Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

20-21 PSI & Track use?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20-21 PSI & Track use?

So once I get all my stuff put on (255pump,FUll i/c pipe,HKS suction,TBE,test pipe,MBC) and the dynoflash..w/ the estimated 20-or 21 psi that I would be running...even though thats 1-2 psi more than stock (though no boost taper) I take it that will be Very hard on the motor then obvioulsy spirited driving.

anyone have 1st hand exp. tracking thier car w/ similar PSI and slightly modded?

I have a track event coming up on a 2mile course in 15-20 min sessions ea (4 sessions in 2 day period).

after seeing videos (BMI/HVI) I take it longer than 15min runs is really rough on even stock vehicles.

just wanted some feedback on what I should be looking at.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
20-21psi is tame. As long as you're tuned by Dynoflash, you'll be fine, because he doesn't tune to the lean edge. Even so, I would still suggest tossing in some 100oct along with your 93oct to keep the octane up a little higher during your sessions. I had the same basic mods when I did my track days, but used straight 100oct and ran 22psi the whole time with a little fuel pulled out on my SAFC, and it was great. You could keep boost where it is, add a little 100oct, and boost happily and safely all day.

Btw, if you haven't already bought all that stuff, I'd recommend foregoing the intake and full IC pipes, unless you just want them for looks. I would recommend a Forge RS DV (stocker sucks) and an LICP, but not a $250 intake nor a UICP.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
20-21psi is tame. As long as you're tuned by Dynoflash, you'll be fine, because he doesn't tune to the lean edge. Even so, I would still suggest tossing in some 100oct along with your 93oct to keep the octane up a little higher during your sessions. I had the same basic mods when I did my track days, but used straight 100oct and ran 22psi the whole time with a little fuel pulled out on my SAFC, and it was great. You could keep boost where it is, add a little 100oct, and boost happily and safely all day.

Btw, if you haven't already bought all that stuff, I'd recommend foregoing the intake and full IC pipes, unless you just want them for looks. I would recommend a Forge RS DV (stocker sucks) and an LICP, but not a $250 intake nor a UICP.
I love how nonchalantly you threw in your sponsor War . Your awesome dude !!! PM coming your way !!
Old Jan 27, 2006, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aux.
I love how nonchalantly you threw in your sponsor War . Your awesome dude !!! PM coming your way !!
Hey, I'm only sponsored by people whose parts I believe in, otherwise I wouldn't do business with them. Every part I have and advertise is a part that I wanted or had before I acquired the sponsorship itself. The sponsorships just allowed me to add those that I didn't already have without hurting the wallet.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

You shouldn't have any problems with the motor at all. With some 100 oct I'd turn up the boost a little, epscially if planning on staying in lower gears. I would however expect some ware on the brakes and tires.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 04:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
I have ran over 22psi for about 9 track events so far in this evo. 3 of them in 100 degree weather. Most events have been about 180-200 on track miles per.

Of course I run 100 octane. It's cheaper than a new motor. You could probably get away with a mix of pump and 100 octane.

Just did a leakdown and comp check 2 weeks ago. Perfect bill of health. 22k miles

Last edited by razorlab; Jan 27, 2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 04:40 PM

I'm setting mine up for track work as well and have the same concerns. I'm starting slightly differently and going with a Forge Radiator, AMS intercooler, and larger oil cooler. Before I go with more power I want to have all my temps. under control.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the Help guys...SOunds like I'll be cool then.
Luckliy here we have 93 oct...and I do some math and try to get enough 100oct to help on each tank since I'll be filling up every other Session I'm sure.

This will be my 1st Real Track event (w/ a Modded Boosted car) so...I have my Gagues set up to monitor the basic's...though some temp gauges wouldn't hurt..Just got boost and Oil press.

as far as the tune goes..I want my EVO quick but not pushing the limits even though the 4g is a beast..I don't want "SUPER Death 1/4 mile ZX12 killer".So I'll settle for 20 to 21psi and have it Dynoflashed to that.

I stick w/ what I guess everyone suggests..LICP is supposedly the Worst part..but for the price i thought might as well do them all.
Already have MR BOV,Hallman MBC,TestP,TBE,intake was CHEAP($180HKS Suction) and just need to get the Fuel Pump,...hook up my gauges and get the tires.
<---newb to the 4g and EVO's...I'm from the STi BTW

thanks again though.