Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Winding Road: Z06 vs. Evo IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2006, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hehe I dont think rx-8 and 350z are in Japanese supercar line.
Skyline-gtr is..
by the way what kinda hp your supra is pushing?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
I honestly doubt the Z06 will out handle the Evo in a track enviroment with an AVERAGE driver behind the wheel. All of that 500 hp will prove to be a hindrance not a help and the author noted that. Then just for fun lets put them both on rain tires and see who comes out on top. I dont know if you guys watch Best Motoring Vids or not but the Japanese were not too impressed with the Z06 Vette and its el cheapo interior and finish. Then they took it out and ragged on it at the track and the commentary was not as good as American magazines would make the Corvette out to be.
You're using BEST MOTORING as a basis for comparison???

Ever notice how biased they are? They almost always put the Jap cars in front. And they have totally different drivers on a course for a couple laps? Have the same driver do a time trial like on Top Gear.

I see that **** as entertainment AT BEST.

I just watched a video of theirs where a 360CS lost to an Evo VII!
Old Jan 27, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by nbpal4000
hehe I dont think rx-8 and 350z are in Japanese supercar line.
Skyline-gtr is..
by the way what kinda hp your supra is pushing?
Yeah, you're right. But sadly it's their best 2-door offerings right now.

400hpish

I'm selling it for a C5 Z06. Most fun car I've driven since my NSX.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mkiv808
You're using BEST MOTORING as a basis for comparison???

Ever notice how biased they are? They almost always put the Jap cars in front. And they have totally different drivers on a course for a couple laps? Have the same driver do a time trial like on Top Gear.

I see that **** as entertainment AT BEST.

I just watched a video of theirs where a 360CS lost to an Evo VII!
Yeah, I like BMI, but I find their bias questionable too. IF it is all Japanese cars, okay fine. Toss in a European car, or God forbid an American one and funny things start to happen. They had a C6 (can't remember if it was a Z06 or not, don't think so) in one of their latest DVD's and Tsuchiya took it down the touge. He complained about the car the whole way, saying it was scary and unstable and pretty much undrivable. I mean, come on. The last time I saw a C5 on the grid with the usual lineup of Japanese all stars where they went a few laps around whatever road course they always use (maybe Tsukuba), it looked as if Gan-san was just cruising in fifth gear, not even trying to put up a fight. Whatever. I wrote them off long ago for fair treatment of American cars.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mkiv808
Only a ricer would say 3100 lbs is heavy.

Yes, heavy when you consider it against a 1.3L rotary car like the RX7! Give me a break. Or an S13. C'mon.

You know what else weighs around 3100? Ferrari 360, 430, Enzo. Porsche Carrera GT weighs MORE. NSX weighs more too. Are you trying to tell me an RX7 or S13 could outhandle ANY of these cars on a track, including the Z06?

Go back to the local fast food parking lot, drift king.
Yeah I guess all formula 1 drivers are ricers
Old Jan 27, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
You have such a flawed way to look at data and make valid comparisons it borderlines on juvenile. Why not just say go buy a Ariel Atom and turbocharge it and beat everything then

1. The current Z06 has the fastest production car laptime at Nurburgring for anything under 400K....and it was running STOCK tires! EVO's are 30+ seconds off of that time.

2. You bring up FD's a great autox car, right? They are and they owned their class until the C5 came out. They get smoked all day by C5's and the Zo6 will spank the C5's.

3. Go look at OnelapofAmerica results for the last 5 years. Where are all of the S13, S14, Fd's, etc they handle so great why don't more people run them? The only japanese import to stand a chance so far is the OVERWEIGHT supra!! Go look for yourself. Where was the EVO the last 2 years? Not even close to the top C5's thats where and we're talking about the Z06 how much faster will they be?

4. You use Import Tuner and Turbo magazine logic 2600lbs+450hp= should spank a Z06, but it doesn't!! Go look at real tracks VIR, Willowsprings, TMS and check out what FD's, S13's run nothing, crap, compared to Porsche 911's, Vipers, and Vettes. Keep on believing you're flawed TOONER way of thought it only makes the real import enthusiasts look bad!!

You bring up the money argument which is the ultimate ricer excuse anyway . Like I said go buy a Ariel Atom and turbocharge throw on some tires and nothing is going to come close to that. So, does that mean that Ariel Atom's are better than all Japanes, European, and Domestic Sports cars? Using you're way of thinking YES IT IS

**On a side note FD's are great track cars the limiting factor has always been reliability. The HP needed to compete in the higher levels of competition has always been the achilles heel of the FD. They are great cars, but much over 350rwhp and it becomes real touchy from a reliability standpoint running on the longer tracks or prolonged track times**
What I'm trying to say is: cars with less weight are and always will be superior. Maybe an s13 hasn't laid down any decent times on those tracks, but I'm not trying to say that the s13 or Rx7 is a supercar lol, I simply used them as an example of a lighter car that could lay down the same type performance numbers a 70 grand "supercar" could provide. If I am a ricer because I like going fast for cheap, then I guess I'm a ricer (maybe poor as well). All I'm trying to say is that lighter cars are better. IT IS A FACT. Do the math. Do any of you know what centripetal force is? This is why the Z06 isn't worth the money:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/cf.html

By your reasoning (which is very illogical, and based on a bunch silly track record times that really don't prove anything except how skilled that particular drive was)
maybe it would be better if they entered in a 3100lb indy car into a formula 1 competition? Maybe the extra weight would help! Is the lotus elise a "tooner" or "ricer" car? Any car can be modified to go fast (straight and around turns). What begins to limit the car's ability to take a turn is it's weight. You can change the car's suspension geometry and tires all you want, but in the end, its the above equation what really matter. Maybe Rx7s and s13s didnt get any good track times, but Im sure if there was driver skilled enough (and the car was built well) it would definitely be possible. I have owned several mustangs and an older camaro, I am not a "tooner" fool. I am an engineer, and I'm here to tell you that lighter cars go faster around turns.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Jan 27, 2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is that ball of crap? Of course if you take 2 identical cars and everything remains equal including weight distribution the lighter car will be superior. We're not talking about the same cars are we?

SonicTOONER, go to Rx7club.com and search for Fritzflynn or DamonB. both track their FD's and have many videos of them running down mildly modified Z06's ask them what they think about the C6 Z06 you won't like what they will say I'll tell you that.

What type of engineering do you do? We could have some pretty civil conversations if you catch my drift?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Yeah I guess all formula 1 drivers are ricers
Old Jan 27, 2006, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Doesn't matter if they are the same cars or a different car, you probably don't understand math or physics, but I'll again point you to this link:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/cf.html

The lighter the chassis (on any car) the faster it can theoretically go around turns. Take a physics course.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 04:13 PM

What I'm trying to say is: cars with less weight are and always will be superior. Maybe an s13 hasn't laid down any decent times on those tracks, but I'm not trying to say that the s13 or Rx7 is a supercar lol, I simply used them as an example of a lighter car that could lay down the same type performance numbers a 70 grand "supercar" could provide. If I am a ricer because I like going fast for cheap, then I guess I'm a ricer (maybe poor as well). All I'm trying to say is that lighter cars are better. IT IS A FACT. Do the math. Do any of you know what centripetal force is? This is why the Z06 isn't worth the money:
But they DON'T provide the same performance numbers. Not in any way!

I am all for lightness in cars, but your argument is very flawed. You're talking about light cars with inferior powerplants, chassis, suspension, tires, etc. The weight does not make up for it. RX7's are not even 300 pounds lighter. That's just not enough. Maybe if they were Elise territory in weight.

By your argument, all sports cars made today are not worth the money. Name one well-performing RWD/AWD non-roadster sports car that's below 3000 lbs. Go ahead.

Last edited by mkiv808; Jan 27, 2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

bahah, this thread is rediculous
Old Jan 27, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Ok I'm done arguing with you people lol. All I'm saying is, the lighter the car, the better. I'm not saying the Z06 is a crappy car or anything (because it definitely IS a bad *** car). I'm not saying Japanese cars are better than American cars or European cars for that matter. All I'm saying, is that having a light chassis is very important, and Z06 is way too heavy for me (personally) to think of it as a excellent road racing platform (especially considering it's whopping price). The price/performance ratio for Z06 is very poor compared to what you could have if you just built your own car. If you don't think weight matters you are either:

1.) Uneducated

2.) Incredibly stoned

3.) Have never autocrossed against lighter vehicles

Old Jan 27, 2006, 04:32 PM

There are NO fixed roof sports cars out under 3000 pounds!

You are saying the Enzo, Carrera GT, 360, 430, Viper, etc. are all bad road racing platforms. And road racing and autocross are two TOTALLY different things! Z06 is not an autocross car, it is a road course car! Short wheelbases are also extremely important in auto-x.

Old Jan 27, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

hahahhahahhahhaha, you don't know what your talking about.

Z06 curb weight: 3130 lbs

3rd gen rx7 curb weight: 2826 lbs

s13 curb weight: 2699 lbs

The z06 is an overweight pig. There is a difference bettween "handles" versus "capability of being handled", and capability of the handler. Don't get me wrong, the Z06 is a beast of a car, but there is nothing special about it. Its powerful, and has rear wheel drive. Ummmm...there are like so many other rwd cars out there that are lighter and can be made to be just powerful with little financial effort. The EVO is also an overweight pig but at least it doesn't cost 70 grand.
hmmm, its nice to know that the evo is an overweight pig... silly me, i was sure that 3130lbs for a car of this caliber is not alot but i guess i was wrong.... also, i don't see the 3rd gen rx7 having 500hp from the factory so i don't really understand your point... also, by your logic, all of the following cars are "pigs"

porsche 996tt : 3043
ferrari enzo : 3009
ford GT: 3400
lamborgini marchilago: 3638lbs!!!!

yep, you are right, the 3rd gen rx7 is way better than the above cars
Old Jan 27, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blonde
hmmm, its nice to know that the evo is an overweight pig... silly me, i was sure that 3130lbs for a car of this caliber is not alot but i guess i was wrong.... also, i don't see the 3rd gen rx7 having 500hp from the factory so i don't really understand your point... also, by your logic, all of the following cars are "pigs"

porsche 996tt : 3043
ferrari enzo : 3009
ford GT: 3400
lamborgini marchilago: 3638lbs!!!!

yep, you are right, the 3rd gen rx7 is way better than the above cars
it is, as long as it's got about 20k invested in it

Quick Reply: Winding Road: Z06 vs. Evo IX MR