Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Winding Road: Z06 vs. Evo IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Why are you suprised? An evo has way better corning ability than a primitive Z06. This comparison was made because of the EVO's handling ability, not straightline performance.

where do you get this from? as far as i've seen, a z06 will outhandle and out-everything an evo in every performance category.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ I Think you and everybody is really missing the point of the article. We all know the Z06 is a bad *** car, it should be at $70K (but for what it offers, it is a great bang for the buck). The point is how well the EVO compared to the Z06 as far as fun to drive and overall performance. Nobody is claiming a stock EVO is a better car than a stock C6 Z06, anybody who thinks that is smoking something. Still drive both cars back to back, it's still nice to read that even in comparison with a monster like a C6 Z06 the EVO is still a very enjoyable car to drive and that's what I believe the article was trying to point out.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I honestly doubt the Z06 will out handle the Evo in a track enviroment with an AVERAGE driver behind the wheel. All of that 500 hp will prove to be a hindrance not a help and the author noted that. Then just for fun lets put them both on rain tires and see who comes out on top. I dont know if you guys watch Best Motoring Vids or not but the Japanese were not too impressed with the Z06 Vette and its el cheapo interior and finish. Then they took it out and ragged on it at the track and the commentary was not as good as American magazines would make the Corvette out to be.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK this is quickly turning into a flame war. Who cares about the Z06 vs EVO. The fact of the matter is: On a road course, the EVO would either beat the Z06, or be close behind it, and the Evo costs about half as much. The Z06 might be an awesome car, and it might be able to destroy the stock evo on the dragstrip, but its handling is VERY comparable to that of the EVO. End of story. Lets not do the whole Japanese vs. American battle. Each car has it's own capabilities, and lets not forget this is an EVO forum, so expect a bias. Me personally? I think the Z06 is overpriced and overweight (although I think the EVO is overweight as well) however if offered to choose between the two (as a free gift) I would choose the Z06 (even though I hate American cars) just because it is worth more, and would generally be a pimp car to drive around. Although if I were offered to pick between these two cars to race on a road course (such as in my favorite game:grand turismo 4), I would pick the EVO 8, simply because I think the EVO is much easier to navigate around turns and exits corners way faster than any RWD car could ever hope for. Which car is better? Its only a matter of opinion, and the popular opinion here seems to be for the EVO (what a suprise).
Old Jan 26, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

I give up.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 07:31 PM
Account Disabled

Z06=leaf spring suspension. What is that thats what they had on covered wagons in 1750.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
I dont know if you guys watch Best Motoring Vids or not but the Japanese were not too impressed with the Z06 Vette and its el cheapo interior and finish.
unlike the evo's interior which is full of luxury and high quality plastics
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

3000ways, is right the article was just a opinion and the author thought the EVO was a fun car that "seemed" and "felt" almost as good as a Z06 some of the time.

Sonicnofadz, you're NUTS!! Take a gander at this SCCA will not allow the C6 Zo6 to run in a stock class! Why, because they already know it's going to dominate! Go look at Nurburgring or a dragstrip and the numbers speak for themselve. There is nothing more to debate the Z06 spanks everything under 200K!
Old Jan 27, 2006, 02:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
3000ways, is right the article was just a opinion and the author thought the EVO was a fun car that "seemed" and "felt" almost as good as a Z06 some of the time.

Sonicnofadz, you're NUTS!! Take a gander at this SCCA will not allow the C6 Zo6 to run in a stock class! Why, because they already know it's going to dominate! Go look at Nurburgring or a dragstrip and the numbers speak for themselve. There is nothing more to debate the Z06 spanks everything under 200K!
Everything under 200k except a modified EVO, which would destroy a stock Z06 in every single way possible (lets say a $20,000 evo with $10,00 worth of mods).
Old Jan 27, 2006, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

the only thing not too inviting w/ regards to the new C6 would be the inferior interior, but w/ the cost at $70K, I guess they would like to put the savings in that department...otherwise it would've cost way too much!! same thing goes w/ our Evo's I guess.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Everything under 200k except a modified EVO, which would destroy a stock Z06 in every single way possible (lets say a $20,000 evo with $10,00 worth of mods).
^^^no. and we're back...

if you read the rest of the article in Winding Road, you'll see that they LOVE the ungodly performance of the ZO6, but not its relatively numb steering and chassis. i've seen this comment in a bunch of magazines so there's probably some truth to it. essentially, they say the Z is fast but a little boring to drive. and THIS, the "fun to drive" factor, is where they considerthe evo superior, regardless of 1/4 or skidpad results.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
You my friend are totally 100% WRONG and have shown that you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Put you're issue of Import Tuner down and smell the coffee.

I've posted videos of C6 Z06's running 11.50's@125mph+ bone stock. The car posted the fastest production car time at Nurburgring under 400K.

I posted a video of a C6 Z06 with a exhaust and a cam putting down 547rwhp and add the sauce and it put down over 700rwhp all on pump gas!

The C6 Z06 is not able to compete in SCCA the EVO get's beat by S2000's, which get beat by C4's, which get beat by C5's, which would all get beat by C6 Z06's!!

You show me the EVO that spanks C6 Z06's with 10K mods at the strip and at the at the roadcourse with equal drivers and I'll give you a cookie.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

For all of the handling fanatics read about one of EVOM's very own in the featured car section and his mods etc. Don't forget to pay especially close attention to the part about the "muscle cars" ie mustangs & camaros walking away on a grippy track. What do you think a C6 Z06 would do to a EVO!!!

https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...vomfeatures/44

In the end the EVO's are doing great and is great, but my point is stop saying mustangs, camaros, etc don't handle they do handle well. They don't "feel" as good though, but the times are comparable.

Last edited by Jasil; Jan 27, 2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Blah I have built plenty of cars (DSMs) that have gone faster than 11.5 with less than $10,000.00 (total price, including the car) invested. 11.5 seconds is not really that fast. As far as being a worthy road car, the Z06 simply cannot compete with lighter cars. It will most likely lose an evo on the straightaways, but something lighter like a modified RX7 or suped up 240sx would leave the heavy z06 in the dust. In my opinion what really matters most about a road racing vehicle is NOT it's suspension, NOT its power, but it's curb weight. This is something American engineers haven't learned yet. Oh and yes, if you would like to see a stock evo run a 11.5 (stock clutch stock turbo, he eventually went 10.92 with a stock turbo):

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=curt+brown

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Jan 27, 2006 at 08:51 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
but my point is stop saying mustangs, camaros, etc don't handle they do handle well.
Agreed. But trying to convince some poeple here of that, would be almost like convincing a Supra owner that a 700AWHP Evo is a decent vehicle worthy of discussion.

Quick Reply: Winding Road: Z06 vs. Evo IX MR