Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

More power with a BC?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by k270kmh
However, you may need to adjust/remove the restrictor pill to achieve desired target boost with the stock boost solenoid and vacuum lines ...

Where is it located?
I believe in the vacuum hose that comes off of the stock boost control solenoid underneath the airbox which then T's and goes to the turbo and wastegate. I think there may be a pill in both lines after the T.

I have that hose sitting in the back of my car since I recently installed a MBC ... I should go take a look at it to confirm.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turd Squirter
The boost restrictor pill has been removed. I'm not sure what boost levels the car is running because the dyno chart doesn't have a plot for it and they didn't record it for me anyways.
What's your boost guage showing?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:22 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by joshd
What's your boost guage showing?
In 3rd and 4th gear I seem to be spiking to 23-24psi and holding 19-20psi to redline.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

In 3rd and 4th gear I seem to be spiking to 23-24psi and holding 19-20psi to redline.
Oh. Well ... not sure how accurate your guage is, but I really don't think you want to run any more boost than that on 91 octane! In fact that is kinda high already for **** gas ...
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Huh??? Was it spiking to 23-24psi during your dyno, or is this what you notice on your boost gauge. If it's just your gauge and your using the stock one, you should get an aftermarket boost gauge, they are more accurate. I do think a MBC will help, but I still am not sure why you are down on power so much when your boost is spiking to 23-24psi. You should be at 260-265WHP. Can you post your graph?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:32 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Huh??? Was it spiking to 23-24psi during your dyno, or is this what you notice on your boost gauge. If it's just your gauge and your using the stock one, you should get an aftermarket boost gauge, they are more accurate. I do think a MBC will help, but I still am not sure why you are down on power so much when your boost is spiking to 23-24psi. You should be at 260-265WHP. Can you post your graph?
Like I said earlier, boost was not plotted on the dyno graph. Those boost levels are just what I've seen on my Defi analog boost gauge.

Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

who cares what the dyno numbers read..its all subjective to the dyno. Its the increase from a baseline that you need to worry about.

Just for comparison.....I threw down 248whp on a dyno dynamics (intake and CBE)and then 227whp (intake and CBE) on a mustang dyno....although the local dyno here in vegas seems to have gone out of business.....so now I cant retest.....
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by althemean
who cares what the dyno numbers read..its all subjective to the dyno. Its the increase from a baseline that you need to worry about.

Just for comparison.....I threw down 248whp on a dyno dynamics (intake and CBE)and then 227whp (intake and CBE) on a mustang dyno....although the local dyno here in vegas seems to have gone out of business.....so now I cant retest.....
Yeah, the thing is his gains over stock don't look great, and we have a good idea of what similar cars do on that specific dyno ... so that paints a picture that isn't too hot in this case.

I hate to really comment on other people's plots (OPP? ) without knowing the whole story, but something is definitely up. Spoolup seems delayed compared to a properly working car and the hp dies up top prematurely when it should continue upward.

On those two points, compare to this graph, which is a bone stock IX with only MBC + flash (stock exhaust!). This is a high reading Mustang dyno, so the absolute numbers aren't significant, but the shape of the curves are, as well as the fact that that it gained ~50whp/50wtq over baseline with just the flash and MBC:

Mike obviously knows what he's talking about, maybe he's not off base regarding the cat failure or some other similar problem with the stock system? It definitely doesn't look right ...

edit: i know this is a IX comparing to an VIII, but still the points are valid i think ... it's definitely choked up top and spoolup seems slower than other VIIIs as well

Last edited by joshd; Jan 26, 2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

that is impressive for a IX. Where does he say his orginal whp #? Did I miss it somewhere?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by althemean
that is impressive for a IX. Where does he say his orginal whp #? Did I miss it somewhere?
Sorry, my bone stock IX dynoed 2 weeks prior on that same dyno at 252whp/244wtq. Not the exact same car, but both are IXs, bought on the same day even! Baseline differences shouldn't be too far off I wouldn't think?

Old Jan 26, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

throw in a ebc or mbc and try a different dyno. that should show a difference. also i was once at a dyno here in south florida and for some reason all the cars especially a friends turboed hatch recieved very low numbers. the up coming week i was told this place was being sued for "rigging" their dyno to show low numbers so the people dynoing their would end up paying for a dnyo tune and other work. im not saying this is the case for you but you never know.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joshd
Sorry, my bone stock IX dynoed 2 weeks prior on that same dyno at 252whp/244wtq. Not the exact same car, but both are IXs, bought on the same day even! Baseline differences shouldn't be too far off I wouldn't think?
I thought this guy had an 05 RS. Not a 9
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, can't compare apples and oranges. IX to an VIII, just not the same...
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mookie
Yeah, can't compare apples and oranges. IX to an VIII, just not the same...
Agreed, sorry about that. Still the shape of the graph looks off even comparing to other VIIIs with the same mods (which i should have done, sorry) in terms of spoolup and top end hp. It does appear choked up for some reason IMHO.

And boost is boost in my book. Yes the MBC might possibly allow for quicker spool and less boost taper, but if the reported boost levels are accurate, it shouldn't matter in terms of power output if that boost is controlled with MBC/EBC/ECU ...

Last edited by joshd; Jan 27, 2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 01:56 AM

Hmm... I've got close to the same mods as you. It does seem a bit short. I have Megan TBe w/ Helix HFC. HKS RS Intake, and a P2 flash. This is from the Gruppe-S Dyno. According to Gruppe-S, a stock 05 Evo will dyno between 210-215hp for reference.

Last edited by Liquid-R1; Jan 28, 2006 at 01:59 AM.

Quick Reply: More power with a BC?