Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The Grinds Shep and TRE Trans.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
shep does al's and AMS' trans and TCs'. turbotrix also has rebuild services, check out their site.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is a TSB out on the 5th gear grind for your car. Most people with that issue take it back the the dealer to have it repaired by Mitsu. If you would rather not take the chance with Mitsu, I don't think you'll get much feedback about aftermarket rebuilders adressing the 5th gear grind that you have, only because most people are having it taken care of by the dealership. But you will find plenty of people here that have had both tranny and t-case issues for other reasons than 5th gear grind, solved, and who are very happy with TRE or Shepard. You can't go wrong with either.

One thing is for sure, I've never seen a post made by anyone saying "I've got a 5th gear grind after Shepard (or TRE) worked on my car."
Old Feb 2, 2006, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Very well said..

Unfortunately, local mitsu. will deny anything...after my performance mod.
tried allready 2 dealer in the area.

I do understand also that the big guys are using shep tranny w/ no complaints..
But i want to be objective and problem specific..therefore, im looiking
for more specific result that had similar problem i have now.
Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
there is a TSB out on the 5th gear grind for your car. Most people with that issue take it back the the dealer to have it repaired by Mitsu. If you would rather not take the chance with Mitsu, I don't think you'll get much feedback about aftermarket rebuilders adressing the 5th gear grind that you have, only because most people are having it taken care of by the dealership. But you will find plenty of people here that have had both tranny and t-case issues for other reasons than 5th gear grind, solved, and who are very happy with TRE or Shepard. You can't go wrong with either.

One thing is for sure, I've never seen a post made by anyone saying "I've got a 5th gear grind after Shepard (or TRE) worked on my car."
Old Feb 3, 2006, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Why don't you try calling both shops and speaking to them. Their rebuilds are going to use the newest/best synchros and other parts that they can. This will most likely be the same or better parts than the Mitsu dealer and you'll definitely get better attention to detail. Their business and reputation stand on their work.

If you wait for an answer to your specific problem you may be here awhile.

That said, my tranny and TC are out at TRE now.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

check out turbo trix i know they just started rebuilding trannys also and their not badly priced,,, but research the quality before you take my input to far- i just remember it catching my eye because of the price
Old Feb 3, 2006, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Send it to TRE, they will not only fix the grind but it will be the best shifting trans you have ever used. Your grind is probably from a bad synchro, stack height, gear, or many other things. Jon will inspect, magnaflux, debur and about 9 million other things I can't remember to insure you have no grind and a sweet shifting tranny. TRE also has a full TSB parts update for the EVO trans.

I have his trans and still cannot believe how great it shifts and has held up to all the drag passes I have on it.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

thanks guys for all the info...

Appreciated.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

I have an appointment to drop mine off at TurboTrix on Monday for the tranny rebuilt.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

What's the pricing on a trans rebuild? Just a ballpark figure even...
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

a lot
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrMejia
a lot
I realize that... thanks for your help
Old Feb 4, 2006, 02:17 PM

You can't go wrong with either. Honestly, like other people are saying, you should get it covered under warranty at the dealership if at all possible. If you really want to rebuild price and service will be your determination. TRE has had response problems in the past, although those seem to be mostly cured now.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Shep doesn't have a 'rebuild' price posted, only a new or upgraded (TSBs done). A rebuild is something somewhere in between. TRE has a starting price of $650.00.
TurboTrix does a full rebuild using new parts for $1500.00.
It's all relitive, prices and expertise are similar. When properly set up, these trannies will handle over 700 horsepower and shift at 10k +rpm. The '03 drivetrain has issues from the factory and need a good massage to work right. Not too many people that have had dealers rework their drivetrain, after it's gone bad, have had great results.
I had the 30k driveline service done at my dealer at 25k. After 1000 miles my transfer case was gone, I took it to another dealer and they replaced it under warranty. After 600 miles it was starting to get loud so I changed the lube to find some very thin oil in there. I'm having it rebuilt too, and not by a dealer, I will be having TTR check it out to see if it can be saved, if not, it's going to Shep.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63 T
Last year broke my shift fork.. saw my mods... denied everything.
There was no TSB for broken shift forks. Why would you expect anything less?

Quick Reply: The Grinds Shep and TRE Trans.