Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AMS TBE Opinions..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS TBE Opinions..

Ok, I have searched AMS exhaust MANY times. There are mixed opinions. What I am wondering is...

Is the AMS TBE a loud system, or quiet? I have read in threads its one of the quietest you can get, and I have also read its one of the loudest. So.. from the people who read this thread, or the people who have this system.. hows the sound overall? Loud? Quiet? WOT?

Thanks guys.

btw.. this is a un-searchable question because in different threads there are MANY different replies. So I figured I would post this.. so the people who many own the system, or know a lot about it could answer.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:10 PM
Account Disabled

Don't really know, but not to be a asstard but so now just because you started this thread instead of someone else, you will get the "truth" and not mix opinions? What one might think quiet could be loud to others.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:57 PM

well ok i have the full AMS exhaust with a CAT i personly think it is quieter than just the cat back exhaust i had before i got the full exhaust. I LOVE IT in town it's quieter, but when you get on it wow does it let loose a good growel. A++ in my book. This is the first jap car i have ever owned, i have had a few BMW M3's, and lambo's and sold my 98 M3 to get this car and love it, i had a full exhaust on my 98 m3 and it is about as loud as this when i'm full on the gas. IMO it isn't ricey i hate those cars. I also have a lotus with a stage 2 exhaust on it and it isn't even that loud in town as the lotus.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by asstard
Don't really know, but not to be a asstard but so now just because you started this thread instead of someone else, you will get the "truth" and not mix opinions? What one might think quiet could be loud to others.
Ok, then.. w/e. I guess nvm the thread then. Always a damn problem with threads on this board.. I swear. Can't ever find out something by posting a thread without going through **** from people...

Thanks anywayz.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone know which is louder? The AMS without a cat, or the Apexi GT Spec?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

I have the ams exhaust. I had a cat on for the first couple thousand miles. It is not very loud, actually its quite quiet while cruising and normal driving, but if you get on it it will open up and get fairly loud. I just recently put a testpipe on and during normal driving its not that much louder, but at wot....omg its like 3 times louder than with the cat. In my opinion its a great exhaust and if you purchase it you will have absolutely no regrets.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

i have it with test pipe and love it! not loud until you really get on but kinda rumbles when idleing or crusing! couldnt be happier and its a full 3" to without slipfit! i can email you a vid of it with the cat but its not as loud like i said!
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

I have an AMS TBE with high-flow cat. The sound is excellent in all situations. At one point I had a test pipe while running 272 cams and it just screamed at WOT. In my opinion, it's the best looking/fitting exhaust that I've ever purchased. It all depends on what your goals are. If you want it quiet, use a high-flow cat instead of a test-pipe.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Well I definatly want loud... not LOUD, but something that sounds mean... and isn't all raspy..

Any vids/sounds would be welcome. So if u wanna send it, lemme know. I'd glady take it.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Eveolicious
Well I definatly want loud... not LOUD, but something that sounds mean... and isn't all raspy.
An AMS TBE with a testpipe will definitely satisfy you.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eveolicious
Ok, I have searched AMS exhaust MANY times. There are mixed opinions. What I am wondering is...

Is the AMS TBE a loud system, or quiet? I have read in threads its one of the quietest you can get, and I have also read its one of the loudest. So.. from the people who read this thread, or the people who have this system.. hows the sound overall? Loud? Quiet? WOT?

Thanks guys.

btw.. this is a un-searchable question because in different threads there are MANY different replies. So I figured I would post this.. so the people who many own the system, or know a lot about it could answer.

I have the full ams exhaust with the test pipe, it gets a loud under WOT but dam!!! One of the best exhausts and the guys there are awesome!!!
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How well does it fit on ACD equipped evos? Any clearance problems with the downpipe?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by race17k
i have it with test pipe and love it! not loud until you really get on but kinda rumbles when idleing or crusing! couldnt be happier and its a full 3" to without slipfit! i can email you a vid of it with the cat but its not as loud like i said!
If you have sound or vid post it or email it to me. PM me for the email. I just bought the full TBE with the test pipe and mechanical cel fix as well as the S-AFC II and MBC. I thought it might be too loud and don't really know what to expect from the Stage 1 with the TBE anyway. Any clearance issues on an 04 tie bars?

Last edited by Dayton_EVO; Jan 26, 2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Spacers were used on my '05.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Either the stock turbo or turbo kit downpipe clears the A.C.D. Tcase fine. The stock turbo downpipe requires the front bar to be spaced about 1/2-3/4" and the rear bar clears just fine. The turbo kit downpipe requires both bars to be spaced down. If we started bending them more to clear both bars, they would get more costly to make and as always, more bends equals less airflow and horsepower.

"Well I definatly want loud... not LOUD, but something that sounds mean... and isn't all raspy.."

Our catback is not the quietest on the market, nor is it even close to being the loudest. In fact your description of the exhaust sound you want is exactly what I would describe the sound of our system to someone.