Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Preventing my EVO from getting stolen...bro's S2K almost got stolen last night

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Preventing my EVO from getting stolen...bro's S2K almost got stolen last night

Hello everyone,

we all know its a sad time we live in. You cant have anything nice anymore w/o fearing some low-life will steal your car.

Anyhow, my bro's modded and slammed S2K amost got stolen last night from in front of our house at 2:30am. Some young guys pulled up in a late model Range Rover with tinted windows, parked close to the car, one guy got out and started looking inside. My bro heard all the noise and commotion, woke up, turned on the lights and those kids immediately took off down the block.

The thing is that my bros bedroom is in front of the house. He hears and sees everything/everyone that passes by in front of the house. So I guess he's lucky.

Anyhow, back to the story, around 4am the guys came back again but this time in a Nissan/Infinity SUV with tints. They drove down my block going the wrong way....checked out the car and took off down another street towards the nearest highway which is less than 5 minutes away....(in my mind the perfect escape route to Long Island or to Brooklyn, NY.)

My concern now is how do we go about making our cars hard to steal??

I spoke to a buddy of mine who used to steal cars for a living back in the 70's and 80's and he suggested making a kill switch, and putting whatever locks you can.
He also told me that most theives prefer to steal a car in less than 30 seconds... 30 seconds or more they then fear getting caught.

As for my EVO I have it parked away in the garage in my back yard. I also have it chained with a think motorcycle chain to my motorcycle...plus I have two other cars blocking the garage...

Anyhow, please share your experiences...
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just get a 45 and wait for them to try stealing your car. Then shoot them in the leg. Nah jk, really a good way is to have a good alarm with a kill switch. Immobilizer+kill switch will add more security. Another way is to have more siren added to your car along with the one that usually comes with any alarm. That way if your alarm goes off, it will wake somebody up. But really if they want to steal your car they will or if they cant they will vandalize it. As long as your car is block by other cars, why even sweat it that much.

Last edited by evo_rc; Jan 25, 2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow that really sucks, try to chain your bro's car to the House that way if they try to steal it you would know.
The best way to prevent them from steling your car from your house is to install motion sensor lights they will get freak if they get close and the light turns on.

Last edited by su37su; Jan 25, 2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

A killswitch is good. Not sure if this works or not, (and may be a pain in the ***) but what about pulling one of the fuses from the fuse box, such as for the starter or alternator.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well, they shouldn't start without the key since it has a coded microchip in it matched specifically to your evos ECU, so i wouldn't worry. however, just like locking your door, it will only keep honest thieves out, there's always a way, that's what insurance is for. i once had my 529whp civic stolen from a performance shop when it was broken into, it was recoverd, with a blown motor and stripped of about $6000 worth of parts, but insurance took care of it. my insurance company lets you purchase up to $5000 worth of aftermarket additional coverage that i'm glad i had or i would've lost big time.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_rc
Just get a 45 and wait for them to try stealing your car. Then shoot them in the leg. Nah jk, really a good way is to have a good alarm with a kill switch. Immobilizer+kill switch will add more security. But really if they want to steal your car they will or if they cant they will vandalize it. As long as your car is block by other cars, why even sweat it that much.

Yeah I live in a house with a one car garage. My EVO stays there, but I'm concerned for his S2K. He told me that his car would be impossible to steal since it needs a key with a proper chip in it to get the motor started. I'm thinking anyone can hotwire a car and be gone in a matter of moments.

Anyhow I gave him my autolock so that he can secure it around the clutch pedal....

We are even thinking of parking the car at different locations a few times durinng the week, since we have friends in the neighborhood that have backyards and long driveways etc. who have offered to put up shelter for the car...

The other alternative is to find an underground/indoor garage parking spot that we can rent our for like $100-$150 per month. At least these garages have a 24 hour attendant, and are climate controlled.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by su37su
wow that really sucks, try to chain your bro's car to the House that way if they try to steal it you would know.
The best way to prevent them from steling your car from your house is to install motion sensor lights they will get freak if they get close and the light turns on.

yeah thats a good idea, as a matter of fact one of my neighbors has a motion sensor set up in front of their house in a way that when someone walks on their sidewalk, an alarm goes off.....the alarm doesnt blare and make me deaf but its loud enough to let the owners know someone is in front of the house
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

The only thing they could do is push it into the middle of the street and tow it. One of my friend's ex's had that happen to her with her new Civic SI.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

that sucks, i thought about how to make my car secure, and i came up w/ something, if you've got an aem ems, you can always switch over to a map that wont make the car start, and leave it like that at night, and when you go turn it on the next day, just upload the good map
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hondafan
well, they shouldn't start without the key since it has a coded microchip in it matched specifically to your evos ECU, so i wouldn't worry. however, just like locking your door, it will only keep honest thieves out, there's always a way, that's what insurance is for. i once had my 529whp civic stolen from a performance shop when it was broken into, it was recoverd, with a blown motor and stripped of about $6000 worth of parts, but insurance took care of it. my insurance company lets you purchase up to $5000 worth of aftermarket additional coverage that i'm glad i had or i would've lost big time.

dang man, they went as far as blowing the motor too??? dang..
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sne2040
The only thing they could do is push it into the middle of the street and tow it. One of my friend's ex's had that happen to her with her new Civic SI.

I think towing would be tough since the car is really slammed to the ground.... If they do tow it, the rear bumper or exhaust will be dragging on the ground...

On the other hand they could flatbed the car too, but I think the whole neighborhood would wake up if there was a flatbed in front of the house
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

dude if you dont know without the key to the car the car will start after a min or so if will die out the olny way they could take it is if they put it on a town truck. what is it they dont tell you at the dealer when you buy the car and if they do jack the car they need alot of hi tect stuff to bypass the many codes that are needed to start the car.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ahh just buy a dog! or hell you can have mine!
she barks at everything and anything that walks by, even birds that sit on the power pole
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Best way to try to prevent your car from getting stolen is a good alarm with a Bunch of Accessories.

Hood and Trunk Pins (not the ones that hold ur hood down). 4 all together. One on each side of the trunk and hood. Have the shop wire it so that if one pin is held down by thieves, the other one will still trip the alarm. The Hood closes down ont he pins and when the hood pops, the pin pops too and alarm goes off. If you have Subs or stuff Valuble in the trunk, then get it for the trunk also.

Proximity sensor. If anyone comes in range of the car, it goes off. (annoying when parking in a parking lot though.

Tilt sensor. If someone decides to take just your rims, the alarm will go off when jacked up.

Back up battery. not sure how it works. Thinking maybe when the wires are cut or when the battery is disconntected...
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Have you ever seen the begining of "American History X"? that makes things hard to steal

Quick Reply: Preventing my EVO from getting stolen...bro's S2K almost got stolen last night