Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lime Rock Track report

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2003, 06:32 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Claudius,
The caliper pistons looked interesting to me just to keep brake fluid temps down. They are, however freaking expensive. I could probably get a shop to make me up some titanium spacers to fit behind the brake pads for this purpose. The knock-back springs you are referring to worry me due to the potential for brake drag. Anything that I can get away with (must appear stock) to keep the front brakes cooler will be a big plus.
Cheers,
Old Mar 29, 2003, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by wtz
Hi Claudius,
The caliper pistons looked interesting to me just to keep brake fluid temps down. They are, however freaking expensive. I could probably get a shop to make me up some titanium spacers to fit behind the brake pads for this purpose. The knock-back springs you are referring to worry me due to the potential for brake drag. Anything that I can get away with (must appear stock) to keep the front brakes cooler will be a big plus.
Cheers,
There is a company in Japan (Jspeed I think) that make a titanium pistons. Depending on the rules for t2 a brake fluid recirculator would help too.

Erik
Old Mar 29, 2003, 01:15 PM
wtz
Evolving Member

Hi Erik,
I don't think that was the correct company for titanium caliper pistons for the Evo. I sure would be interested if you remember the company or URL.
Cheers,
Old Mar 29, 2003, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be in Singapore next week so I will look them up over there. KBC is the company. The web site is www.s-kbc.com and is pretty useless.

Erik

Last edited by erikgj; Mar 29, 2003 at 04:48 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 06:01 PM
wtz
Evolving Member

You are the man.
Thanks,
Old Mar 31, 2003, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey, wtz,

i'm doing a two-day event at VIR in late april. I've got Kuhmo ecsta v700s shaved in 235/40-17, so I think tires will be ok...but where can I get brake pads that will do the job? Dan at Mach V said he thought the factory pads would be ok for the event, due to the rotor&caliper size. Does that sound feasible? I'm coming from a Contour SVT that ate pads for lunch and don't want to get caught without stopping power. Dan seems to know alot about the Evo and I don't want to offend anyone since I'm new to the Evo crowd.
Thanks in advance!
Jason
Old Mar 31, 2003, 03:46 PM
wtz
Evolving Member

Hi Jason,
If you have to run the stock pads, at least put in some higher temp. brake fluid. As I stated in my post, I pre-ordered pads, ss lines etc. from Coordsport in the UK. I'm sure they can be sourced over here. Don't forget to put a good alignment on the car! Your factory settings are **** and probably don't even match up side to side. I maxed -front camber with a little toe out. Rear I set at -1 degrees with 0 toe.
Good Luck!
Old Mar 31, 2003, 09:08 PM

evos on the track

Great reporting on the evo at Lime Rock. 1.03's are very decent. I ran my evo 5 at Lime rock (both of them, the GSR and the RS) The RS recorded a decent mid 57's. This was totally set up of course with Track springs, 18x8" (which are for sale) wheels (that clear the Brembos) but the engine was stock except for Autronic ECU and runing 1.2 (required) Bar of boost, calculates around 330- hp. We ran the GSR transmission.

Your right about the height/spring combo, they need to come down and inch, at least, and a set of sport springs (Tein are good) will sort all that out. I ran an evo 7 and an evo 6 at SPA-Francorchamp, and the Nurburgring, we went with the Nurburgring balance for lime rock with the spring rates, but upped the ante a fair bit to stop the roll which was made worse by sticky tires.

I can offer some guidance to you guys setting up your evo 8's if you like, if you tell me what your trying to accomplish.

Jeff Denmeade
PS: I can't support street racing however. There are too many better, safer options out there to test yourself that are way safer. - JD
Old Mar 31, 2003, 09:52 PM
wtz
Evolving Member

Hi Jeff,
Let me begin by saying I'm not worried about the motor. From what I saw at Lime Rock based on the stock suspension of the Evo VIII, and looking at tread wear, the next changes I will make are to add .5 more negative camber to the rear bringing me to -1.5 degrees. In front, due to the strange stopsign-shape of the front eccentric camber bolts, I will replace them with a set of H&R bolts to extend the range. Front camber with the stock suspension looks to me like it's going to want about 2 degrees negative. A real front LSD vs the open diff I think would really help. I'm trying to experiment within what I think are going to be the rules I have to race this car under so bare with me if I don't talk about really trick stuff. My goal right now is to sort the suspension set-up and the brakes for the stock car. Can't believe how easy this car is to drive fast! Of course, I don't want to go searching for the limit in a DE do I? Anyway, The Evo is out of mind for the moment, First SCCA National at Summit Point coming this weekend. Still prepping the Boxster S.
Cheers,
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Jeff,
Agree with you on lowering the ride height, but not necessarily with Tein. What kind of spring rates are you running on the track?
Old Apr 1, 2003, 06:34 AM

Track spring rates

Well, remember we ran the car strictly for racing, so firstly we had coil over suspension so we could balance the car out, it only weighed about 2850lbs, and I think the Evo 8's are 4222lbs, so given that, we had 1100 lbs rates springs at the front and ran between 750, and 900 at the reart, depending what track we were at, I think Lime Rock we had 900's on the front. We remember, we were light, and being a Ralliart built car we had a fully seam welded chassis, and a proper seam welded in cage.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 06:47 AM

sorry, that's 900 at the rear.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 07:06 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Hi Jeff,
Stock Evo VIII weighs 3263.
Cheers,
Old Apr 1, 2003, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

4222lbs

lol
Old Apr 1, 2003, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by JasonS
hey, wtz,

i'm doing a two-day event at VIR in late april. I've got Kuhmo ecsta v700s shaved in 235/40-17, so I think tires will be ok...but where can I get brake pads that will do the job? Dan at Mach V said he thought the factory pads would be ok for the event, due to the rotor&caliper size. Does that sound feasible? I'm coming from a Contour SVT that ate pads for lunch and don't want to get caught without stopping power. Dan seems to know alot about the Evo and I don't want to offend anyone since I'm new to the Evo crowd.
Thanks in advance!
Jason
Too bad you won't be there this weekend. I would like to pass an evo! <g>

Sounds like you know what's up, but just thought I'd add that VIR can be tough on the brakes. I'd definitely try to find some racier pads, especially if you're going to run the r comps. Have fun.

Quick Reply: Lime Rock Track report