Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lime Rock Track report

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2004, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh yeah i boiled the fluid too (stock)
Old May 2, 2004, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you felt the same juddering I felt today it is not boiling oil. One of the instructors who wanted to drive my, car felt it too (was at the end of the day) His impression, pad transfer on the disk that became more grippy when it got hot. When I mentioned that I had been swapping pads because my wife didn't like the squeaks, he said that was a bad idea.
Does your juddering go away when the brakes cool? What the instructor said sounds reasonable but I am open to better interpretations.
Old May 2, 2004, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah my juddering stops when the brakes cool....I switched out my stock pads to a sport Project Mu pad. I never tracked the stock pads so i don;t know if the same thing would have happened once they warmed up. The project Mu pads are good for street and everything...low dusting, but i'm sure the low dusting translates into more heat as well. I think I am going to go for a full track pad next time. Unfortunately I have read that the uneven distribution of deposits also causes uneven heating...some of the hot spots can get so hot that the metal below the spot actually gets extremely hard...therefore making it near impossible to ever overcome the problem...without replacing rotors.

I'm pretty much convinced that I am going to need new front rotors, my mindset is now on how to prevent this in the future. I definitely need to improve cooling....but does this mean also that i am going to have to have a set of rotors specifically for the track and the track pads? I dunno...i'm open for suggestions from the more experienced people.
Old May 2, 2004, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

i did boil the fluid too.....it resulted in a very spongy pedal feel after the track session for awhile. I think i need dot 4 or 5...i don;t know what the stock fluid is.