Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Winding Road: Z06 vs. Evo IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2006, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sonic, I'm done with you. Go look at the times, tracks, and results of various timed events and the people who really do out and track their cars will vehemently disagree with you.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Blah I have built plenty of cars (DSMs) that have gone faster than 11.5 with less than $10,000.00 (total price, including the car) invested. 11.5 seconds is not really that fast. As far as being a worthy road car, the Z06 simply cannot compete with lighter cars. It will most likely lose an evo on the straightaways, but something lighter like a modified RX7 or suped up 240sx would destroy the heavy z06 in the dust. In my opinion what really matters most about a road racing vehicle is NOT it's suspension, NOT its power, but it's curb weight. Guess American engineers haven't figure that out yet...
hahahhahahhahhaha, dude you rock!!!

oh wait, the z06 IS lighter than the EVO.... hell, the Z06 is lighter than most import cars out there and not by little.

why don't you do a bit more research before you start bashing cars...
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

I love corvettes...
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by i11matticc
z06 is sexsaaaaaay, im not too surprised by the results, theyre saying the evo handles better but the z06 has more power and straightline speed

its difficult to compare the 2...theyre total opposites...one is a awd 4door 4cyl turbo, the other a 2dr rwd big block...to me its impossible to fairly compare the 2 to each other
you may see it that way but i see something like this as a compliment! To be compared to a Z06 is an accomplishment in my eyes.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Both are great cars, but for different reasons.

Evo has better:
- Handling FEEL
- All-weather traction
- Shifter
- Seats
- Passenger and luggage room
- Affordability

Z06 has better:
- Power (duh)
- Weight
- Skid-pad grip
- Super car status / Cool factor
- EPA HWY fuel mileage (believe it or not!)

Tie
- Value (subjective - depends on how you value the above qualities)
- brakes (slight nod to the Z06)
- Interior (both are mediocre)
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blonde
oh wait, the z06 IS lighter than the EVO.
Word. All C6's are lighter, even the convertible is lighter then the Evo. 3132lbs for the Z06.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Word. All C6's are lighter, even the convertible is lighter then the Evo. 3132lbs for the Z06.
it is just amazing to me that evo owners are so defensive about their cars and can not give credit where credit is due. let's be honnest, the z06 is a special car. it uses tons of parts which are normally reserved for 100k+ cars and it performes like cars 4 times its price. it is very similar to the evo in that regard. the evo can beat up cars that costs 60k + (m3, s4 etc..) and the Z06 can do the same (996tt, vipers etc..). now, iif you hate american cars than thats your right but at least use the correct facts if you want to bash the Z06

1) saying that the Z06 is heavy is just stupiid considering the fact that it is soooo light
2) saying that its big engine is not efficiant is stupid because it gets better mpg than an evo
3) saying that the car sucks because it has cheap interior is stupid when it comes from an evo owner (if an M3 owner said that than sure)
4) saying that the car is too expensive is stupid because the only other way to get this kind of performance is to buy a 360 modena or a 996tt

i for one have no problem admiting that i would take a Z06 over an evo any day of te week. i also have no problem giving respect to Chevvy for producing such an amazing car....
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

oh and yes, a tuned evo can beat the z06 but a tuned huyndai can also wipe the floor with the evo with enough money. comapring modded cars to stock ones is never fair. you can always build a faster car if you have the money.. however, the platform that you get with the z06 is way better and thats a fact. lighter body, stronger block, better brakes etc...
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blonde
hahahhahahhahhaha, dude you rock!!!

oh wait, the z06 IS lighter than the EVO.... hell, the Z06 is lighter than most import cars out there and not by little.

why don't you do a bit more research before you start bashing cars...
hahahhahahhahhaha, you don't know what your talking about.

Z06 curb weight: 3130 lbs

3rd gen rx7 curb weight: 2826 lbs

s13 curb weight: 2699 lbs

The z06 is an overweight pig. There is a difference bettween "handles" versus "capability of being handled", and capability of the handler. Don't get me wrong, the Z06 is a beast of a car, but there is nothing special about it. Its powerful, and has rear wheel drive. Ummmm...there are like so many other rwd cars out there that are lighter and can be made to be just powerful with little financial effort. The EVO is also an overweight pig but at least it doesn't cost 70 grand.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:23 AM

hmmm
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:25 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

For those of you who don't want to register to read it. I've hosted it:

http://www.rspec.org/video/windingroad_issue7_12_22.pdf
Right Click "Save As"
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
hahahhahahhahhaha, you don't know what your talking about.

Z06 curb weight: 3130 lbs

3rd gen rx7 curb weight: 2826 lbs

s13 curb weight: 2699 lbs

The z06 is an overweight pig.
Okay, but your two examples have been out of production for several years. Maybe your "point" would carry more weight if you compared it to currently produced RWD's that comply with today's safety requirements. And even if we use those two cars, do you have any proof that they would beat a Z06 on a road course? Stock, of course.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Okay, but your two examples have been out of production for several years. Maybe your "point" would carry more weight if you compared it to currently produced RWD's that comply with today's safety requirements. And even if we use those two cars, do you have any proof that they would beat a Z06 on a road course? Stock, of course.
There is no guarantee (in reality) that someone in a stock Z06 would win against someone in a stock civic ex on a road course (or vice versa). This depends on the ability of the driver. What we are talking about here is theoretical handling limits. I quoted two cars out of production, because they are two great examples of inexpensive machines that can quite easily "out-maneuver" a z06 (stock). If we are talking about modern cars ONLY (which I guess, was originally the topic) the Z06 has very few competitors (why doesn't Japan produce any modern powerful/lightweight RWD cars anymore? ). The lotus elise would probably give the Z06 a run for its money but on a straight-away a z06 would eat the lotus alive.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Like Blonde said, people are just focusing how much they can spend to upgrade their car to compete with the Vette. It is never fair to compare an upgraded car with even 1 mod on their car to a stock car.

Sure, you can spend a little money on the Evo to compete with the level of Vette on a drag strip, but Vette is a Vette and it out-handled an Evo on a road course for sure if you are comparing them stock to stock and same skill amoung the drivers.

For me, I would choose Vette in any day over an Evo if I have the money and choice.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

The point I'm trying to make is this:

You can say its not fair to compare other cars that are modified...wait a second why is it not fair? The Z06 costs 70k. My point is this:

YOU CAN BUILD A CAR FOR $20,000.00 THAT WILL OUT-POWER AND OUT-HANDLE THE Z06.

Maybe this is a obvious point to some, but apparently not to many. I have to admit however, stock for stock in terms of modern cars the Z06 has most other sports cars beat, if you are willing to shell up 70 grand for a car that will not be able to out perform a modified $20,000.00 car.

Quick Reply: Winding Road: Z06 vs. Evo IX MR