick up this month's SCC, there is a sidebar called "Where Evos Come From" that is part of the Evo X coverage. They sound very disapointed in how similar Evos are built compared to regular Lancers.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Ummm, yeah, that part about bolting everything up to a Lancer...Ummmm, noooo, not really. Evo's whole floor pan in the back...yeah that's TOTALLY different to accomodate the rear suspension and final drive. So there is a significant chunk of the drive train that won't bolt up.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

"what does evo have that lancer doesnt" (cringes at the grammar and punctuation)

how about this - instant respect.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

The dude has an EVO... It certainly is a strange question if you already have an EVO.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kwman
I was thinking that before I even clicked on the link.
I was thinking a soul....

200 more spot welds, aluminum suspension arms, different steering rack, radiator, oil cooler, roll bars, sub-frame braces, trunk brace(rs), pretty much everything

the lancer has the same dash, door panels, window glass, some other interior and pieces
Old Jan 24, 2006, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

The windows are lightweight glass too, don't forget that one, its the reason it takes so long to get our windshields replaced

Quick Reply: What does evo have that lancer doesnt?