Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lime Rock Track report

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2003, 11:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Claudius

Sounds to me as though you guys run too much camber in the rear.
We got down to .8 neg in the rear, what would you suggest?
Old Mar 28, 2003, 11:46 AM

WTZ, what shop did you get your EVO aligned. I'm located in NJ
Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2003, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

I WANT MY EVO!!!
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

great info here guys! it's great knowing that this board has some serious road-racers that us newbies can hit up for advice!
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the Evo already had brake ducts of sorts built into the undertray in front of the engine.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX
I thought the Evo already had brake ducts of sorts built into the undertray in front of the engine.
Do you still have the splash guards on the brakes? The judder is a common Evo 6-7 issue that still seems to be with us on the 8s. Two piece rotors or group N discs are probaly in order. Anything to improve the brake cooling will help of course.

Do the evo 8s not have the eccentric bolt in the front strut any more? On VIIs you can use it to add 1 degree of negitive front camber?

Erik
Old Mar 28, 2003, 01:59 PM
wtz
Evolving Member

The dust shields were removed from the front brakes, and yes the Evo VIII has eccentric camber bolts.
Cheers,
Old Mar 28, 2003, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX
There is only the beginnings of the brake cooling guides. For the factory finish, there is another wind deflector that attaches to you A-arm that guides the air to the caliper, which you have to buy from the dealer. Its still not as good as a full duct right up to the caliper, but it would definitly help.

Here's a pic of the beginnings of the guides. You can see where it would attach to the A-arm to guide it up to the caliper.

Brake Cooling Guides....look at the accessories...$150

Last edited by smanders; Mar 28, 2003 at 04:43 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 10:46 PM

I also just got the Evo. VIII three weeks ago, and have run four courses so far. The car handles excellent, and to me doesn't exhibit much understeer at all. If that really was the problem, people should try adjusting the tire pressure, as that tends to make a huge difference, especially when Mitsubishi techs tend to up it during servicing. However, in wtz's example, I got the impression that the surface was somewhat wet, and could have potentially been the cause. It is simply a fantastic car to drive in the sunshine though. Also, I tend to disagree with wtz in regard to the brakes, as I operated under heavy braking upwards of 130-50mph on some portions of the track, and did not experience any jittering. Perhaps, again, different track, different conditions. The car acts almost like it has traction control, and may be thrown into turns haphazardly, and still not spin. Additionally, during a heavy S series, the car will set almost instanteneously. For the most part, wtz is right on the money. I will soon be posting a link to a video pretty soon of my first time out at Thunderhill in CA, so people may see what it's like from 1st person.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 06:02 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Hi All,
For what it's worth, my rotors seem back to normal after cooling down for a day. Of course, I was unable to test them as hard as at the track. My guess is this is not the end of this problem. Also examined my tire wear more closely. On the inside edges of the Hoosiers there is a solid 2 inches of tire that looks pristine. This is front and rear. I will get tire temps next time out to confirm but it looks to me like the car may need more negative camber at both ends.
Cheers,
Old Mar 29, 2003, 06:13 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Hi Claudius,
While you're here, what do you hear about Bradi Grp. N discs? Know anyone who has installed brembo ceramic caliper pistons in the stock caliper? I found these on the Ralliart Spain website. The tires I am running are only available in 225 and 245 widths.
Cheers,

Quick Reply: Lime Rock Track report