Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Reason why not to buy a stroker motor, from just anyone!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude was the oil pump extra or just thrown in with the motor. If u paided extra he should refund ur money or send u a new one. Otherwise, if he just threw it in with motor that lies on you to replace it. Its pretty messed up how he handled the whole situation. Hopefully ur motor is good?!?!?!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am really sorry to heard that bro. I could write a book on my experiences, I had similar costly experiences, I can see the typical pattern of the vendor that does not stand up to his words and at the end the victim is the customer.

The vendor insist that the parts are good and blame the mechanic and the mechanic insist that the parts are faulty. I don't think you have had as many costly bad experiences as I had.

1) Brand spanking new ACT flywheel plus ACT stage I clutch on my WRX gone bad within few miles, broken throw out bearing. ACT blamed on installation. My mechanic proved me faulty component, I ended leaving the stock WRX throw out bearing. The result was that I paid for labor all the way.

2) 11 years ago I put a whole in a piston on my Plymouth laser RS turbo when smoking a Nissan 300ZX TT at 130mph. A certified Dodge/Jeep /Chrysler mechanic offer to repair my car getting me the parts at dealer cost. My car was down for 5 month, I paid $1300 on parts alone and $1700 to replace the 4 stock pistons. The mechanic called me and said : your car is ready.
The car had absolutely no power, it would stall if you leave it at iddle and it had a loud clunking noise/strong vibration, 3 days later the block exploded exposing broken rod and all kind of nasty crap. The mechanic said: I'll put you a engine for free, just get me another engine. Remember, I already lost just over $3000 and 5 month without a car. Did I for got to mention I use to make roughly$750 a month. I having to apply for a $1000 loan with a 28% interest to pay for a $1000 used engine. The mechanic charger me another $700 for fluids, miscellaneous parts and some fee to have the car at his father place for that long.

3) I purchased two brand new turbos(Mitsubishis 13G) for my Stealth R/T from Majestic Turbos. I paid roughly $1300 for both turbos after shipping and taxes.
The turbos were installed by a good friend of mine mechanic. On my inaugural trip from Texas to Florida crusing at 80MPH the turbos completly desintegrated.
The nut that holds the intake wheels came loose in both turbos causing catastrofic turbo failure. My car had to be towed 140 miles to the final destination. the turbos were nothing but grinded metal. When I called the owner of the company he said that it was overboost causing my shafts to snap from the "tremendous force". When I took it to the Mitsubishi dealer, a stupid mechanic told me that the rotation of the turbine wheels were reverse when I crancked the engine after refueling causing the turbos shaft to snap.
No one believe me that the nuts on the turbine wheels came loose. I neded having to pay costly labor for swapping the twin turbos plus I ended having to buy used turbos from a junk yard $600 for both turbos 8 years ago plus more than $900 in labor from the dealer plus the labor of my mechanic when he installed the new turbos.

I could go on and on, the life is full of SOB everywhere, I am a good guy, other customers/victims would have been much more agresssive(physical agresion). What goes around comes around, the good vendors will be compensated by good customer the bad will never suceed and ultimately they will pay a high price.

I have been very tempted to end my turbomania and just own NA cars like the Porsche 993/997/998 or the Z06. It will all depends on the reliability on my current car. The NA have their advantages on reliability..

my .2c

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Feb 3, 2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrSmile
Well, just my 2 cents, but this would be a reason for me not to SELL a stroker kit to just anyone... IMHO if you can't install a stroker motor, you have no business buying one. Most oil pumps that I've seen fail fail by seizing or leaking oil all over the place. Your situation sounds like someone didn't prime the pump, something rather common. I don't know the person you bought it from but I can totally understand his actions. If you bought something from a vendor, said it didn't work, and you sent it back and it did, they would at least charge you for shipping... This forum appears to be full of prima donnas who spend their time installing HK$ stickers to their rear wing while never actually touching a wrench.
Bull$hit! the pump belongs to the customer. If it was bad he should replace it or refund the money. If it was good, he should send it back. No mater what, the oil pump belongs to the guy who paid for it. If 94AWDcoupe keeps it, he is stealing from the guy. That's plain wrong. Return the pump to the guy and post warnings with your sales "let the buyer beware!!"
Old Feb 3, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tonysevo
This is the same story my friend from Tampa told me about this guy. He does shady things. I would STAY AWAY like the plague form anything he sells. I have read some stories from him on the local tampabaydsm board. Ask around beofre you spend 3k on a used motor. Who did the machine work on it? Where you provided receipts on the machine work done? I hope so .
This is so funny it hurts. I challenge anybody to search tampabay dsm for a bad post. I am the most respected dsmer in the area.

The bad injectors had literally 20 minutes use on them. That guy sent me 14 e-mails and called 3 times BEFORE ever purchasing the injectors. He specifally asked if he could return the injectors if they weren't new like advertised, BEFORE paying. I said no problem. When he recieved the injectors he said they looked great. He called two days later and said he wasn't happy with them, but he couldn't tell me exactly what the problem with them was. He just kept saying since they were from a dsm that they were different and not compatible with his EVO. He then took the injectors to have them checked without my consent or knowledge. I didn pay him the 75 for the cleaning because he was suppossed to send the injectors back for a refund. I have thousands of succesful transactions every once in a while you get bad transaction.

As far as this oil pump thing goes this is equally rediculous. This pump has 4000 miles on it and is the definition of new. The engine was shipped with a light blue plug in the oil pump pickup. It was also shipped without oil squirters. I talked to the mechanic on the phone when the engine did not make oil pressure. I asked how he primed it and he said " we use a preoiler , this is not the first engine we have installed" A preoiler for those of you who dont know is the best way to start a new engine. It pressurized all oil ways with oil just like the oil pump would. The engine would act like any other cold start at that point. But it did not because the mechanic must of missed the oil plug in the pump before installing the pick-up tube. The problem is the mechanic was not honest and made this poor customer pay an additional 700$ for something that was his fualt.

As far as I am concerned I did nothing wrong. Yes it is not right for me to keep the pump since the customer paid for it. But it is even worse that the customer is asking me for money for a mistake his mechanic made. I really had no intention of keeping the pump without consent. That statement was made in anger. My only concern is showing to all future customers that I didn't make a mistake and sell a 3500$ block with a bad oil pump. I will be returning the pump after it has been determined by a reputable third party that the pump is perfect. I will post pics as soon as a good camera gets here.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
This is so funny it hurts. I challenge anybody to search tampabay dsm for a bad post. I am the most respected dsmer in the area.

As far as this oil pump thing goes this is equally rediculous. This pump has 4000 miles on it and is the definition of new. The engine was shipped with a light blue plug in the oil pump pickup. It was also shipped without oil squirters. I talked to the mechanic on the phone when the engine did not make oil pressure. I asked how he primed it and he said " we use a preoiler , this is not the first engine we have installed" A preoiler for those of you who dont know is the best way to start a new engine. It pressurized all oil ways with oil just like the oil pump would. The engine would act like any other cold start at that point. But it did not because the mechanic must of missed the oil plug in the pump before installing the pick-up tube. The problem is the mechanic was not honest and made this poor customer pay an additional 700$ for something that was his fualt.

As far as I am concerned I did nothing wrong. Yes it is not right for me to keep the pump since the customer paid for it. But it is even worse that the customer is asking me for money for a mistake his mechanic made. I really had no intention of keeping the pump without consent. That statement was made in anger. My only concern is showing to all future customers that I didn't make a mistake and sell a 3500$ block with a bad oil pump. I will be returning the pump after it has been determined by a reputable third party that the pump is perfect. I will post pics as soon as a good camera gets here.
The mechanic did not make a mistake...when I first called you about the lack of oil pressure you said, they must of installed something wrong...I said -I doubt that shop is a well respected shop that builds and install motors in this area.
Then you said you bet they didnt prime it...I told you it was best that you talk to the shop ...you called them... and they explained to you that everything was done correctly and their procedures and explained why it was determined it was the pump...you didnt want to hear it and stated it couldnt be the pump because you said those pumps rarely go bad and basically tried to blame the mechanic. When I called you back to see what are you going to do since my motor i paid you for had no oil pressure...you said maybe the left the plug in the pick up tube. Sounded like you were reaching for an excuse to blame someone else...
Old Feb 3, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

If it were me, and this is just the type of person I am, I would make very sure that he either returns the pump, or refunds you the money of the pump + shipping.

The fact is, you payed for that pump and so it is YOURS. He cannot "keep" it. if it were me in your shoes, I would get legal help because this guy sounds like a real crook.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DrSmile
Well, just my 2 cents, but this would be a reason for me not to SELL a stroker kit to just anyone... IMHO if you can't install a stroker motor, you have no business buying one. Most oil pumps that I've seen fail fail by seizing or leaking oil all over the place. Your situation sounds like someone didn't prime the pump, something rather common. I don't know the person you bought it from but I can totally understand his actions. If you bought something from a vendor, said it didn't work, and you sent it back and it did, they would at least charge you for shipping... This forum appears to be full of prima donnas who spend their time installing HK$ stickers to their rear wing while never actually touching a wrench.
This comment justifies NOTHING!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

You really need to admit to the board you have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever. So your opinion of whether the pump is bad or not really relies on what your mechanic told you.

When an oil pump goes bad it seizes. Only then does it stop pumping oil. Did I send you a seized oil pump ? The fact that your mechanic could not get it to prime is your mechanics fault. When I talked to him on the phone I was clueless as to why an engine would not pump oil after being primed with a preluber. I had no explanation for him. I only told him that I assure him that the pump was assembled correctly and he must be missing something. At that point he got short with me like I was accusing him of being a bad mechanic. I didn't remember the plug being put in the pump until late at night sleepless over the whole ordeal. When I called you in the morning the pump had been had already been taken off the car. I explained to you then that there was not a very good chance that the mechanic was going to admit he made a mistake. Your only move at that point was to believe what he said and buy a new pump.

I had you send the pump back full well knowing there was nothing wrong with it. Thats why I clearly stated I would refund you for a new pump if the pump was faulty. The pump is not faulty so you are not entitalled to a refund.

Its also nice you left out that it is you that first got all huffy when we were trying to negotiate a settlement.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Feb 3, 2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Everybody who has a comment on how he is due his pump back please STFU. I have already admitted he is getting it back. If you have some helpful knowledge on how pumps work and how they might not prime that would be helpful info to share. Cause that is what this conversation is about. WHO IS AT FAULT for the pump not priming?

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Feb 3, 2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 04:18 PM

[QUOTE=alby988]
I will be returning the pump after it has been determined by a reputable third party that the pump is perfect. I will post pics as soon as a good camera gets here.[/QUOTE]

how about you dont and just send the pump back to him so HE can post pictures. and please, stop being a c-u-n-t
lol yep
Old Feb 3, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

94AWD, just send the guy the pump back and be done with it...It appears that is all he is asking for.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

All he is asking for is to slander my reputation. He or anyone on this board would really have no clue that I am not an average joe looking to take advantage of someone but actually a dedicated 4g63 enthusiast and an exceptional mechanic with a five week waiting list to get into my shop.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

I had you send the pump back full well knowing there was nothing wrong with it. Thats why I clearly stated I would refund you for a new pump if the pump was faulty. The pump is not faulty so you are not entitalled to a refund.

Its also nice you left out that it is you that first got all huffy when we were trying to negotiate a settlement.
Did you read what you just wrote?...

Anyways I will no longer go back and forth with you on this forum... I think all points i had to make has been made...I will only respond to other members if they have questions.

Me get huffy? There was no negotions you were trying to make ...remember this:
I wrote:

The pump didn't work...I really appreciate it if I was refunded for that part...I could understand if you had a problem with me asking for $710.33 which is my total bill for the oil pump being pulled and replacement of the new one...but I ate the labor costs and my bill is paid in full except the $210.00 which I explained to them I was waiting for the refund.

Sellers reply:

I would be happy to refund money for the pump if it was bad or at at least questionable. Not the case. It didn't work because your mechanic made a mistake. I can only indirectly prove this by showing you there is nothing wrong with the pump.I could submerge the pick-up in oil and turn the pump with a drill and show you how well it pumps oil. I could post on evoM so you could see how silly this argument is.

In short your mechanic made a mistake. And you are asking me to pay for part of it when it is perfectly clear to me I had nothing to do with this mistake.

My reply:

If you want to post it on EvoM ...go ahead! I'm finished with the back and forth emails..."it works-no it doesnt-it works - no it doesnt" The pump was the reason there was no oil pressure = it doesnt work...of course if you can turn it with a drill it'll pump some oil. Did you put it on an engine and crank it to see if it creates the pressure needed?
But anyways send me your paypal address I'll send you the shipping, so you can return the pump.

Sellers reply:

I am keeping the pump. I am gonna use it on my own motor.
My reply:

How are you going to keep the pump and not pay me for it...the pump was sent back for you to refund the costs of me replacing it. If you're not refunding my money...please send back the pump! I Honestly I didn't believe I would be going through this with you
Please send my money or send my pump back!

His Reply:

The problem is you insist i sent you a pump that was bad. why would i bother sending a bad pump back to you? if pump is good then your mechanic should foot the bill, end of story

The only thing you wanted was to buy the block and pump from my damaged engine...and i would crazy to turn around and sell you anything after you was shady with the pump.

Like I stated this ends any back and forth "he say she say" with you.

Either send my money or send the pump back...if you dont...

Well I learned a lesson and the evolutionm community learned "Why you shouldn't buy a stroker motor, from just anyone"
Old Feb 3, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

was the plug still in the pump when you got it back?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

The bad injectors had literally 20 minutes use on them. That guy sent me 14 e-mails and called 3 times BEFORE ever purchasing the injectors. He specifally asked if he could return the injectors if they weren't new like advertised, BEFORE paying. I said no problem. When he recieved the injectors he said they looked great. He called two days later and said he wasn't happy with them, but he couldn't tell me exactly what the problem with them was. He just kept saying since they were from a dsm that they were different and not compatible with his EVO. He then took the injectors to have them checked without my consent or knowledge. I didn pay him the 75 for the cleaning because he was suppossed to send the injectors back for a refund. I have thousands of succesful transactions every once in a while you get bad transaction.

I hope you never have future customers. You need to send his pump back to him ASAP no questions asked. Learn how to do good business jackass

Quick Reply: Reason why not to buy a stroker motor, from just anyone!