Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AMS TBE Opinions..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you do to space the bars down safely? That's why I have waited a month to install the stuff because I was not sure of what to do.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsnt
Either the stock turbo or turbo kit downpipe clears the A.C.D. Tcase fine. The stock turbo downpipe requires the front bar to be spaced about 1/2-3/4" and the rear bar clears just fine. The turbo kit downpipe requires both bars to be spaced down. If we started bending them more to clear both bars, they would get more costly to make and as always, more bends equals less airflow and horsepower.

"Well I definatly want loud... not LOUD, but something that sounds mean... and isn't all raspy.."

Our catback is not the quietest on the market, nor is it even close to being the loudest. In fact your description of the exhaust sound you want is exactly what I would describe the sound of our system to someone.
Does it go straight out of the rear bumper, or is it slanted?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Its Got It A Lil Slant Too It! It Looks Really Good Trust Me...
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by race17k
Its Got It A Lil Slant Too It! It Looks Really Good Trust Me...
Any good pics?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

if i knew how to post a video i would..damnit! lemme see what i can do!
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:46 PM
Former Sponsor

The original revision of the exhaust was straight out, but that didn't make the JDM'ers happy. The new style exhaust is slanted slightly, just enough to keep both sides happy.

I use one 12mm nut or a stack of 10mm flat washers between the bar and the crossmember and use an appropriately longer 10mm bolt (I'm talking about thread size not bolt head size, 10mm bolts are usually 14mm hex and 12mm nuts are usually 17mm hex).
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by race17k
if i knew how to post a video i would..damnit! lemme see what i can do!
Put it on: http://www.putfile.com/
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Right now.. I am "STUCK".. and I mean stuck.. between two systems. Apexi GT Spec, and the AMS (cat-back's).... soooooooo tuff, its annoying.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsnt
The original revision of the exhaust was straight out, but that didn't make the JDM'ers happy. The new style exhaust is slanted slightly, just enough to keep both sides happy.

I use one 12mm nut or a stack of 10mm flat washers between the bar and the crossmember and use an appropriately longer 10mm bolt (I'm talking about thread size not bolt head size, 10mm bolts are usually 14mm hex and 12mm nuts are usually 17mm hex).

But wouldn't they have to be a hardened steel bolts so they won't break under stress? Where will I find bolts like that?
Seems like I always have to jump through hoops with this car to make something work right. Maybe I should have left it stock or just sell it and just settle down. Nothing has worked right since I bought it. But then again, you must pay to play.

Last edited by Dayton_EVO; Jan 26, 2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

AMS all the way. Trust me, I am one of the guys who didn't like to original design. As Eric stated, the new design is a happy medium for the JDMers and everyone else. It has a factory fit and it will not burn your bumper. It's down right sexy!

Last edited by M.A.S.; Jan 26, 2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dayton_EVO
But wouldn't they have to be a hardened steel bolts so they won't break under stress? Where will I find bolts like that?
Seems like I always have to jump through hoops with this car to make something work right. Maybe I should have left it stock or just sell it and just settle down. Nothing has worked right since I bought it. But then again, you must pay to play.
Just use regular anodized grade 8 bolts from a hardware store. That's basicly what the stock bolts are. They are "metric grade 7" anodized bolts. If you decide to order a downpipe, make sure you say something to the guys up front about the correct bolts to space the bars and they'll come ask me and I'll make sure the right ones will be included with it.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

to get you an idea......my good friend has the AMS TBE w/ highflow cat and when i ONLY had my apexi gt spec (stock everything else) my car was just a little louder than his @ idle. (deeper rumble to be more descripted)
Old Jan 27, 2006, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grant6923
well ok i have the full AMS exhaust with a CAT i personly think it is quieter than just the cat back exhaust i had before i got the full exhaust. I LOVE IT in town it's quieter, but when you get on it wow does it let loose a good growel. A++ in my book. This is the first jap car i have ever owned, i have had a few BMW M3's, and lambo's and sold my 98 M3 to get this car and love it, i had a full exhaust on my 98 m3 and it is about as loud as this when i'm full on the gas. IMO it isn't ricey i hate those cars. I also have a lotus with a stage 2 exhaust on it and it isn't even that loud in town as the lotus.

not to thread jack but where in wisconsin do you live and can i have a tour of your garage
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2hot2handle
to get you an idea......my good friend has the AMS TBE w/ highflow cat and when i ONLY had my apexi gt spec (stock everything else) my car was just a little louder than his @ idle. (deeper rumble to be more descripted)
Highflow cat makes the AMS quieter tho, so with a test pipe.. im sure the AMS would sound as loud, or louder than the GT Spec?